• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Devil's Weed @ CI

vinnyvega

These are a pretty nice mellow smoke. Boxes are $40 and under. Just a heads up!!

Joe

There was a discussion a few weeks ago on dog watch radio regarding this. Both Bob and Dale were of the opinion that what CI posted as the description of the smokes was a pretty slimey thing to do. I agree with them, and doubt I'll be buying anymore smokes from CI. What CI wrote may in fact be completely true, but just strikes me as a childish thing to do. There are two many other awesome vendors out there (here), and I'd rather support them than CI.

There was a discussion a few weeks ago on dog watch radio regarding this. Both Bob and Dale were of the opinion that what CI posted as the description of the smokes was a pretty slimey thing to do. I agree with them, and doubt I'll be buying anymore smokes from CI. What CI wrote may in fact be completely true, but just strikes me as a childish thing to do. There are two many other awesome vendors out there (here), and I'd rather support them than CI.
I completely agree. The whole "our checkbooks ablaze bailed this failing company out" kinda pissed me off. But then again, I don't think about that when I'm smoking a $1.50 cigar I paid $4 for less than a year prior. But, to each their own... Damn you, economy, fuggin with my morals!!!!!!!!! :angry:

Derek

*edit to add: #666...go figure

Wow! That's pretty classless. I didn't bother reading it last night. Sounds like the same slap in the face Padilla got when Pepin stopped blending for them. Doesn't surprise me though.

From CI about Devilsweed:

"Same old story....fight for love and glory....it’s a case of do or die....."

As I approach 2 decades in the "bidness" I’ve seen some version of this same saga unfold about a thousand times:

- Dude thinks cigar industry looks like a piece of cake. 
- Dude drops life savings into startup company. 
- Dude magnanimously claims he supports brick and mortar stores only, refusing to sell to "scumbag catalog discount house."
- Financial suffering for Dude begins.
- Hat in hand, Dude seeks warm embrace of CI and accompanying bailout plan.
- CI rides in on white horse with checkbook and pen ablaze, staving off personal financial armageddon for Dude at 11th hour.
- Discounting commences, and common man can enjoy a nice product for dirt cheap. 
- Retail stores who only nominally supported Dude’s brand get panties in knot and yell at Dude for "selling out."
- Repeat as needed."

That's a Horse shit arrogant attitude. ...and just plain poor business practice.

CI just lost me. :angry:

That is a very smug attitude on CI's part. But it is a good deal.

I've never had one of these before. Which are the best? I have a Visa gift card burning a whole in my wallet.

WOW! I didn't even see this part until just now.

From CI:
With deeply discounted (read: realistic) pricing, Devil’s Weed is now a steal. As low as $29.99 per box? Nutty.

That's harsh.

I've yet to try Devil's Weed, but after reading that... wow...

CI, you've just joined Holt's (the Padilla flap) and Famous (giving me the run-around on shipping to an APO) on my list of vendors I won't do business with anymore. It's a shame too, considering how much of my humidor stock has come from CB. Oh well, as I said before, this is a gentlemanly hobby. If vendors don't conduct themselves as such, I'll buy from vendors who do.

Why do these big-catalog retailers feel the need to write these cutesy-poo blurbs?

I think a lot of them are following the footsteps of Lew Rothman in his ad copy for the JR catalog. His way is less abrasive and I don't think he's really made an attempt to sling the mud like CI & Holts have. 

I think a lot of them are following the footsteps of Lew Rothman in his ad copy for the JR catalog. His way is less abrasive and I don't think he's really made an attempt to sling the mud like CI & Holts have. 
BINGO!

Rothman did it with clever, funny stories filled with wit and was sometimes self deprecating...which I always found very entertaining. All these Internet/Super Stores are copying him and he just went for the deal without having to brag about it like this current crop of classless, supposedly edgy, wind bags.

HERE is a great article about him...a bit of a time capsule if you may...about how he conducted business back 12 years ago and still does today.

Sounds pretty familiar as this has been done in most industries since the beginning of time! ;)

I often wince a little reading some of the ad copy from vendors. Less so with Rothman, who often elicits a genuine chuckle.
For some reason, they feel that acting like buffoons sells cigars. You might consider that if they think this "hook" appeals to you, and get's you to buy from them, just what is it that they truly think of us, the consumer?

I often wince a little reading some of the ad copy from vendors. Less so with Rothman, who often elicits a genuine chuckle.
For some reason, they feel that acting like buffoons sells cigars. You might consider that if they think this "hook" appeals to you, and get's you to buy from them, just what is it that they truly think of us, the consumer?

That was a very good article about Rothman. I really enjoyed it.

Well, read and learn. Never heard of Rothman, didn't know he was Mr. JR. The article, illuminating. You can't blame him for having deep pockets and looking for those that are between a rock and a hard place.

Very good article about Lew and his JR company. Not sure why CI and Holt's will choose to have that kind of smackdown writing when describing a closeout cigar, maybe they are hiring the same 18 yr. olds that run the stores.

As for Devil's Weed, I bought a box when they first came out, liked the flavor profile enough (though many had a too firm of a draw). I just couldn't justify the $100 price tag on what I'd want to have as my go to smoke.

When I saw CI had them at closeout pricing, I almost clicked the button. Then I even saw my beloved Cugine cigar on closeout. I used to buy them at $100/box too. I felt sick.

Now that I've gotten ahold of my "see what happens when you rush out and buy the newest cigar to hit the block irregardless of price" mindset, I will just smoke the rest of my stock and know when I need more, I know where to get it from. And if they're gone, oh well.

I completely agree that CI threw this company under the bus and it was very very uncalled for. Luis Molina, creator of Devil's Weed, is a member of another cigar board and is a true gentleman. Classless act by CI.