• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Custom Spanish Cedar 'Boxes'

ThankYouForNotSmoking

Self-Proclaimed Everyman's Man
Hey,

As some of you know, I have a wine cooler-dor. I'm itching for an upgrade and I thought that having special Spanish Cedar boxes constructed to fit the coolder-dor would be neat. Basically, I want big boxes that fit and stack exactly inside of my humidor, no varish, just plan cedar through and through. Anyone got an idea if these are done, I would approach a custom humidor builder, but I didn't want to waste their time if someone else is doing it already.

Thanks!

I'm working on a set of very similiar items for another member here as we speak. I'm not sure exactly how you want yours done, but I'd be willing to help. Just let me know.

Wade

I built several humidors and have worked a lot with spanish cedar

like these?

http://www.cigarmony.com/store/index.php?cPath=49_28

~Mark

I'm working on a set of very similiar items for another member here as we speak. I'm not sure exactly how you want yours done, but I'd be willing to help. Just let me know.

Wade

Where do you get your spanish cedar? I had to have my double sided spanish cedar plywood custom made! (ouch!)

~M

like these?

~Mark

Wade

Where do you get your spanish cedar? I had to have my double sided spanish cedar plywood custom made! (ouch!)

~M
Not quite, but close. Instead of building the boxes to fit a particular cigar size, I want them to fit inside my wine cooler-dor. I thought that would be the best way to maximize space in my coolerdor, since box tetris only gets you so far.

like these?

~Mark

Wade

~M
Well, I can't build them for anywhere near that cost as those are dirt cheap. Now that being said, I make mine out of solid spanish cedar not veneered plywood as these are made of.

I get my cedar at Woodcraft or online sources. There's many out there that'll ship wood to your door. It's a little more expensive, but if you cant buy it locally....or e-bay always has it listed too, I've bought some there and it's been very nice wood.

Wish I was worth a shit making dove tail joints :(
Those are actually made with finger joints not dovetails. Dovetails are not really that difficult with a good jig, same with finger joints.

I don't think I've ever seen a cigar box that had dovetails, but then again, I am a noob, to cigars that is, not necessarily woodworking! ;)

Wade

Hey,

As some of you know, I have a wine cooler-dor. I'm itching for an upgrade and I thought that having special Spanish Cedar boxes constructed to fit the coolder-dor would be neat. Basically, I want big boxes that fit and stack exactly inside of my humidor, no varish, just plan cedar through and through. Anyone got an idea if these are done, I would approach a custom humidor builder, but I didn't want to waste their time if someone else is doing it already.

Thanks!

Thanks a great idea! I wanted to make or have made some cumstom spanish cedar shelves or trays to fit the groves in my wine cooler too. After weighing up the cost though I eventually lost interest. I like where your going with this though. Instead of using the factory boxes, just use say dividers inside the big boxes to seperate sticks. I'm picturing big wide and deep boxes about 4-5" tall in place of each rack in the wine cooler. hmmmmmm very interesting idea! Slot cut on the bottom for good air/humidity flow through. Too bad it would probably end up costing as much or more then I paid for the whole setup. Be sure to keep us updated on this! Inquiring minds want to know!

Well, I can't build them for anywhere near that cost as those are dirt cheap.

It's funny you say that Wade because many people think they are expensive (and I don't disagree) but having them made by a local woodworker is what drove the price up (labor) not to mention the wood was special ordered for the project. Not sure I would do it again after the stock runs out. I spent a weekend helping him cut and assemble them...I think he actually screwed himself on the price! Man, what a pain to make!

Thanks for the tips on locating lumber :thumbs:

~Mark

like these?

~Mark

Wade

~M
Well, I can't build them for anywhere near that cost as those are dirt cheap. Now that being said, I make mine out of solid spanish cedar not veneered plywood as these are made of.

I get my cedar at Woodcraft or online sources. There's many out there that'll ship wood to your door. It's a little more expensive, but if you cant buy it locally....or e-bay always has it listed too, I've bought some there and it's been very nice wood.

Those are actually made with finger joints not dovetails. Dovetails are not really that difficult with a good jig, same with finger joints.

I don't think I've ever seen a cigar box that had dovetails, but then again, I am a noob, to cigars that is, not necessarily woodworking! ;)

Wade

I can't do finger joints either. I have a router and built a router table, but have not tried the jig. Mark's cedar boxes are very reasonable.

like these?

