• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cubans Copy Dominicans!

gmiranda33

According to CA, Habanos just announced that they will release the Cuban Cohibas with a maduro wrapper. This is funny to me because General Cigars just released the Dominican Cohibas with a maduro wrapper. IMHO these new Cohibas Black as they are being called are by far better than any real cuban Cohibas I have ever smoked.

I am going to have to agree to disagree with you on this one ;) Not to the fact that the Cuban's copied DR Cohiba, but that these new "Cohiba Black's" taste better then Cuban Cohiba's. ;)

I just saw these Cohiba Blacks at my local B&M.
Look interesting, but I've never had a good experience with a Cohiba with a little red dot.

How does Cohiba Black compare to the Cohiba XV? I'm a fan of the XV, but skeptical of everything else red dot.

Nick

Yea i saw those were coming out also. Should be interesting.

According to CA, Habanos just announced that they will release the Cuban Cohibas with a maduro wrapper. This is funny to me because General Cigars just released the Dominican Cohibas with a maduro wrapper. IMHO these new Cohibas Black as they are being called are by far better than any real cuban Cohibas I have ever smoked.

Weird. I haven't had any "Cohiba" from General Cigar that is worth smoking, let alone better than the Cuban flagship cigar.

Guys a little history on the Cuban Cohiba for those of you whom might not know. Being of Cuban descent, it is difficult for me to like something that was created by a Communist. Cuban Cohibas were not around before Castro. When Castro came into power, he created and established the Cohiba brand. It is my opinion that some of the cuban Romeos & Montes I have tried have always been better than the Cohibas.
Again, thats just my opinion. Just as I think the DR Cohibas are better than the Cuban Cohiba in terms of consistency and quality.

Guys a little history on the Cuban Cohiba for those of you whom might not know. Being of Cuban descent, it is difficult for me to like something that was created by a Communist. Cuban Cohibas were not around before Castro. When Castro came into power, he created and established the Cohiba brand. It is my opinion that some of the cuban Romeos & Montes I have tried have always been better than the Cohibas.
Again, thats just my opinion. Just as I think the DR Cohibas are better than the Cuban Cohiba in terms of consistency and quality.

I'd agree with you on that... but I don't agree that the DR Cohibas are anywhere near as tasty as the Cuban variety. And I say that as a person who has no qualms about stating a preference for a cigar regardless of country of origin.

As for your stance on Castro, it's understandable, and I agree with you.

I like to seperate political opinion with personal cigar tastes, for me a cigar is a cigar and a politician is a politician, I don't judge one based on the other. IMO, no DR Cohiba can come even remoting close to a Cuban one.

Well I like the XV, I personally think if they took the XV re-released it as a different brand name it would sell double what it dose now. Simply because people want to avoid the red dot Cohiba name. As for the rest of the red dots they never did anything for me. There construction is great, I recall a red dot that actually burned perfect. It seems when a company tries to make a NC that’s like a Cuban it turns out to be garbage. When that company goes and makes a cigar that’s its own beast then it succeeds while holding the same name. Here’s hoping the Cohiba Black are there own beast.