• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cuban Stock Royal Selection

Marco-Polo

Go Irish Go!
Cigar: Cuban Stock Royal Selection Robusto, http://www.crowndavid.com/cig_csroyal.html
Manufacturer: Crown David Cigars, www.crowndavid.com
Size: Robusto, 5x50
Filler: Dominican
Binder: Dominican
Wrapper: Connecticut
Price: 6.30, bought Sunday at SJ Cigars in Springfield, PA

Preamble
I stopped in at my local B&M for a smoke - not necessarily a good idea when doing work on the motorcycle (think "highly flammable") but certainly a good reward afterwards. I picked up my intended stick, a Fuente Cuban Corona, a second one as I passed, and then the owner/manager (the only person I've seen working there, at least) suggested one which he brought from behind the counter: a "cuban stock". I've never heard of them, but he described it "like a Hoyo de Monterrey, but Dominican". It looked really nice, slightly "box pressed" (box squished), nice wrapper, solid. Okay, I'm always up for a challenge.

Appearance
Looks very nice - smooth wrapper,, no imperfections. Doesn't look at all like the "light connecticut" that the website (which I found after the fact) describes. Looks like a medium brown. Primary band at the top and secondary band at the foot are a little gaudy.

Construction
I went for a walk with my dog while smoking it. I smoked it past the band. It burned straight. It ashed once in 40 minutes. It drew perfectly. Ash was bright white, when I looked at it with a flashlight. Enough said?

Flavor
Started off rather like a Hoyo - very woody. After the first half-inch, it started to really come into its own. The wood retreated, a bitter cocoa flavor came in, and a very fragrant top note - vanilla & nutmeg, baking spice appeared (it sounds like total cigar puffery, but it smelled like my wife's fresh-baked cookies). As I progressed, the bitter cocoa continued but the top note changed, first to a slightly spicy ginger, then to a caramel or toffee odor. Very nice.

Conclusion
I've never had this brand before. When I look at the website, it doesn't look 100% like the cigar I had - slightly different primary band, no band at the foot. The cigar I had was very good - by no means the best smoke that I've ever had, but best of the ones I've had in the last 2 months at the very least. At $6.30 not cheap, but I'd buy one again, no question.