• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Dental Implant & CIgars

PSU OpusX

I had to get a dental implant earlier this week and I've never told my dentist that I like to smoke cigars. Any recommendations as to when I can pick up a cigar again? This is a little different than having a root canal as a titanium rod stuck up through the gum and into the jaw bone. I like to hear from others who've had this procedure done and how long after did they light one up. TIA.

I had over 100 stitches in my mouth and was able to enjoy cigars 2 to 4 months after the fact. Like I said on the other forum you should consult the Dentist or whatever title they hold first. I'm guessing a couple of weeks and you will be good to go. The biggest concern is Dry Socket and pressure caused by sucking. Whether it be a straw or cigar. I won't touch the other option of sucking. :laugh:

I think it's going to largely depend upon the practitioner and how they perform what type of procedure. My dentist did the lower all-on-four and installed a full apparatus the same day. I had six upper implants done at the same time, secured with a handful of sutures under a temporary plate. Due to the light and porous nature of the bone in the upper, dentists will usually do the implant, put in a healing cap, and suture over, having you come back a few months later to "uncover" and install larger healing caps, but I've heard some dentists don't suture or go straight to the larger caps (seems like bad news, if you ask me, as even micromovements can extend your healing time. It takes 3-9 months for proper osteointegration, but if you're sutured closed, I don't see there is any problem.

I didn't smoke a cigar for two weeks, but I had a pipe the next day. If you're concerned about it, you might ask your provider for a script of Peridex (chlorhexidine). They shouldn't have any problem handing it to you (they may without you even asking), and if you wait an hour or so after smoking to use it, it really doesn't taste bad (just don't rinse or eat for a half hour after using it...it tastes great until you try to rinse it).

Nictotine inhibits healing. I'd wait til your were all healed up, at least.

Doc.

Nictotine inhibits healing. I'd wait til your were all healed up, at least.

Doc.

Doc says is exactly what my oral surgeon told me. Nothing like throwing over $1,000 in dental work in the mouth only to have the healing inhibited by nicotine...

Given that everyone mends at a different rate, I'd at least wait until the after surgery follow up and your oral surgeon's had a chance to check the progress of healing.

<snip>

I didn't smoke a cigar for two weeks, but I had a pipe the next day. If you're concerned about it, you might ask your provider for a script of Peridex (chlorhexidine). They shouldn't have any problem handing it to you (they may without you even asking), and if you wait an hour or so after smoking to use it, it really doesn't taste bad (just don't rinse or eat for a half hour after using it...it tastes great until you try to rinse it).

You should probably be using Peridex (chlorhexidine) no matter what. That will aid healing as well. I used it just before I went to bed - and it definitely sped the healing! :thumbs:

I went to the dentist today for my follow up. It looks like everything is healing fine. My dentist chuckled when I asked the question because he smokes a cigar from time to time. Not into the hobby like we are. Anyway, he advises his patients to wait at least 5 weeks. I explained to him that I'll be in the D.R. in two weeks for a cigar event. That will be 3.5 weeks after the implant. He said to take it easy and make sure to brush and rinse through out the day. I'll have a few cigars over a 3 day period and then hang it up for another 3 weeks afterward. Thanks for the responses! :)