• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Davidoff No. 1

seadub

advertise here
A very good friend gifted me a special smoke last year. An 80s (not sure the exact year) Davidoff No. 1. Gorgeous stick with a nice smooth, dark colorado colored wrapper and a pigtail cap. The stick just sat in my humidor for months and months while I was on a 6 month smoking hiatus. Of course I was looking forward to enjoying this sucker when I finally got back to the occasional cigar.

Davidoff No. 1 stats

Origin: Cuba Manufactured: Hand Made
Gauge: Thin
Length: 192
Format: Laguito No. 1
Ring: 38

The only picture I have is pretty poor. The shot is side-lit so it accentuates every problem with the wrapper and makes those little bumps and bruises look much worse then they were. So here's the pic.

gallery_2280_527_7060.jpg

Essentially this smoke is a Lancero. Technically it's a Laguito No. 1. Regardless of what it truly is...it's my all-time favorite vitola. The lancero, IMHO, is the most elegant of all cigars shapes and the feel of the Davidoff was perfect. I have to say that the hype I had in my mind certainly heightened the experience I had with this cigar.

The nose was so subtle of sweet tobacco. I must have grabbed it out of the humidor a dozen times and fondled it just looking forward to the day when I would torch it. So the day finally came a week ago in the company of a few of my favorite BOTLs. One guy little up a Shark and the other showed up a little late so joined us for the second sticks of the night (Cohiba Piramides EL). My drink of choice for the night was my usual Diet Coke. So with a full glass in front of me, the torch hit the foot of the stick.

The construction of the cigar was perfect the burn was razor-sharp all the way down to the end. There was never an issue with draw or the stick becoming too hot. Just even volume of smoke and perfect burn... exactly what I expected. The taste was another story. There's something about the taste of older smokes. There was that interesting sort of musty taste. It's not at all unpleasant... just musty like it's old tobacco. I've had that musty taste in some other aged smokes before so it seemed reasonable for me to assume this was the true thing... an aged cigar. Some of the other aged cigars I've had have given other tastes and flavors that I could pinpoint, but my experience with this stick was a little different. The most dominant note was a sweet hardwood, like oak, which was consistent and ever-present through the entire stick. In a way I would call the experience "one dimensional." There were hints of other tastes, like sweet, but I couldn't figure out what the flavor was... it was simply too subtle for me to figure out and lost on my damaged palate. One other taste that occurred was cheese. Then I realized it was only the double-doubles that I had eaten before lighting up.

To summarize: The experience was good. The flavor was consistent and interesting. The body was light and the flavor was light to medium and the strength was, well, pretty weak. Smoke volume was good and burn was excellent. It was a fantastic gift to smoke a cigar with such a history. Thanks to the BOTL who gifted this one to me... you know who you are and I'd suggest sleeping with one eye open ;)

Nice review Chris! Just goes to show nothing can be finer than a smoke with friends! :thumbs:

Very nice Chris.

There are not many sticks that age well past say 12 years but Davidoff is definitely one of them. I haven't had the pleasure of smoking the No1 but I have smoked
several petite corona's from the 70's and they were wonderful.

Brian

Nice review, Chris. Another friend recently smoke one of these and he had the same review as you. Excellent, subtle, perfect construction, some mustiness, but a little one dimensional.

Cheese in a cigar? That's what you get for bogarting Rod's double-double..nOOb. :sign:

Very nice Chris. I have some of these, but I can't bring myself to set fire to them just yet. You gave me some of the prodding I might just need.

Very nice Chris. I have some of these, but I can't bring myself to set fire to them just yet. You gave me some of the prodding I might just need.

Sorry, John. They're waaaaaay past their peak so just send some of yours to me and I'll get rid of 'em for you. ;)

Seriously... you need to light up right now. Don't wait.