• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Custom Humidor

Rickets

Hi all, just had some questions on humidors.
I'm a fledgling woodworker who's about to embark in building my own cabinet humidor. I'm thinking the usual base cab height of 34~35 inch tall- 27~32 inches wide- 24 inches deep. The interior diamensions should be close to that, minus 6 inches for the interior height.

Here's the question. With that type of space height, what would one have to do to keep the upper and lower humidity as close to desired percentages as possible. I've read that having a fan on all of the time isn't optimal for the sticks exposed to the currents. Would it be better to divide the space into two compartments? Wouldn't drawers help in protecting the cigars if there were fans?

The other question is, would the cab benefit from a peltier cooling system (provided I place insulation between the exterior carcass and the humidor lining)? The temperature in Hawaii is usually in the mid 80's (inside the house).

I know it's been done a hundred times, but I just keep reading how some are experiencing difficulty in regulating their humidity in taller cabinet style humidors. In the end, it seems that everyone just lives with the humidity gradient.

Just was wondering what was everyone's thoughts on this.

Use the Heartfelt Beads. Example: http://www.heartfeltindustries.com/products.asp?cat=65%25+Rh+Humidity+Beads
I had a coolidor before getting my 3k stick humidor out with the Avallo system from the storage unit. I put the beads at the very top in the back so the humidity would get up there without a problem. Plus its so humid down here near the Gulf that the Avallo System doesn't run a whole lot. LOL!!!

You could use CPU fans. It would be best if you synchronized them them with the humidifier. I've also seen other applications such that the fans turn on for 2-3 minutes every hour.

I've been usinging a pound of 65% beads in my travel bag and I can see even in that short stack, that the humidity is off by 5%. I have the beads on the top of the boxes and have a small battery powered fan that shoots up the air from the bottom of the bag.

Now, would it be worth the hassle+money+time to incorperate a cooling system in the cabinet?

You can have balanced humidity and balanced temperature.

Anything more than a cooler'dor is an indulgence... so whatever you can afford is what makes sense for you

You can have balanced humidity and balanced temperature.

Anything more than a cooler'dor is an indulgence... so whatever you can afford is what makes sense for you

Long time Arlin.

Rickets, you might want to strike up a conversation with this fellow. ;)

Thank you for the advice. When this holiday season is over, I'll get started and will surely post pics of the project. I've been getting so slammed with work, I hardly have time to watch my son (almost 2 yrs). I guess thats a good thing for now.

The Heartfelt beads work very well. They will absorb and release moisture to create balance. Probably the cheapest way to go as well.