• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Deceptive advertising in our world

dixieland_conjunction

If it isn't dixieland, it isn't REAL jazz
I have something that’s bothering me about some of the Cigar retailers.

For those of you that don’t know, I earned a degree in marketing (and economics) and have a job in marketing. Actually, everyone has a job in marketing, but that’s a different rant I won’t bore you with ever. I’m “officially” in marketing because I have a windowed office in the marketing department. :thumbs:

There are several rules and regulations regarding advertising. Some rules are stricter than others, but there are very serious infractions regarding deceptive advertising. This is different from “false advertising,” because no facts are in question. One simply isn’t allowed to say a product is “biggest” or “fastest” or any other quantifiable superlative if it isn’t true. However, it is acceptable to say, “best” or “favorite” because that can neither be proven nor disproved.

There are certain unethical violations of the “code” of advertising. For instance (though this one I disagree with), one cannot advertise “$0.50 each or 3 for $2.00.” People automatically assume that a bulk purchase will render a discount. And, quite frankly, Americans are not skilled in math. Another thin-line topic is the labeling in extremely small print “inspired by” on packages. This is often found in gas station’s perfume selections “inspired by Tommy Girl.”

Anyway there is also a rule concerning deceptive associations. Meaning, it is not legal for a Swatch ad to show a picture of Rolexes and Movados piled around the Swatch. To better illustrate, it would seem inappropriate and an obvious stretch to advertise “..and from the makers of the world-class Corvette comes the newly redesigned Geo Metro!!!!” While, yes, this is true, there is a deceptive and obviously intended correlation between the styling, performance, quality, and prestige of the Corvette and the Metro. This is not legal.

Therefore, I find it irritating and irresponsible that a lot of the mail order catalogs and such will advertise, “from the same factory,” or “from the same master blender” as “Davidoff” or “the 96-rated CAO….” comes La Caca de Nicaragua!!!” So, while it might be true that they’re at best sweeping the floor to come up with the shaving of La Perla’s, etc., to put into the doggie brand being advertised, it doesn’t make it legal.

I’m done.

Cheers,
Dixie

You do make a good point! Now breath, in............... out.................. in........... :p

That's a good point! But, If it wasn't for the misleading advertisements, my humidors would be empty :p

In all seriousness, you're right. I've bought cheap smokes that had relatively no advertising which were better tasting than some of the ones that stated they were "from the famous factory in Nicaragua." Paying slightly more money for a bad cigar, which they advertise as being from the "master blender" pisses me off. If I'm going to buy a dog rocket, I'd rather buy it for less and not feel like a sucker ???

On a slightly different bent, something almost like this really burned me. I'm currently on the hunt for a house (well...house, condo, townhouse, whatever...something other than an apt)...in searching through the realty websites, I found several listings for a new construction right in the area I was looking, and almost right at the price point I wanted. I moseyed on down to the realtor to get some info.......

Only to find out that all the houses in that development were sold over three MONTHS ago....but they had the exact same thing in a different town....of course for about $50k more!!!! Heck, when I do searches on the realtors own website, they STILL have listings for this place, even though every single one has been sold for months. Really burned me up, and felt like a 'bait and switch'.....

Hey Dixie. You know I am only about 30 minutes away from you. If you want, I can bring you a Valium. Would you like a yellow one or a blue one? <if you know the difference, shame on you. :D :sign: >

Blue

dixieland_conjunction said:
comes La Caca de Nicaragua!!!
The Poop of Nicaragua?

LMAO!

Surely someone else caught that as well? :p

Very nice read. I can definatly see where you are coming from on that one. I did like the La Caca de Nicaragua. I had to laugh at that one.

I realize I'm putting myself at serious risk for a fourth strike :p but I have to agree with you bigtime here Dixie. When I first started my habit I was sucked in by some of these ads in my quest for good but inexpensive smokes. Fortunately I found the friendly environs here at CP and am no longer led astray.

SD_Stack said:
La Caca means Poop?
Yup. I was wondering why no one seemed to get it.

"Today's show was brought to you by the letters S and M and the word caca..."

Man I miss Mr. Hooper! I know I'm showing my age...or lack thereof. :D

:sign: :sign:

Straight from CBid - maybe some of these folks are fessing up....

"La Aurora is the oldest factory in the Dominican Republic - since 1903 - the Principes is made from the trimmings of the regular La Aurora production. The result is a short-filler cigar made with high-quality tobaccos, a flavorful medium-bodied taste and smooth draw."

Yeah for them!!!! :thumbs:

Im loving this,
Like the time one of PT Barnum's elephants got loose and killed someone. After the payoff he couldnt even pay the circus people. He talked them into staying. The next town they came to he posted signs saying "come see the killer elephants". Made a fortune. :0

And by the way stack Ill take a blue one! :p