• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

De-humidifying Anejo's

burn-slow

Going through my humidor the other day to inspect some smokes and found some mold on a box of 77's from o6 with ten left in it. I know of the current mold issues with this latest shipment so no need to get into that discussion, but I was wondering if I'm on the right track by spreading a couple ounces of dry viper beads 65% in the box and sealing it up to try and soak up some of that exccess moisture. The sticks are still celloed so the beads are not in direct contact. Had them stored in this manner for about three days I'll post a pick tonight.

pull the box out and leave it outta the coolidor for a day or two unopened, that should keep the dehumidifying to a slow process.

I believe that wanlail might be right..... take them out of the humi and leave them out for a day... If there is not too much mold you can wipe them off..... I wouldn't want anything with mold in my humi.... mold spores spread like herpes

Going through my humidor the other day to inspect some smokes and found some mold on a box of 77's from o6 with ten left in it. I know of the current mold issues with this latest shipment so no need to get into that discussion, but I was wondering if I'm on the right track by spreading a couple ounces of dry viper beads 65% in the box and sealing it up to try and soak up some of that exccess moisture. The sticks are still celloed so the beads are not in direct contact. Had them stored in this manner for about three days I'll post a pick tonight.

The mold is a result of handling prior to getting to your house. I doubt if conditions in your humi incubated it. However, I would take them down to 60% and make sure they stay at 70 degrees or less. If all else fails, burn the mold.

Worst case scenario, you could stick them in the freezer, that will suck the moisture right out! :)

Good luck, sorry to hear of your issues...

I feel your pain.......just found small specks of mold on 2 of my 6 cameroon sharks. It wasn't bad but it still breaks your heart to see it.......just a little.....

pull the box out and leave it outta the coolidor for a day or two unopened, that should keep the dehumidifying to a slow process.

The mold is a result of handling prior to getting to your house. I doubt if conditions in your humi incubated it. However, I would take them down to 60% and make sure they stay at 70 degrees or less. If all else fails, burn the mold.

Combine these two for the right answer.... :thumbs: In the box but out of the humi for a day or two, then watch them closely once back in the humi / cooler and don't let the RH get more than 60% or so. FWIW....I run my "smoking" humi, my desktop, around 60% as that's where they smoke best to me. YMMV......

Good Luck - B.B.S.

Thanks guys got em back in the humi right now and stable at 64% humidity and all seems well as of yet but I'll keep my eye on them.

Combine these two for the right answer.... :thumbs: In the box but out of the humi for a day or two, then watch them closely once back in the humi / cooler and don't let the RH get more than 60% or so. FWIW....I run my "smoking" humi, my desktop, around 60% as that's where they smoke best to me. YMMV......

Good Luck - B.B.S.

Ditto on the above. Good luck and sorry to hear about the possible loss. :blush:

I think I read on here somewhere that wiping the molded areas with white vinegar (acetic acid) kills the mold without adversly afecting the cigar. Anyone tried this?

I find that my Añejos smoke best when stored at 60%. The longer the better.

Well it's been a week back in the humi and my latest inspection has revealed no evidence of mold.