• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cuban Rum

lucasbuck

Sheriff Buck
I'm looking into aquiring some Cuban Rum. Maybe the Havana Club 7yo and HC Reserva Anejo. I'd like opinions from those that have imbibed these or any other Cuban Rums. I've never had the pleasure so any reviews or insights at all are encouraged and welcome. Thanks guys :)

I too would like to get my hands on some if anyone has a source or can get it :D

The 3yr old Anejo is better than the HC7...... so I've heard. :lookup:

Now if you can find 15 year old we need to talk. :thumbs:

There are a ton of differnt Cuban rums. As far as Havana Club there are three readily available varieties. The 3 year (a white mixing rum), the Anejo Reserve (light brown multi purpose rum) and the 7 year (darker brown and a decent sipping rum). There are some other HCs, like the silver (which is not very good and should only be used as a mixer) and the elusive 15 year.

If you are getting it just to have Cuban rum, then the Anejo Reserve or 7 year would be your best bet.

If you're getting it to find an excellent rum that you want as a premium drink, you may want to skip it and get some Ron Zacapa Centenario from Guatemala. Or, you may want to look into the Pyrat line.

I think one of the better sipping Cuban rums is Liberacion 15 year. It wasn't until very recently that I had tried any and it is a good sipping rum.

I have a few of these and my favorite is the Ron Z. Great neat or on the rocks....

I haven't tried Liberacion though but I seem to recall someone telling me that it was pretty bad.......may have been the 7 year old not the 15 though... :D

Though not Cuban Rum the "Ron Z" is a great sipping rum. Its much sweeter than most. One of my favorite as well.

I do know that the 15 yr Liberacion that I was fortunate enough to share with good company was very good. Smooth, plenty texture, and not extremely sweet. Of course that could have been the Latour screwing up my taste buds.
laugh.gif

Thanks for the info guys. I've got a much better idea of what to get now :)

While I realize this isn't Cuban rum, I've found my favorite rum in the world, and it is a Puerto Rican rum: Ron del Barrilito -- the three star variety. I've had literally hundreds of kinds of rum, some aged 20 years and more, and I've still never found a rum that's as smooth as this $18 a bottle baby.

Here's a Wine Spectator review of it:

http://www.winespectator.com/Wine/Archives...75,1319,00.html

I bought it for $18 a bottle down in Puerto Rico -- I haven't found a place locally that sells it yet, but I'll keep trying. On the Internet, you can buy it here:

http://www.internetwines.com/rws24104.html

But it is $27 a bottle. Still a bargain at that price, IMHO.

I would put the Ron Z and the Pyrat over Havana Club 3 or 7 years easy.

After reading this and after the night I've had at work.........

I think 2 fingers of HC7 will make for a nice night-cap tonight...... ;)

Good to see a rum thread....my beverage of choice with a cigar.

For the money, HC Anejo Reserva is a better bet, IMHO. When I go to Mexico, I will drink this neat, or mixed, depending upon my mood. Not that there's anything wrong with HC7, it's just a taste preference.

Outside the Cuban rums, I've enjoy Matusalum - nice for sipping neat. Also --- Pyrat (sweet), Ron Z (sweeter), and one I've enjoyed most recently - Zaya. Zaya is also Guatamalen, in fact, I believe it's distilled across the street from Ron Z, and distributed by the same people.

I've had both the HC Anejo and the HC7 and love both.
Don't discount the Appleton Estate 21 year old. Not bad at all :)

ooooooooooooo.... I want a source for HC too!!! :)

I've never had any of it, I've heard from people who have been there (cuba) is it amazing, and the best rum period. I'd love to try it. :thumbs:

I was on a business trip in London last month and I sampled some cuban rum. I'm not much of a rum drinker, but I figured it would be intersting to try while I had the chance. I had Havana Club, I think the white (cheapest). I wasn't overly impressed, but I suppose it could be just because I'm not a big rum fan.

I have had the HC Anejo and found it to be the best I had ever tasted. Then I have not had any experience with fine spirits, unless Jack Daniel's Gentleman Jack or Captain Morgan qualify. :p

I heard that the HC Anejo is quite readily available, but I have no source, as with any ISOM Product, it is not legal to buy in the US

Sailor Jerry's will beat Captain Morgan anyday, anytime. it is found in most bars and is a great dark rum.

:thumbs: