• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cutters/Lighters and Flying

prometheus

Read more; post less
I've searched around the forum and cannot find an answer, so...What is the latest on the rules for carrying torch lighters and cutters on aircraft? I'm flying out to SEMA this weekend and want to pack a few goodies for the trip.

Near the "security checkpoint", you will see a box filled with lighters. When you pass by the box, you're supposed to toss your lighter in there and say goodbye to it. There are signs everywhere saying no lighters allowed.

Just store it in your traveldor along with your cutter and you'll be fine.

prometheus, if you own a "prometheus" (LOL) lighter or cutter, I wouldn't even risk it. Take a firebird or buy some matches when you land. ;)

Get the TSA approved Zippo case from Otterbox, perfect for an 'upgraded' Zippo.

I was flying last week, and saw signs that said lighters were prohibited as carry on as well as in packed luggage. However I had mine in my suitcase in the top mesh part when you open it, and when I got to Belize there was one of those notes from the TSA saying they had searched my bag, however the lighter was sitting right there in plain view. So you could always just put it in your luggage somewhere inconspicuous.

*All lighters are prohibited as carry-on items. Lighters without fuel are permitted in checked baggage. Lighters with fuel are prohibited in checked baggage, unless they adhere to the DOT exemption, which allows up to two fueled lighters if properly enclosed in a DOT approved case. If you are uncertain as to whether your lighter is prohibited, please refrain from bringing it to the airport.

** Up to 4 books of safety (non-strike anywhere) matches are permitted as carry-on items, but all matches are prohibited in checked baggage.

The above was copied from the TSA list of permitted and prohibited item list. You can find a complete list HERE.

Do not put any kind of lighter or torch in your checked baggage unless you are prepared to lose it. Lighters and torches are banned from carry on and checked baggage except as outlined above.

Each airport views these regs differently so do not believe because you flew with a checked lighter before that it will be OK to do it again. Once they get your lighter you will not get it back. Another thing to note is that they view a lighter and a torch as two different items. While it says any lighter without fuel can be checked it does not say any torch lighter without fuel can be checked.

No telling if putting a torch into an approved DOT case would be OK since the regs say lighter. I'm not about to test it.

Rod said:
[snapback]241211[/snapback]​

Unfortunately, this isn't the case anymore Rod. They can go through your checked in luggage, and take out whatever they deem to be a safety hazard.

I recently had two lighters taken from me. They explained that lighters can only be transported via air, if they are empty and in air tight special containers.

These regulations are why I only use cheap BIC lighters now. I travel quite a bit for my work and have gotten used to using these. They are easily obtainable anywhere you go, cheap and you can usually pick one up before even leaving the airport.

morenoloco said:
Rod said:
[snapback]241211[/snapback]​

Unfortunately, this isn't the case anymore Rod. They can go through your checked in luggage, and take out whatever they deem to be a safety hazard.

I recently had two lighters taken from me. They explained that lighters can only be transported via air, if they are empty and in air tight special containers.
[snapback]241441[/snapback]​

??? All they made me do was to let all the Butane out of mine and then they checked it to see it was empty. That was last month flying out of Philly.