• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cubans over rated!

Status
Not open for further replies.

nubman

Banned
Being in Canada I have the opportunity to smoke a lot of Cuban cigars. I have friends that bring me cigars back from there all the time. I actually plan on going myself next year on vacation. Although there are some Cubans that I really enjoy, (Montecristo petit edmundo, Partagas series D #4, Cohiba Esplendidos), I find "Cuban cigars" in general to be over hyped and over rated. To me there is not a lot of variance in flavor profiles between the different brands. Many seem to have a common base flavor of salty leather with different amounts of pepper mixed in there. Basic tobacco and wood flavors seem to be a common thread as well in my opinion. Another huge problem I have with Cubans is the fact that at least half the ones I get are rolled far too tight to get a reasonable draw. I have heard that this used to be a big problem but it has since been corrected. I beg to differ. I'm tired of clipping a $30 cigar only to blow an ear drum trying to draw on it. Fortunately I don't pay Canadian prices for them too often but the few times I have I was very upset. In my opinion there are far better non Cubans out there (Padrons, DPGs, La Auroras, Fuentes...to name a few) to even care if I ever see another Cuban cigar. There are many more interesting blends, sizes, wrappers,shapes...etc. to be found with the non Cuban offerings to keep me happy. Don't get me wrong I will still enjoy the odd Cuban when I get one that draws but I wouldn't lose sleep if I couldn't get them any more.

Different strokes for different folks.......

I wonder if Andrew will chime in on this thread? :sign:

...I find "Cuban cigars" in general to be over hyped and over rated.....

...I'm tired of clipping a $30 cigar only to blow an ear drum trying to draw on it....

...There are many more interesting blends, sizes, wrappers,shapes...etc. to be found with the non Cuban offerings to keep me happy. Don't get me wrong I will still enjoy the odd Cuban when I get one that draws but I wouldn't lose sleep if I couldn't get them any more....

Well, that is quite a rant. And I believe I have a solution for you:
DON'T SMOKE THEM!!!

See? Problem solved and you didn't even have to get worked up about it ;)

- Tim

Lol...Thanks for the great advice! Unfortunately more often than not I can't smoke them due to the poor draw. I seem to have better luck with the bigger ring gauges so I stick to those, although I had a Series D #4 the other day that wouldn't draw. I just think that with the prices of these things that they would have better quality control. I guess they are pumping out so much product they don't have time to draw test them. Sorry if I offended you dude, if you ever want to trade some Padron Anniversaries for some cubans let me know. In my opinion there isn't a Cuban out there that comes close.

This has been discussed ad nauseum...smoke them drier, you'll have less draw problems. Many other points, but I'm not rehashing everything here.

None of us would know as they are illegal here in the United States of America. But from what I here, Canada is the mecca for fake Cubans.

To help you determine if yours are fake, here is a picture of some genuine Cubans
Genuine Cubans

Lol...Thanks for the great advice! Unfortunately more often than not I can't smoke them due to the poor draw. I seem to have better luck with the bigger ring gauges so I stick to those, although I had a Series D #4 the other day that wouldn't draw. I just think that with the prices of these things that they would have better quality control. I guess they are pumping out so much product they don't have time to draw test them. Sorry if I offended you dude, if you ever want to trade some Padron Anniversaries for some cubans let me know. In my opinion there isn't a Cuban out there that comes close.

No offense at all Nubman, I was just having some fun. Welcome to Cigar Pass :laugh:

Honestly, I think you should always smoke what you like. If hoards of people rave about some brand or other that you try and find unappealing then don't smoke them. It doesn't mean a damn thing other than you don't like them. And as you pointed out, there are so many great cigars out there that you do like, why waste your time on something you don't.

And taste is truly subjective. Take a peek at THIS thread to see 10 guys get humbled in a blind taste test and pay particular attention to the fact that the reviews for each cigar are all over the place in terms of rating, flavors tasted, and overall impressions. It's great stuff.

"Life is too short to smoke bad cigars" or, more accurately, "Life is too short to smoke cigars you don't like".

Also, try jkim05's advice and smoke a few Cubans a bit drier - maybe in the 64% RH range and see if that helps with the draw and burn issues. A tight draw can ruin any cigar.

- Tim

None of us would know as they are illegal here in the United States of America. But from what I here, Canada is the mecca for fake Cubans.

To help you determine if yours are fake, here is a picture of some genuine Cubans
Genuine Cubans
ROTFLMAO! If it were early morning here there would be coffee all over my screen.

Brian

I don't smoke the heathen communist sticks either. However, with this post, you're saying

come whip my ass!

