• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

cuban emulation

broblues

planning and plotting
I fell in love with Cuban cigars on a recent trip and would love to get some suggestions on legal cigars that are on par with or at least close to the illegals.Thanks, Steve

Another Steve! Me, too. Welcome to CP!

Some of the Don Pepin Garcia cigars have been likened to some Cuban cigars. But I'm afraid you'll have to make up your own mind as to whether one cigar tastes like another.

The good news is you'll generally have a great time doing it! :laugh:

Edit to add: Try some Johnny O Cazadore Pigtail. You even have to store them at a low RH but they are, shall we say, reminiscent, which is a great cigar description!

I fell in love with Cuban cigars on a recent trip and would love to get some suggestions on legal cigars that are on par with or at least close to the illegals.Thanks, Steve

Another Steve! Me, too. Welcome to CP!

Some of the Don Pepin Garcia cigars have been likened to some Cuban cigars. But I'm afraid you'll have to make up your own mind as to whether one cigar tastes like another.

The good news is you'll generally have a great time doing it! :laugh:

Edit to add: Try some Johnny O Cazadore Pigtail. You even have to store them at a low RH but they are, shall we say, reminiscent, which is a great cigar description!

You're kidding, right?

Look for cigars that taste good on their own not cigars that taste like something else. You'll be less disappointed that way.

Nothing tastes like a Cuban cigar, but a Cuban cigar. Nothing tastes like a Nicaraguan cigar, but a Nicaraguan cigar. Nothing tastes like a Dominican cigar, but a Dominican cigar. Because the taste comes from the dirt.

Doc.

I've heard of Johnny O, kind of waiting to learn more and understand the processes here before I jump in with both cutter and lighter in hand. Thanks for your help.

Best way to learn about cigars is to jump in. You will find a lot of different opinions on every cigar out there. The best you can do is try as much as you can, if you are looking for recommendations be specific, state what you have tried and liked and what it was you liked about them. What Doc and Alan have said is some of the best info you will get. If you are looking to try a sampler of different sticks try posting in the newbie trade thread and you might get the chance to try some great smokes and find some new favorites.

As for a non-cuban that tastes like a cuban good luck on that. Some say Tat's have that flavor some say Pepins but I personally have never been able to find one that is close enough for me to spend my money on as a replacement.

Nothing tastes like a Cuban cigar, but a Cuban cigar. Nothing tastes like a Nicaraguan cigar, but a Nicaraguan cigar. Nothing tastes like a Dominican cigar, but a Dominican cigar. Because the taste comes from the dirt.

Doc.

Is that what Drew Estates are getting at with their 'Dirt' cigar range? ;)

I think a lot of the Tatuaje cigars are on an even keel with some of the Cuban selections. They re obviously going to have a different flavor profile, or at least to a certain degree.

But I also have to agree with Napa, just jump in and see what YOU like. Taste is subjective and something that is really interesting when you think about how similar we are, but yet so different.

Illusione and Tatuaje are the two brands I've found that have similar profiles to CC's, however they are a bit stronger.

Doc's right though (he usually is), nothing is going to taste like a CC other than a CC.

What flavors did you like about CC's? Or maybe a couple of brands. Different CC's have different profiles, so not all CC's taste alike either.

I really enjoyed the Maduro 5. Amazing...great flavor which didn't take 1/2 of the cigar to develop, pretty strong but still so very smooth. I only smoked one Vegas Robaina, but one was enough to make my brain want more. It's kinda like catching a 200 pound Halibut then fishing for bluegill....just not the same anymore.

Whatever cigar you choose, make sure the tobacco needs to be aged for a couple of years before it smokes great and the construction is hit or miss. If the draw is tight, you'll have yourself a cigar that is very comparable to the Cubans.

I've pick up some Cuban like flavors from San Cristobal Robostos. They've also got that Don Pepin pepper flavor, but there are some Cuban like tastes there as well.