• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cubans in Punta Cana

I'm traveling to Punta Cana in a few months, and I'm interested in trying my first Cuban. Does anybody have any information on if they exist there? I've heard from friends that they have them in the hotel cigar shop, and of course street vendors... but I'm not that dumb.

I've also heard from my local cigar shop owner that Cohibas are actually some of the worst Cuban cigars. He's recommending Ramone Allones, Punch, and one other I can't remember. Since these aren't the hottest brand, I'm assuming they're not counterfeited as much. Any thoughts guys?

Unless you know someone who knows the know, I'd be wary of buying any Cuban's in the Dominican Republic.

With respect, your local cigar shop owner knows zip to make that kind of statement, Cohiba's are great smokes IMO,
guess he has a different opinion ???

Brian

Unless you know someone who knows the know, I'd be wary of buying any Cuban's in the Dominican Republic.

With respect, your local cigar shop owner knows zip to make that kind of statement, Cohiba's are great smokes IMO,
guess he has a different opinion ???

Brian
AMEN :0

It's hard to find legit Dominican brands, let alone Havanas, in Punta Cana.

As someone who owns a house in Casa Campo (La Romana), and travels there frequently (I'll be there in a couple of days for a while), as well as travels over to Punta Cana, take it from me...do NOT attempt to buy ISOMS there. You will encounter more fakes and trash than you ever thought possible. They are everywhere.

Stick with simply bringing your own sticks, or picking up some Leon Jimenes or La Auroras while you're there.

Stick with simply bringing your own sticks, or picking up some Leon Jimenes or La Auroras while you're there.

I am also going to Punta Cana the end of April and I plan on taking my own ISOM's and Fuente's to smoke while I am there...why waist the time looking for these there when you can get them cheaper here. Anyway you stated that Leon Jimenes or La Auroras are the way to go...could you give me some advice on just how to go about that? I wanted to go on a cigar factory tour while I am there but all I get from members at the Travel forum is to go to Don Lucas or Domenico's factories and buy the cigars there...well I do not think so!

Some guidance in finding these while I am there would be great!

eyetek

I am also going to Punta Cana the end of April and I plan on taking my own ISOM's and Fuente's to smoke while I am there...why waist the time looking for these there when you can get them cheaper here. Anyway you stated that Leon Jimenes or La Auroras are the way to go...could you give me some advice on just how to go about that? I wanted to go on a cigar factory tour while I am there but all I get from members at the Travel forum is to go to Don Lucas or Domenico's factories and buy the cigars there...well I do not think so!

eyetek

Those are pretty much available anywhere and everywhere there. In La Romana, there is a store called Jumbo that is kind of like a Dominican Super Wal-Mart. They have everything from grocery store foods/meats/deli/dairy/bakery, to music, to clothing (they have the nicest linen guayaberas there, though in the DR they call them chacabanas, to beautiful, pristine cigar selections. Very inexpensive too as the DR peso is in pretty bad shape. I have a house and staff in Casa Campo, but if you are at a resort and want to venture off of it, make sure to arrange a driver with the resort ahead of time. Best to not try to find taxi services outside. Also, avoid mentioning that you are on the look for cigars. You'll be steered towards ISOMS (most badly done fakes at that). Instead just try to mention that you are looking for a multi-goods, dry goods store like Jumbo (don't think they have one in Punta Cana, but it's been a couple of years since I last went to Punta Cana itself). Or, if you stress it enough, say you are only looking for Jimenes' products. They will still try to hock some ISOMS on you though.

But, enjoy it. It's absolutely gorgeous there and, for the hugely most part, the people are amazingly gracious, kind and caring. Hospitality there is amazing.
Enjoy.

eyetek

Those are pretty much available anywhere and everywhere there. In La Romana, there is a store called Jumbo that is kind of like a Dominican Super Wal-Mart. They have everything from grocery store foods/meats/deli/dairy/bakery, to music, to clothing (they have the nicest linen guayaberas there, though in the DR they call them chacabanas, to beautiful, pristine cigar selections. Very inexpensive too as the DR peso is in pretty bad shape. I have a house and staff in Casa Campo, but if you are at a resort and want to venture off of it, make sure to arrange a driver with the resort ahead of time. Best to not try to find taxi services outside. Also, avoid mentioning that you are on the look for cigars. You'll be steered towards ISOMS (most badly done fakes at that). Instead just try to mention that you are looking for a multi-goods, dry goods store like Jumbo (don't think they have one in Punta Cana, but it's been a couple of years since I last went to Punta Cana itself). Or, if you stress it enough, say you are only looking for Jimenes' products. They will still try to hock some ISOMS on you though.

But, enjoy it. It's absolutely gorgeous there and, for the hugely most part, the people are amazingly gracious, kind and caring. Hospitality there is amazing.
Enjoy.

I can't tell you how much help that is...just what I was looking for. I guess I will be coming home with some nice DR cigars after all.

eyetek

Whenever traveling to the D.R., I always bring my own cigars. Remember Punta Cana and Punta Plata are tourist spots and cigar vendors love peddling fake ones...

Just bring your own and enjoy the trip. In most cases, you'll meet up with another BOTL and exchange cigars to smoke...

From my understanding... it is actually more expensive for the DR to sell Dominicans locally, similar to chocolate. The Dominican is one of the leading producers of the cocoa bean, but they have to export it for it to actually be made into chocolate, and then reimport it. When I was there, we couldn't find any chocolate, and what we did was damn expensive.

I also had a connection with a guy who worked with my wife who was from the DR. I had him get me some sticks a couple times when he went back to visit... but the brands he had access to were pretty crappy. Since most the locals can't afford to purchase the same sticks we get, they don't house to many. Knowing this has made me pretty weary of buying Dominicans in the DR, for fear of fakes. I am sure however that there are similar shops as the LDCH's there... and it looks like a few people have posted prior about this.

I would recommend bringing back some pure vanilla (very cheap), and a bag or two of ground coffee found at the airport. It's not the freshest, and it's not KillerBeans, but it's cheap... and worthing bringing back as a way to extend your dominican experience.

If your schedule permits, try taking some tours of the Cigar makers down there. It is an eye opener and quite an education on cigar making. Enjoy yourself!! :thumbs:

there used to be an official LCDH in the la melia hotel in punta cana, but i'm not sure if it's still there anymore. i went to the DR years ago and i did find geuine cuban cigars there, but that's because i knew what to look for. i will say that 95% of the "cuban cigars" i did see there were fake though.

oh yeah, i was in puerta plata at the time.

bruce