• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Dead Zeppelin

AVB

Jesus of Cool, I'm bad, I'm nationwide
On May 6, 1937, the hydrogen-filled German dirigible Hindenburg burned and crashed in Lakehurst, N.J., killing 36 of the 97 people on board.

At 7:25 p.m. local time, the Hindenburg caught fire and quickly became engulfed in flames. It did not, contrary to popular belief, explode. The fire started around cell 4, and quickly spread forward. The ship's back broke, though the ship still remained as one piece and the nose was facing upwards. As the Hindenburg's tail crashed into the ground, a burst of flame came out of the nose, killing all of the six crew members in the bow. As the ship kept falling with the bow facing upwards because there was more gas in the nose, part of the port side in front of the front engine and behind the passenger deck crushed in, and a third fire started, erasing the scarlet lettering "Hindenburg" while the ship's bow lowered. The ship's gondola wheel touched the ground, causing the ship to bounce up once more. At this point, all of the fabric had burned away. At last, the ship went crashing on the ground, bow first.

The incident is widely remembered as one of the most dramatic accidents of modern time. The cause of the accident has never been determined, although many theories, some highly controversial, have been proposed.

This is good, something I don't remember hapenning. However, my parents do. They told me how they drove by the sight after it happened and how shocked everyone was. It was the death of Hydrogen lighter than air travel. Needless to say, the Nazis, our soon to be friends across the pond, we sorely pissed off at their flag ship going down. I tried to find the field a couple of years back and had no luck. They tell me they have a plack there or something to commemorate it. A sad day. :(