• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Daimond Crown Maximus - Toro #4

engspot

Covered in Paint
I had high hopes for this one as it looked great at the store and broke down and spent the $13. Fuente + Newman had to be good right? The cigar had been sitting in my humidor at home for a few weeks and I decided it was time to give it a try.

This was not a good experience. I took the cigar out of the cellophane and noticed a few small chips in the wrapper in the foot and around the band, but this isn't what bothered me. The giant DC band was held to the cigar by an ounce of glue. The band came off easily enough but I wasn't looking forward to smoking all that glue.

The first few draws on the cigar were delicious and did not disappoint...but it was all downhill from there. The cigar canoed within the first inch and a half and I spent more time trying to fix it than I spent enjoying my smoke. All my efforts left a tarry bitter mess at the tip of my tongue. I purged the cigar and at the halfway mark finally had the burn issues fixed. Then the draw tightened up and I had to resort to heavy tugging to get any smoke. Again, it was a bitter mouth numbing experience. I put the cigar down before I even got to the wad of dried glue.

Is there a better vitola to try for a good Diamond Crown or are they all this hit or miss? When the burn was good and I was able to get smoke without tar, I enjoyed the flavors I was getting. Unfortunately this was only for about 1/5 of the cigar and at $13/ea I expect better than this.

Perhaps its the storage of the cigar that led to such a poor experience? And maybe not the cigar itself. The cigar cant humidify and control its own temperature after all. I highly recommend trying a second another time to give it a second chance!

I'm not sure if it's a storage issue, but this isn't a recurring issue in my humidor and I have purchased many cigars from this B&M without having this problem.

I googled reviews for the DC Toro and this seems to be a recurring theme. Tunneling and poor burn were also brought up by Mr. Peat and Kingantz when they reviewed the Julius Caesars so I just wanted to double check if some vitolas were better than others of it's a Diamond Crown issue in general.

Rather than repeat this I may just smoke something else.

I'd give it another shot. The No. 4 is my go to vitola in the Diamond Crown line up. A simply fantastic cigar IMHO.

I just smoked one of these while I was on vacation. I didn't have any of the issues you did, and in all honesty, I felt like it was a great smoke. I did get a bit of a bitter taste towards the end of the cigar but I attribute that to my wife rushing me on the last 1/3rd because we were late for a dinner reservation.

I picked up a box of #3's, I hope there is no issue with them.

I picked up a box of #3's, I hope there is no issue with them.
It's been my experience that many(not all) Fuentes smoke and keep better at a higher RH - say 68RH to 70RH. A notable exception is the Anejo, which tends to mold. But I find the Cameroons, like Hemingways and many other Fuentes, just don't store as well at 65% and lower like the Nics and CCs. Whether this is true for the Diamond Crowns I don't know.

But someone here does, you can bet.

I have only had one #4, but didn't have the problem you are talking about. I have had other vitolas also, with no issues. Maybe you just got a bad one, I would rule them out yet if I were you...

Maybe I just got a bad one. This one was in my desktop at 62% RH so maybe higher humidity will help...I don't know at this point.

I'll try a robusto next time from a different shop and see what happens.

Thanks for all your input everyone.

Sorry I know uber old thread but I simply wanted to comment I had some #4 issues like that but the #3 has been a staple for a long long time now at a price of $11 just over the border where here with the tax so high they are upwards of $19 each. Give the DC Julius Cesar Torpedo a try too if you haven't as that is a fine cigar especially if you can get the 2012 Toast Across America vitola.

engspot said:
I'm not sure if it's a storage issue, but this isn't a recurring issue in my humidor and I have purchased many cigars from this B&M without having this problem.

I googled reviews for the DC Toro and this seems to be a recurring theme. Tunneling and poor burn were also brought up by Mr. Peat and Kingantz when they reviewed the Julius Caesars so I just wanted to double check if some vitolas were better than others of it's a Diamond Crown issue in general.

Rather than repeat this I may just smoke something else.
if that is the case then better spent our hard earned money to  better cigar, after all this is the only luxury i am guilty of, so indulge. 

Wow, old post.  

I've smoked 3-4 of these since I wrote this and I think the quality is just inconsistent.  I haven't had any tunnel as bad as this one did, but the burn was all over the place.  Some were ok.

I may still have 1 or 2 in the cooler, but I'd rather smoke a Padron or Liga for the price.

I like these, but would smoked more if they were about 1/3 less in cost.  They're just overpriced and there are too many better cigars at that price.