• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Dalmore Cigar Malt.

Wurm

Bratwurst and Beer
Reaction score
Since Double D is an impatient bastige, and opened his gift as soon as I handed it to him tonight... I was able to sample this excellent scotch this evening.

It was (IMO) very complex with many different flavors, Dale said he thought it was very peaty but I have to disagree. I used one ice-cube per dram and drank more than I usually do when drinking scotch.

If I have to pick out any flavors to describe it I'd say citrus fruit and sherry. It had a very long finish and left a very pleasant after-taste to inhale my cigar into.

:thumbs: Highly recommended

I did a review of it here and there are some others comments too if you wish to read them.

Dalmore Hasn't had an official 10 yo bottling for quite some time. Was the one you had by an independent bottler or did you mean the Dalmore 12 (also reviewed here)?

(njsarge @ Dec 23 2007, 02:17 AM) *
Have you tried the Dalmore 10yr, if so how does it compare to the cigar malt?

The Dalmore 12yr will have a lighter floral flavor

The Dalmore Cigar Malt will have a sweeter sherry flavor

:sign: *** WARNING: Long winded know-it-all explanation ahead *** :sign:

This is due to how The Dalmore is"blended". (Yes I said blended, just stay with me here)

The Dalmore is a single malt scotch, the single malt is aged in either bourbon or sherry casks.

When making The Dalmore 12yr, 7 bourbon casks are combined with 3 sherry casks. The heavy bourbon cask influence imparts the greater share of floral/fruity notes

The Cigar Malt is the EXACT opposite. 7 sherry casks are combined with 3 bourbon casks, thus giving the Cigar Malt a sweeter sherry flavor. (I don't care for the cigar malt, too sweet IMHO)

I did a review of it here and there are some others comments too if you wish to read them.

Dalmore Hasn't had an official 10 yo bottling for quite some time. Was the one you had by an independent bottler or did you mean the Dalmore 12 (also reviewed here)?

(njsarge @ Dec 23 2007, 02:17 AM) *
:0 Oops, You are correct 12yr.

Log winded explanations not withstanding, I'm certain that the Dalmore 12 is a 50-50 split between sherry casks and bourbon casks. You're welcome to give me a link that indicates otherwise though. I've been wrong before .

This is due to how The Dalmore is"blended". (Yes I said blended, just stay with me here)
The Dalmore is a single malt scotch, the single malt is aged in either bourbon or sherry casks.

When making The Dalmore 12yr, 7 bourbon casks are combined with 3 sherry casks. The heavy bourbon cask influence imparts the greater share of floral/fruity notes

The Dalmore 12 http://www.thedalmoreusa.com/About/Dalmore...ion.aspx#12year

The Dalmore Cigar Malt (link broken)

We had a lasting this past Dec 5[sup]th[/sup] with Simon at my friends' cigar shop.

http://www.thedalmoreusa.com/SimonBrooking/

If you get a chance to go to one you should. It was fantastic.

Simon brings 99% of the Scotches he represents. (The Dalmore and Laphroaig)

Best part is… free samples of anything Simon brings. :cool:

This time he brought the following..

The Dalmore 12, Cigar Malt, 21, and one that is limited to 3000 bottles ($250 per bottle)

Laphroaig 10, 15, Quarter-Cask, and 30.

I find this unusual because on the UK site before they started the "Dalmore is about to change" program it said; "In this, our entry level expression (talking about the Dalmore 12) we have sought balance and richness by selecting malts in a 50:50 recipe - 50% from ex bourbon barrels and 50% from ex sherry butts." The link is broke now because of the new update but I'm sure at some point they will be back on line.

The Dalmore 12 http://www.thedalmoreusa.com/About/Dalmore...ion.aspx#12year

The Dalmore Cigar Malt (link broken)

We had a lasting this past Dec 5[sup]th[/sup] with Simon at my friends' cigar shop.

http://www.thedalmoreusa.com/SimonBrooking/

If you get a chance to go to one you should. It was fantastic.

Simon brings 99% of the Scotches he represents. (The Dalmore and Laphroaig)

Best part is… free samples of anything Simon brings. :cool:

This time he brought the following..

The Dalmore 12, Cigar Malt, 21, and one that is limited to 3000 bottles ($250 per bottle)

Laphroaig 10, 15, Quarter-Cask, and 30.