~Mark

Wade

~M

Wade

I can't do finger joints either. I have a router and built a router table, but have not tried the jig. Mark's cedar boxes are very reasonable.
For dovetails yes, the router is the way to go, box or finger joints, the table saw is your best friend. :thumbs:

Hey,

Thanks!

Thanks a great idea! I wanted to make or have made some cumstom spanish cedar shelves or trays to fit the groves in my wine cooler too. After weighing up the cost though I eventually lost interest. I like where your going with this though. Instead of using the factory boxes, just use say dividers inside the big boxes to seperate sticks. I'm picturing big wide and deep boxes about 4-5" tall in place of each rack in the wine cooler. hmmmmmm very interesting idea! Slot cut on the bottom for good air/humidity flow through. Too bad it would probably end up costing as much or more then I paid for the whole setup. Be sure to keep us updated on this! Inquiring minds want to know!

I'm PMing back and forth with Wade, he's really great and helpful.

I was thinking about just doing plain, cedar boxes cut to fit the coolerdor, which works out to be 13in wide, 12in long and I was considering 3in deep (13in across the 'face' of the box, 12in to the back that is). I'm not using the racks anymore because they're all curved and funny, and in general make box tetris harder to play. I'm considering finding a flat one of the right size to put back in when I get the boxes, but right now that type of shelving is just annoying, so I put the boxes I access regularly at the top of my coolerdor and the ones I've tucked away for aging at the bottom. I'm also thinking about 1/4in strips on the bottom of the boxes so that they aren't stacked right on eachother, but have some breathing (or if you're Ginseng - molecular diffusion) room. I'm also thinking about 1/4in thick spanish cedar for the boxes, but I'm waiting for Wade's opinion on that, because I know nothing about woodworking and whether or not that's too thin or what.

Hope that gives you an idea.

And here are pictures of my coolerdor as of this morning:
El Cooladores!

Well, I can't build them for anywhere near that cost as those are dirt cheap.

It's funny you say that Wade because many people think they are expensive (and I don't disagree) but having them made by a local woodworker is what drove the price up (labor) not to mention the wood was special ordered for the project. Not sure I would do it again after the stock runs out. I spent a weekend helping him cut and assemble them...I think he actually screwed himself on the price! Man, what a pain to make!

Thanks for the tips on locating lumber :thumbs:

~Mark

As you know Mark, I purchased 3 of them from you and they are beautiful little boxes. They are expensive but then it depends what you are comparing them to.

You can buy 25 cigars and the box is free. You may be able to get similar boxes from China or some other cheap labor place. From what you describe above, the guy cannot make bucks hand making each box.

BTW, please ship me another three :laugh: . I assume you still have my CC details. How is that, after my statement above I want more. ???

Brian

BTW, please ship me another three :laugh: . I assume you still have my CC details. How is that, after my statement above I want more. ???
Brian

:D ROFLMAO!

Sorry bro, I don't save ANY cc info. It's a "real time" authorization for your security :thumbs:

Glad you dig 'em! I have tried to "out source" them but (like everything) there is a min order requirement - typ. 5k-10k units min ???

Thanks again!
~Mark

Brian

:D ROFLMAO!

Sorry bro, I don't save ANY cc info. It's a "real time" authorization for your security :thumbs:

Glad you dig 'em! I have tried to "out source" them but (like everything) there is a min order requirement - typ. 5k-10k units min ???

Thanks again!
~Mark

I'm here (Enter a redemption code and click 'Redeem Code') what's my code :laugh:

Brian

Dude! Just figure out what dimensions you want and get cigar boxes that are close or can be modified. If you're lucky, you may even get to buy some full of cigars! ;)

Dude! Just figure out what dimensions you want and get cigar boxes that are close or can be modified. If you're lucky, you may even get to buy some full of cigars! ;)

I'm pretty damn sure they don't make 13inx12in boxes that are spanish cedar through and through...

I grab all the LFD Chisel Maduro 10 count boxes I can find. They are ~6 1/2 x 9 x 1 3/8 and hold ~10-12 of most size sticks in a single layer. Stack well since they are flat top boxes. Sounds like you could do 2 wide in the wine cooler.

Here's a sample pic (the ones on the left) ....

cool1ae4.jpg

I grab all the LFD Chisel Maduro 10 count boxes I can find. They are ~6 1/2 x 9 x 1 3/8 and hold ~10-12 of most size sticks in a single layer. Stack well since they are flat top boxes. Sounds like you could do 2 wide in the wine cooler.

Here's a sample pic (the ones on the left) ....

cool1ae4.jpg
Tech, you are a damn tease!