• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cuban Newb in need of Advice

HT73

Here's a copy of a pm that I sent to CC. Figured I'd throw it out there and see what others had to say. Thanks for the advice CC. Think I'll take you up on your suggestions. :thumbs:

Just looking for a little advice here. Let me apologize in advance if my questions appear ignorant. Let me start by listing what I have just recieved as my first cubans:

Montecristo No. 2
H. Upmann Connoisseur No.1
Partagas Série D No.4
Romeo y Julieta Exhibicion No.4
H. Upmann No. 2
Romeo y Julieta Exhibicion No.3

First question, how long should I leave these in the humi before smoking? Dumb question, I know. :whistling:

Next, would anyone recommend smoking these in any particular order?

Having asked that, a little history is in order. I've only had the pleasure of smoking 2 cubans so far, a RyJ #2 and Montecristo petit tubo. I really liked the RyJ. I enjoyed the "sweet spicyness" of it. Again sorry for the lack of accuracy here. I've been smoking AF Hemingways and RP Edge (corojo and maduro) and enjoy their flavor profile.

Do any of the above (cubans) have a similar profile? If not, is there any that you'd recommend? Thanks.

Let them rest for at least 2 weeks, 1 month is even better. All the sticks you have are good. There is no order in smoking cigars, the best thing to do is one a day. This will allow you to get the full flavor. As you try each smoke take notes on each step, this will allow you to remember what was really good for the future. Good luck and enjoy.

occifer143 is absolutely right. If I am you, I will let them rest for at least one month or so. Some Cubans really need longer time to get out of their "sick period". Welcome to the dark side ;)

Thanks for the advice occifer143 and Gaman. I will be going on a long needed vacation to Florida next month and hope they're ready by then. :thumbs:

HT73 said:
First question, how long should I leave these in the humi before smoking? Dumb question, I know. :whistling:

[snapback]254601[/snapback]​

Not dumb at all IMO.

Personally, I prefer Cuban cigars with atleast 2-3 years of rest. At a bare minimum you should let them stablize for 4-6 weeks before even thinking about touching them. From my experiences, Cuba sometimes rushes to put cigars out on the market and this leads to fresh product that is harsh and unrefined.

assuming they have a year on them, I'd let em sit a month in your humi.

I would smoke in this order:

R&J, Upmann, Monte, Partagas.

I like to let mine sit for a while. I have some sticks (non-ISOM) hitting 7 years. I find that Cubans need to hit the 2 month mark before things are stable. If you can hang on to them go for 2-3 years and you will never want anything else :D .

I'd let them rest for a minimum of 2-3 weeks to balance out. As for your second question, the only two I would consider similar are the Monte #2 and H.Upmann.

P.S. Neither question was dumb in any way. If some of the more experienced members would answer differently than I did, I would carefully consider my own answers. Especially the first question.

As has been said, not a dumb question at all.

How long you should wait to smoke your cigars depends on what you are after. Most people allow their smokes a short rest (2 weeks or longer)in their humidor after shipping so that the cigars can evenly humidify. This does not mean that the cigar can not be smoked right away. An evenly humidified cigar is more likely to burn correctly, especially if acclimated to 65% or lower, than one that has been exposed to different enviroments through shipping and smoked right away. I have smoked many cigars out of a box when first received and sometimes get lucky with a no hassle burn but not always. IMO, other than the burn issue, there is very little difference in waiting 2 to 6 weeks. The longer the smoke rest the better it will be humidified to your liking.

Now when it comes to aging cigars you are talking another ball game all together. I don't think thats what you had in mind when you asked the question how long before you smoke them so there's no reason to go there.

It does not matter which order you smoke them. Someone mentioned one a day.... if you don't regularly smoke multiple cigars a day then one a day is good advice so that you can discern the differences. Try to keep your smoking enviroment somewhat the same if you are trying to compare these cigars. Smoking one inside vs smoking one outside in freezing weather will make a difference.

IMO, everyone has a different taste profile. We could (and I have) give ten people the same cigar and their taste profile be all across the board from mild to full body.... Sweet to harsh.... Nasty to the best smoke they ever smoked. My point being that only the individual who is smoking the cigar can really answer what the flavor profile is to a cigar. Trust your own experience and don't count on or discount a cigar because of someone elses opinion. Its why they make choc and vanilla ice cream. ;)

Allofus123 said:
IMO, everyone has a different taste profile. We could (and I have) give ten people the same cigar and their taste profile be all across the board from mild to full body.... Sweet to harsh.... Nasty to the best smoke they ever smoked. My point being that only the individual who is smoking the cigar can really answer what the flavor profile is to a cigar. Trust your own experience and don't count on or discount a cigar because of someone elses opinion. Its why they make choc and vanilla ice cream. ;)
[snapback]255767[/snapback]​

Exactly right. Trust your own taste. Never second guess. Other people's opinions can provide points of reference but only you can tell if a smoke is right for you.

That said, if the cigars were packed well and feel good in the hand (upon giving a light squeeze) they might benefit from 0-1wk. If there is the slightest evidence of crispy wrapper or cracking or a light stick, 6 weeks minimum if you store them loose. IF you get a box, more like 3-4 months. Just to be sure.

Wilkey

Hell, I smoke em the minute the box arrives period.

The only way a cigar lasts longer than a week in my humi is if I have a stock on hand which is the case.

I would wait 2-3 days and smoke one. any longer than that is just painfull waiting time ;)

theorangeman said:
Ironworker, now that's some serious will power! :laugh:
[snapback]256952[/snapback]​

He has more will power than me. I buy a Cuban and I smoke it immediately. I've been good this year and now have saved sticks. And its taking some will power for sure. I just smoked my last Boli I had in my humi since Feb. :(

But now I've been letting sticks sit for a min of a month if I have other sticks to smoke in the mean time.

Ironworker said:
Hell, I smoke em the minute the box arrives period.

The only way a cigar lasts longer than a week in my humi is if I have a stock on hand which is the case.

I would wait 2-3 days and smoke one. any longer than that is just painfull waiting time ;)
[snapback]255903[/snapback]​

You are joking right? :laugh: