• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cubans -- a mixed bag?

Mojo

So, I've made the foray into Cuban cigars at last, and while I'm not done, I've been a bit disappointed at least at the outset. I've tried about 4-5 sticks so far and my overall thought is that for the same money, I've had better NC cigars for less. So far, I've tried a Cohiba Siglo I, a Bolivar Beli, a RyJ (not sure which exactly, small ring gauge, make 6 inches), and a Sancho Panza Beli. I still got a pretty good sampling of others to go to, and I plan to acquire some RASS and Quintero.

The best by far has been the Cohiba. An absolute delight! Has that real leathery taste that seems to be mentioned when people describe Cubans. It smoked exceptionally even and cool, build quality was great. A wonderful cigar, Cuban or not. But, its pretty much been downhill from there. The worst was probably the RyJ, and the others somewhere in between. I haven't found these others to be that flavorful generally and the build quality has been spotty. Nothing truly horrible, but I suppose I just expected more.

I'm curious whether this has been the experience of others who have made the jump to Cubans. I'm committed to trying a larger sample and am not ready to abandon the effort, but based upon my experience so far I guess I expected more. Are Cubans like the Opus -- the cigars just can't match the hype? Maybe I've just run into a spot of bad luck? I know there are number of folks on the board who smoke exclusively or nearly exclusively Cubans. What's the draw? Thoughts?

Mojo

Mojo said:
Are Cubans like the Opus -- the cigars just can't match the hype?

Maybe I've just run into a spot of bad luck?
No.

Probably.

Of course not every cuban will be stellar, and if you compare them to PAMs and Opus and other super high end NCs there won't always be a huge difference, but I'd be shocked if you like cigars and don't find many cubans that really impress you. Keep trying.

I'm putting on my helmet for the responses to this but...

The majority of the RyJ's are sold because people know the name. I haven't been impressed by any of them. I think they are the definition of the cuban cigar that people will buy just because it's cuban.

I think Sancho Beli's are supposed to be known as a light cuban, where the Bolivar should be towards the full side. The bolivars I have had from 01 seem pretty medium to me.

To address the "for the price" angle, if you buy cubans in canada, you will rarely, if ever, get anything "worth" smoking over an NC.

Finally, it always comes down to personal taste.

Mojo said:
I'm curious whether this has been the experience of others who have made the jump to Cubans. I'm committed to trying a larger sample and am not ready to abandon the effort, but based upon my experience so far I guess I expected more. Are Cubans like the Opus -- the cigars just can't match the hype? Maybe I've just run into a spot of bad luck? I know there are number of folks on the board who smoke exclusively or nearly exclusively Cubans. What's the draw? Thoughts?
Yes, Cubans are a mixed bag, there is no question about it. You will have more Cuban "duds" than you might be used to, but when you find some that are on, the experience is wonderful.

In the end, they are just cigars. Some are good, some are bad. Some cigar lines you'll like, some you won't. There is no broad brush that you can paint all cigars from Cuba with; the tastes vary from cigar line to cigar line, as does the quality. Some you'll like, some you won't.

Your choices of which Cubans you're liking jibe with mine -- you have good taste! ;) But remember, you need to try a number of cigars from any line before you can really get an idea how they smoke/taste.

"Yes, Cubans are a mixed bag, there is no question about it. You will have more Cuban "duds" than you might be used to, but when you find some that are on, the experience is wonderful."

and the contradiction

"There is no broad brush that you can paint all cigars from Cuba with; the tastes vary from cigar line to cigar line, as does the quality. Some you'll like, some you won't."

they are cigars, i haven't had many duds from any given island or country. But FAKE cubans will have a very high average of crappyness. Moki is just bias to opusX :D

IMO ya can't just smoke three or four cigars, everyone being a different brand to make an accurate judgement about Havanas.

I personally think you went with four bad choices to begin with. Contrary to popular opinion, I think Cohibas are boring. I never did like RyJ's, and Bolivars don't really float my boat either. SP's are not bad, my favorite of the four you tried.

You should try at least five (I think you really need to smoke a box) before you can really decide if you like them or not.

Try these (at least TWO but preferably FIVE of each):
H. Upmann Mag46
Punch Punch
RASCC
SC La Fuerza
SLR Serie A
VR Famosos
Boli CJ
Qd'O Gran Coronas
RASS (if you insist but they are my least favorite of the RA line)
JL Seleccion #1

THEN try Quintero Brevas or Nacionales. I would not smoke a Quintero first as it will knock you on your a$$ :0

Once you get done doing all or most of that, check back with us ;)

Are Cubans like the Opus -- the cigars just can't match the hype?

Absolutely NOT. There is no taste in the world like Cuban tobacco. Many have tried to replicate it elsewhere and they have all failed.

Fuente & Padron make great cigars but their limited supplies of their high end cigars make then hard to get, thus the hype and the mark up. I like their high end stuff but I cannot justify the price. Havanas can be had for much less, that is uh, if it were legal to buy Cuban cigars in this country :lookup:

Cuban cigars may be "hyped" by some, especially those who smoke them only for attention and snob appeal, but they other 95%+ of Cuban cigars smokers smoke them because they enjoy the flavor of them and the excellent construction, draw and burn characteristics that are usually not found in cigars from other countries in the same price range.