There are many here with more taste buds than you and me who will take umberage. Might as well post something political.

Another huge problem I have with Cubans is the fact that at least half the ones I get are rolled far too tight to get a reasonable draw.

From my limited experience (around 15 different boxes, and sampled some singles), I do not have much tight draw problems.
I think it helps to store them in lower humidity level (~63%).
The only tight draws I had was from a box of RASCC.

Yep... he will... "Cubans" is a meaningless term. I'm positive that the original poster will find some marcas that he likes, and some that he doesn't from Cuba. Same with cigars from anywhere.

For the same reason that I think positive generalizations shouldn't be made about "Cuban cigars", likewise, negative generalizations should not be made about "Cuban cigars"... because they are both too broad brush, general statements.

The one thing I do agree on is that in the minds of neophytes, "Cuban cigars" are up there where "French wine" used to be... in other words, exalted perhaps beyond what they should be.

They are all just cigars... smoke what you like.

The only Cubans that really fascinated me where two sisters, but that is another story in the naked city.

Cigars that come from that country are good as other countries out there. Do smoke what you like.

There is nothing like a grape WO for breakfast!

No offense at all Nubman, I was just having some fun. Welcome to Cigar Pass :laugh:

Honestly, I think you should always smoke what you like. If hoards of people rave about some brand or other that you try and find unappealing then don't smoke them. It doesn't mean a damn thing other than you don't like them. And as you pointed out, there are so many great cigars out there that you do like, why waste your time on something you don't.

And taste is truly subjective. Take a peek at THIS thread to see 10 guys get humbled in a blind taste test and pay particular attention to the fact that the reviews for each cigar are all over the place in terms of rating, flavors tasted, and overall impressions. It's great stuff.

"Life is too short to smoke bad cigars" or, more accurately, "Life is too short to smoke cigars you don't like".

Also, try jkim05's advice and smoke a few Cubans a bit drier - maybe in the 64% RH range and see if that helps with the draw and burn issues. A tight draw can ruin any cigar.

- Tim
Thanks for the advice Tim. It's not that I don't like Cuban cigars per sey it's just that I get very frustrated at the consistent tight draws. A friend gave me a RyJ churchill a couple of years back and I loved it even though it was on the mild side. I went and bought a box and every single one was too tightly rolled. I tried to dry them out a little and it didn't help. I poked the heck out of them as I tried to smoke them but that only helped slightly in some cases. I don't make a habit of smoking cigars I don't like but it kind of sucks when you like a cigar and half the time they are not smokable. When I get a properly rolled series D I admit I am in heaven for about an hour. When it's too tight I chuck it in disappointment. I guess I shouldn't generalize and paint all Cubans with a widestroke brush but I honestly think that they have been lagging for a while when it comes to quality control and innovation. I believe most of the Cuban cigar makers have been resting on their laurels and have been surpassed in many cases by offerings from the Dominican, Nicauragua and Honduras. I think they are starting to realize this and have been trying some different things, (more maduros, larger rings...etc.) For a country that supposedly has ideal growing conditions I just expect a little more I guess. If the embargo is ever lifted I shudder to think of what that will do to an already compromised quality control.

Yep... he will... "Cubans" is a meaningless term. I'm positive that the original poster will find some marcas that he likes, and some that he doesn't from Cuba. Same with cigars from anywhere.

For the same reason that I think positive generalizations shouldn't be made about "Cuban cigars", likewise, negative generalizations should not be made about "Cuban cigars"... because they are both too broad brush, general statements.

The one thing I do agree on is that in the minds of neophytes, "Cuban cigars" are up there where "French wine" used to be... in other words, exalted perhaps beyond what they should be.

They are all just cigars... smoke what you like.

I couldn't agree more, Andrew.

After reading this thread I've concluded that I want my 5 minutes of life back :sign:

Seriously, Nub. Other's have said it well, but I'll say it "best," SMOKE WHAT YOU LIKE.

Another huge problem I have with Cubans is the fact that at least half the ones I get are rolled far too tight to get a reasonable draw.

From my limited experience (around 15 different boxes, and sampled some singles), I do not have much tight draw problems.
I think it helps to store them in lower humidity level (~63%).
The only tight draws I had was from a box of RASCC.
Yes,

His experience with draw problems in contemporary Habanos is certainly not typical. Once he straightens this out, he might find that he enjoys them a whole lot more.

Wilkey

You come into the Cuban forum to say Cuban's are overrated? ???

Look at me I'm wearing Neal's pants!! :sign:

DG

Status
Not open for further replies.