• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Diablo Picante

micker

Yesterday afternoon I decided to get away from things for awhile and get lost in the humidor at my favorite local cigar shop (Trader Tom's in Northville, MI)...... After wandering the humi for the better part of an hour, I emerged with two good looking keepers.... A diablo picante and a CAO MX2....

I decided to sit down in their lounge and enjoy the Diablo over a cup of coffee..... The Picante is a smaller cigar, it might be a petit corona or just slightly larger, but for sure, it is a smaller cigar. It is has a dark black maduro wrapper, and all the marketing I've seen seems to allude to its spicyness (hey, there's some kind of chili on the label after all ;) )

It did have some peppery notes, but not the overwhelming wallop of spice i secretly hoped it would have..... All in all, It was very enjoyable until about 2/3rds of the way down, it started to char on one side and began an uneven draw that was quite bitter until I let it go out and did some light surgery on it. After relighting it was much better and I smoked it until my fingertips were well covered in ash....

If not for the uneven burn and char issue I would have rated it at a 90 or so (if I was one of those lucky bastards that gets to rate cigars for a living) but with the problems it had I suppose it would be an 88. Atleast on the one impression I had of it.

On the otherhand, it was quite a slow burner. I dont remember the last time it took me an hour to smoke a petit corona.....

Final verdict - At $4.75 a stick (ugly michigan prices CA list it at $2.80 (if only I could get my cigars at their prices)) I will buy this cigar again, and probably try the other sizes as well.....

After my first try, I stay away from diablo. Just too darn spicy!

Not spicier IMHO, just a different kind of spicy...one that doesn't belong in a cigar. I dunno, I have a lot of repeat business on these at the store, but to me they tasted bitter. Just my opinion anyway.

The mx2 mm good. The diablo I have only had 1 and thats all I care to have but if we all liked the same stuff it would be a boreing world. By the way where in Mi. are you located? I live close to Cook Nuclear power plant.

Mephiston said:
The mx2 mm good. The diablo I have only had 1 and thats all I care to have but if we all liked the same stuff it would be a boreing world. By the way where in Mi. are you located? I live close to Cook Nuclear power plant.

I'm in Northville, 15 minutes due west of Detroit

Havent had the mx2 yet.. came down with a nasty cold last saturday and I still feel crumby... As soon as I'm feeling better I plan to take it to shanahans in Livonia and enjoy it with a draft boddingtons....

First off, thank you mrjinglesusa for the smoke! :thumbs:

I didn't get the overly spiciness that everyone else was complaining about with this smoke. In fact, I was still wondering why they chose to call this little cigar Picante after I finished it. Now, I didn't allow reviews to taint my taste either, I smoked it before reading any other reviews.

What a nice little package. Dark maduro wrapper, firm and a nice smell. From the beginning I thought I might enjoy this smoke. Good taste on the pre-light draw with some spice and coffee notes. The burn on this was fabulous! I love the way it looks when a wrapper burns evenly and just tucking under the ash as it burns. Plenty of smoke with a great aroma. The taste was all maduro with some spice on the finish. I was quite surprised at how long this little smoke lasted, at least an hour. Very pleasurable will definately smoke more of these.

:cool:

I love these little guys. Got a great deal on a box and smoke them pretty regularly. Definitely not everyone's cup o' tea but I really enjoy them. :thumbs: NorCal - my pleasure, I always like it when I am able to give a fellow BOTL something new to try.

I actually enjoyed the 3 picantes I have tried. Nice little smoke.. way different from an opus type of spice..

Eshaw99 said:
just a different kind of spicy...one that doesn't belong in a cigar.
[snapback]149157[/snapback]​

I agree just smoked one tonight and glad I didn't buy more than a fiver. I will try it again just to make sure and actually I was enjoying it about half way through for about an inch but then it turned bitter but I thought the construction was pretty good ash held on for about an inch at a time and burned very even little tight on the draw but not too bad anyway like I said I will try it again I believe in second chances.

NorCalCigarLover said:
I didn't get the overly spiciness that everyone else was complaining about with this smoke. In fact, I was still wondering why they chose to call this little cigar Picante after I finished it.
[snapback]179147[/snapback]​

I'm right there with you. Our shop had a event when General Cigar released it, complete with spicy food and drinks. Everyone was making this big deal about the "spiciness" of the cigar. I was pleasantly disappointed when the spiciness was not there. It's not a bad cigar, certainly nothing of the Opus X or DCM caliber, but a nice $5.00 smoke. I've gifted a lot of them (with the exception of about 3 or 4 I've smoked) out of a box I won. But then I did a trade for a 5er so I'd have some left for later (I'm thinking age will probably improve these significanty, at least I hope...)

naiou175 said:
Eshaw99 said:
just a different kind of spicy...one that doesn't belong in a cigar. 
[snapback]149157[/snapback]​

I agree just smoked one tonight and glad I didn't buy more than a fiver. I will try it again just to make sure and actually I was enjoying it about half way through for about an inch but then it turned bitter but I thought the construction was pretty good ash held on for about an inch at a time and burned very even little tight on the draw but not too bad anyway like I said I will try it again I believe in second chances.
[snapback]179290[/snapback]​

If you still don't like it after the 2nd one, I'll trade you for the rest of them.

Thanks for the review...I've never had one, but will try to have at least one before I pass judgement.

[/quote]

If you still don't like it after the 2nd one, I'll trade you for the rest of them.
[snapback]179322[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Shameless Diablo whore! :D

I picked up a 5 pack of them on a special sale at a shop near me and smoke 1 on the way home. It wasn't bad just not worth the price I paid. If they come down in price I'd pickup more to smoke otherwise I'll stick to small consuegra's from Mike's cigars in FL :(

I have not had them either. I have heard they are spicy, strong and hot. I guess that the general consensus is that no one agrees. :)

I will try one to taste for myself.

I picked up one of the Torps on a whim and was extremely disappointed. Just didn't have any of the bang they billed it to have. From all the comments it sounds like the smaller ones are better.

Maybe I'll pick up one of the smaller sizes and try them again.

I have not had them either. I have heard they are spicy, strong and hot. I guess that the general consensus is that no one agrees. :)

I will try one to taste for myself.

I think this is like anything else that has to do with personal taste. Like when you go to a Mexican restaurant and they ask if you want it hot, medium or mild. I usually get hot which is actually mild but I know better than to order something "hot" at a Thai restaurant :0

:cool: