• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Defective Boveda?

CigarAlbert

I just recently bought a new 50 count humidor...it seems to seal well. I purchased a Boveda seaoning pack online and put it in the humidor....the humidity never got above 70%. Did I get a defect or is it possible that the humidor was so dry that I need more than one pack?

The seasoning pack's job is to get some moisture into the wood so a constant 70% humidity is attainable. Until the wood is properly seasoned you probably won't consistently see 70%.

How long was the seasoning pack in? Do you have a regular humidifier or beads??

The number of Boveda Seasoning packs needed depends on the size of the humidor. A 50 count humidor will need 2 or 3 packs to do a good job of seasoning.

Look Here

Try wiping the humidor down a few times to help jump start the seasoning process.

Try wiping the humidor down a few times to help jump start the seasoning process.

Make sure if you are wiping it down that you are using distilled water, and you barely have your rag/sponge just damp enough to barely dampen the wood. To much water wiped on the wood will cause it to warp or possibly mold.

Make sure if you are wiping it down that you are using distilled water, and you barely have your rag/sponge just damp enough to barely dampen the wood. To much water wiped on the wood will cause it to warp or possibly mold.

I always drench mine. I don't have the patience to wait ~14 days. I haven't had any issues with mold or warping either. Don't hold me accountable for anything that happens though. ;)

I always use the Boveda seasoning packs...it takes awhile, but when it comes to my cigars, its worth doing safely and correctly. Just be sure you use the right number of seasoning packs which depends on the size of you humidor which viper pointed out earlier. That is key...

I learned a little trick perusing sites and it's worked for 7 desktops from 50-ct to 200-ct. (gave away 3 so far).

Get a shallow dish, add distilled water, microwave for 40-60 seconds. Place in humidor on bottom and leave shut for a day, repeat if needed on 2nd day.

On 2nd day, check hygrometer, should be right near 70'ish. Add cigars, beads, and let it equalize.

My guess is the heated water gets into the wood faster by opening its pores. Humidors didn't crack, warp, or split any wood so it's a process I'm willing to share because I had no problems. I wouldn't want to tell you something that may damage your new accessory or valuable smokes.

the other idea I have heard is leave in the shower, open and let the steam start it up, Also check you humidor with a light inside, I had gotten a humidor at yard sale that looked good but was not sealed well.

khari is right that if it is new it will take awhile for it to actually reach 70%

the other idea I have heard is leave in the shower, open and let the steam start it up, Also check you humidor with a light inside, I had gotten a humidor at yard sale that looked good but was not sealed well.

khari is right that if it is new it will take awhile for it to actually reach 70%

Wait... you seasoned your humidor in the shower?

Wait... you seasoned your humidor in the shower?
I haven't tried the shower, but I took mine to a local bath house and let it steam with me. I was arrested and did not retrieve the humidor until after my trial. Needless to say, I like keep my Padron moist.

Humidor in the shower?? ??? But I pee in there!! :laugh:

A+ for originality.

I also use Boveda seasoning packets, as well as their humidity control packets to maintain the levels in both my desktop humidors.

The other comments are right on in terms of allowing plenty of time to sit, and ensuring that sufficient packets are in the box. Have you also considered that your hygrometer might be off? When i bought my diamond crown humidor a few months back, the stock digital humidor was -8% off (it said it was 62% when it was really 70%). I bought one of those adjustable hygrometers and a boveda calibration kit and have been in excellent shape since.

Best of Luck

Boveda seasoning packets are 84rh and need to stay in the humidor unmolested for ten days. After that.... toss them in the trash and toss in the 72rh, 69rh or whichever other works for your cigars. If you have a leaky humidor you have to up the rh. 72rh packet will actually be a 68-69 in a leaky humi. Hope this helps.