I really appreciate the input. I'm by no means calling it quits on the Cubans. Just getting some feedback on my initial input. I've got another 8-10 different types of Cuban sticks in the humi that I'm planning to try out (a number of which you listed). I appreciate the recommendations CC, I'll definitely make a point of trying as many of those on your list as possible.

I think I understand what you mean by the trademark Cuban flavor profile. They definitely have a distinct flavor -- even among different brands. I always thought it was interesting when I'd read blind reviews in mags like Smoke where folks would be able to distinguish Cubans from domestics. Not that I'm able to do it by a long shot at this point, but makes more sense now have sampled a few.

Mojo

DaveC said:
they are cigars, i haven't had many duds from any given island or country. But FAKE cubans will have a very high average of crappyness. Moki is just bias to opusX :D
Not a contradiction at all; just what I've noticed. I've had to pitch away far more Cubans than anything else, especially 99-01s. Just something you have to factor into the cost. To their credit, the construction does seem to have gotten much better.

I too am not a big fan of RyJ's. But like anything, people have different tastes.
I love RASCC's and just had a few San Cristobal - El Principe's that I really liked too.

coventrycat86 said:
Cuban cigars may be "hyped" by some, especially those who smoke them only for attention and snob appeal, but they other 95%+ of Cuban cigars smokers smoke them because they enjoy the flavor of them and the excellent construction, draw and burn characteristics that are usually not found in cigars from other countries in the same price range.
You mean like the folks who make a big public production on going 100% to the "dark side"? :)

I'm curious where the 95%+ statistic comes from, Mr. Pedant. ;)

moki said:
coventrycat86 said:
You mean like the folks who make a big public production on going 100% to the "dark side"? :)

I'm curious where the 95%+ statistic comes from, Mr. Pedant. ;)
My observations thus my opinion. (This is an answer to the 95% statistic question ;) )

This isn't the political forum and you aren't AVB so don't look for any bul$hit "sources"

moki said:
DaveC said:
Not a contradiction at all; just what I've noticed. I've had to pitch away far more Cubans than anything else, especially 99-01s. Just something you have to factor into the cost. To their credit, the construction does seem to have gotten much better.
I've had to pitch FAR more non-Cuban cigars than Cuban cigars.

Havanas - less than 1%
Lower priced domestics - 10% to 20%
Higher end domestic - well, I'm too cheap to pitch most of them but it's aggrevating putting up with poorly burning cigars or ones that have stems which result in an incredibly crooked burn. This happend to me with two PAM 26's and at $20.00+ per stick, I was not happy :angry: If I did pitch these, the percentage would be 5%. I've had plugged Anejos and very crooked burning Opus X and you know me, I haven't smoked anywhere near the number of these as I have Havanas.

Again, besides taste/flavor my big reason for prefering Havanas is only having to toss them 1/5 to 1/10 of the time I do with domestics.

especially 99-01s

Yep, I have a box-o-SLR Serie A from '99 and most are a nice firm draw but a few were too tight for my preference. I just smoked one like that an hour ago. A poker solved that problem very easily and the cigar wound up smoking perfectly :thumbs:

coventrycat86 said:
I've had to pitch FAR more non-Cuban cigars than Cuban cigars.

Havanas - less than 1%
Lower priced domestics - 10% to 20%
That's because you're smoking freakin' Acid Kuba Kuba's -- ya cheap bastid. ;)

Nope, I steer clear of Acid, Drew Estates, Lars Teten, etc.

By low end domestic, I mean specials, bundles, etc. from the big internet sellers, all long filler. I've had lots of bad Mayorgas, HORRIBLE Don Mateos, plugged Puros Indios, soakin' wet (brand omitted to protect the guilty), the list goes on and on.

I think the 10% - 20% was on the conservative side. :0

coventrycat86 said:
By low end domestic, I mean specials, bundles, etc. from the big internet sellers, all long filler. I've had lots of bad Mayorgas, HORRIBLE Don Mateos, plugged Puros Indios, soakin' wet (brand omitted to protect the guilty), the list goes on and on.
Like I said... ;)

Keep at it Mojo,.

It has taken me a while to be bettter able to understand the difference between ISom and NC cigars.

No it doesn't always hit you upside the head. However often when smoking a NC cigar you will recognize what you are missing.

Also IMHO, as far as my experience has set forth, aged ISOMS are far more palatable than aged NC cigars.

Actually, this weekend I said to my friend, with whom I was smoking, that I'm starting to see what the "Cuban flavor" is. Since I started by smoking only Cubans, I noticed how suddenly a Nicaraguan cigar gave me the similar taste of a Cuban (I think it was a Savinelli). So far Cubans haven't impressed me as much as the non-ISOMs I got in my newbie sampler. I think I'm getting the hang of this "earthy" flavor. This is something that connects all Cuban cigars.

Maybe I just like non-ISOMs better or maybe I need more experience? I'm guessing the second alternative... :)