• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

cutting a cigar

mjo2783

Reaction score
I am a novice. Can you cut a cigar in half with a cigar cutter? The reason I ask is I was wondering if you can cut a long cigar in half or should you just let it burn out and relight it when you want to smoke more? How do you store a cigar that has already been lit?

Start by searching with Google. There are TONS of articles on the 'net and videos on Youtube that explain basics.

I am a novice. Can you cut a cigar in half with a cigar cutter? The reason I ask is I was wondering if you can cut a long cigar in half or should you just let it burn out and relight it when you want to smoke more? How do you store a cigar that has already been lit?

You CAN, but the wrapper will start unraveling, which will be a pain. Your best bet is to grab a cigar that's the right size for the amount of time you want to put in. As far as letting it go out to smoke later, if left for very long the cigar will turn VERY bitter, and not be at all worth smoking(in most cases).

Don't relight your cigar, it will taste nasty. And definitely don't store an unlit previously lit cigar, it will make a nasty smell in your humidor. If you don't have time to smoke an entire cigar, just let it go out and throw it away. There are a lot of cigars that are smaller and won't take you too long to smoke if you find yourself pressed for time. I witnessed a co-worker cut a cigar in half that I gave him to share with his buddy. I cried a little.

Edit to add clarification.

You CAN, but the wrapper will start unraveling, which will be a pain. Your best bet is to grab a cigar that's the right size for the amount of time you want to put in. As far as letting it go out to smoke later, if left for very long the cigar will turn VERY bitter, and not be at all worth smoking(in most cases).

thanks for the help.

Why don't you introduce yourself (open a new topic) in the new members forum so we can get to know you better! :thumbs:

I've found that if you HAVE to leave a smoke to relight later, it helps to blow the smoke out of it.

It still won't be the same and it definitely isn't recommended, but it does help a bit.

I, for one, never plan on putting something down and relighting it. Just get a smoke that is the right size, or blow off whatever is keeping you from finishing, haha

Don't relight your cigar, it will taste nasty. And definitely don't store an unlit cigar, it will make a nasty smell in your humidor. If you don't have time to smoke an entire cigar, just let it go out and throw it away. There are a lot of cigars that are smaller and won't take you too long to smoke if you find yourself pressed for time. I witnessed a co-worker cut a cigar in half that I gave him to share with his buddy. I cried a little.

....solid advice. These guys wrote my reply for me.....
thumbs-up.gif

Be sure to post an intro thread where appropriate......
cool.gif

Cheers - B.B.S.

If you don't have the time, find a short cigar with a smaller ring gage. IF you insist on only smoking half a cigar, what I have done if something comes up and I have to leave is let the cigar burn out. NEVER put it out, it will smell horrible and ruin it completely. Then knock all of the ash of and cut the end of the toasted cigar right behind where it had been burning. Make sure you have a good cutter and you cut it quick and precise so you don't damage the cigar. Ive done this before and it works alright, but usually if I know I don't have the time to smoke, I just wont smoke. Hope this helps. Best of luck!

If you cut a large cigar in half, the half with the cigars foot on it will unravel. Not a good idea.