• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Damn This Site!

Q_The_Cop

Beware Clown!
I joined this site because I loved cigars. Now I've been reading the pipe forums, I had to get my pipe out of the drawer and pay a little more attention to it. I didn't know about the Frank method, but I'll tell you that was the reason I stopped smoking a pipe. I couldn't keep it lit etc. I tried my first bowl in years using his method, and I only had to put fire to it twice for the entire bowl. WONDERFUL!!! Now I have a bent Dr. Grabow I've had for about 5 years, and I've never tried some of the "real" pipe tobacco, (metal tin type). But I do have a favorite only because my grandpa smoked it, and as a child I LOVED the way it smelled. That's Half and Half. Now I buy it for $1.69 for a 1.5 oz pack. It brings back so many memories. (Since I was 5, I'm 32 now). Are there any other brands (the tin type or blends that bring back memories for you guys or ones you think I should try? I don't have a B&M in my area to ask so I'm leaving it in your hands. I like medium full bodied smoke, I don't like a lot of aromatics. (Unless my girlfriends around, she likes those) All I can readily get my hands on here, are the staples: Prince Albert, Carter Hill Half and Half. Any suggestions would be great. I know you guys won't let me down.

Check out THIS LINK as it has some great suggestions. Also THIS LINK has a lot of great opinions on a lot of pipe tobaccos. Many knowledgable people here that are more than willing to share their knowledge on pipes to newbs like you and me. Enjoy.

I joined this site because I loved cigars. Now I've been reading the pipe forums, I had to get my pipe out of the drawer and pay a little more attention to it. I didn't know about the Frank method, but I'll tell you that was the reason I stopped smoking a pipe. I couldn't keep it lit etc. I tried my first bowl in years using his method, and I only had to put fire to it twice for the entire bowl. WONDERFUL!!! Now I have a bent Dr. Grabow I've had for about 5 years, and I've never tried some of the "real" pipe tobacco, (metal tin type). But I do have a favorite only because my grandpa smoked it, and as a child I LOVED the way it smelled. That's Half and Half. Now I buy it for $1.69 for a 1.5 oz pack. It brings back so many memories. (Since I was 5, I'm 32 now). Are there any other brands (the tin type or blends that bring back memories for you guys or ones you think I should try? I don't have a B&M in my area to ask so I'm leaving it in your hands. I like medium full bodied smoke, I don't like a lot of aromatics. (Unless my girlfriends around, she likes those) All I can readily get my hands on here, are the staples: Prince Albert, Carter Hill Half and Half. Any suggestions would be great. I know you guys won't let me down.

Just an FYI - Boswell Pipes will mail order you any of their tobaccos, they have a varied selection of custom blends. They actually have more blends than shown on their website, plus you can buy pure Perique, or Latakia, if you'd like to try them or blend something of your own.

My current favorites from Boswell's are the Mild English, the Christmas Cookie and the Sweet Tea. However, just like cigars one man's favorite isn't necessarily another man's favorite. At $1.95 an ounce, it isn't too expensive to try 10 or 20 ounces till you find something that you enjoy.

I just wish I would have known what my grandfather smoked.
Thats why I LOVE Half and Half. Everywhere I read knocks it as crap, but it brings back so many memories. (He lived in Ga. I would come visit when I was 5 or 6. He would light a bowl up so I could sit on his lap. It was the most wonderful smell.) He died when I was 20 so I remember the label. Have a pouch sitting in front of me.... about to smoke a bowl in memorium.

I had read some suggestion of mixing Prince Albert with Carter Hall and I just tried it today. It was GREAT! Very nice with not the nicotine punch of PA, but enough to let you know you are smoking, and great taste from the Carter Hall. I must say I wish I had mixed the two earlier. It smokes well and burns great. I would recommend this to all new smokers.

Andy

Edit to add it was Burro with the suggestion. Thanks again!!!

I had read some suggestion of mixing Prince Albert with Carter Hall and I just tried it today. It was GREAT! Very nice with not the nicotine punch of PA, but enough to let you know you are smoking, and great taste from the Carter Hall. I must say I wish I had mixed the two earlier. It smokes well and burns great. I would recommend this to all new smokers.

Andy

Edit to add it was Burro with the suggestion. Thanks again!!!

I just tried that and your right its not bad at all.