• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cuba low on fuel

Johnny-O!

Since about August fuel for local consumption has been missing in most gas stations in Havana. Diesel especially, as it has been diverted for government machinery (use). So those guys that got suckered into putting pricey diesel engines into their 52 Chevys are sitting at home a lot lately. The majority of those diesel engines were put into the cars to be used as more efficient taxis. Lines, long 8-9 hour lines for either fuel. Gasoline seems to be available but you still have to get in line. On the streets you see less cars and more motorcycles and electric scooters. Many don't go to work because they cant get there. Kids if they have to go far, don't got to school 2-3 days at a time. Certain busses are not running. The price set by the government for shared independent taxis has gone through the roof (for locals). For example, a shared taxi from El Laguito factory to Partagas factory used to be 50 cents. Then $1, then $2 now it is $5/per person. Nothing for us but a whole lotta money for the locals. Don't want to be alarmist just letting you know it might take longer to move around. If you decide to rent a car lets hope you don't need more than the tankfull they gave you. If you wander off into the countryside you might be walking back. John

Oh, wow. Any notion on when relief might come? Why the shortage of fuel, and are any other necessities in critical supply, as well? Hope that you all get a break soon. That sounds horrible, and it really makes you realize how much we rely on fossil fuels -- enough to cripple us. Best of luck!

It has been said that the orange haired guy is blocking Venezuelan fuel tankers coming in to Cuba with US military ships. Do not know if that is true but it has been said by both sides. They must be re-routing it through another country and this is taking longer. I also think that at some point (probably August) they went to zero reserves because of this blockade. So it might take a while to catch up. On a side note, a high weapons technology Russian Navy ship "Admiral Kasatonov" was in the port of Havana in late June trying to show some muscle. There are continuous shortages...for a while cooking oil, then chicken, then bread. Not too long ago I had families asking me to bring them table salt. You're kidding, right? The Cuban beer is MIA or suspect. I don't know how many times I have taken a sip from a just opened beer and thrown it away. Lately I bring my own from the US. In May-June there was always 100-200 people in line to get into a mini-mart. Many locals have told me this situation is worse than the 90's when the Soviet Union collapsed and subsidies disappeared. John

Last edited:
The lines are back, everywhere. And there is a catch. They are only giving priority to those who have a credit card issued by the Cuban Government for government approved vehicles. State owned Taxis, the Grand Car tours, busses and other government vehicle drivers have these cards. Rental cars, local drivers even if you have cash you cant get in line. They are also selling their old car rental lines to the public at incredible prices. For example a 2009 Hyundai Accent is 36,000 CUC. John

Hope all is well with everyone and their families. American has scheduled flights starting July 9 from MIA, which seems like 10 years from now. Cuba's COVID numbers are fairly low, zero deaths in the past 4 days and only 9 new cases. The population is struggling with long lines at food stores and the police don't want anybody on the streets unless its necessary. The military has intervened and are running the food stores. Many items are scarce. Besides food, my mother in law told me to bring her light bulbs. Paladares have been closed since March. Items on parallel markets are being seized heavily, as there is basically no movement on the streets. Now you can get fuel but what for? Only good news is that cigar factories are producing at 100%. John