• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Diet ...Dr Pepper....

edng

Its hard enough getting Dr Pepper soda here ... imagine my surprise last Friday when I spotted a whole pallet of Diet Dr Pepper for sale during this festive season for a mere $5 a dozen.... made in the USA too....wow.

Plonked down my $ and gleefully carted it home ..... feeling was similar to finding a stash of forgotten Behikes.

Like rare beer, I gently lay each can down in the fridge for 3 days to settle down.

Monday, I pulled one out and poured out half a glass (better not waste the good stuff) .

Sitting my wide-eyed 7 year old daughter on my lap in front of the glass containing this dark nectar with little sparkling popping bubbles, I explained:

"See darling, what you see in this glass is part of the American Dream..... together with McDonalds, Disneyland, apple pie and baseball"

"Daddy, what's the taste like?"

"Darling, it tastes like freedom.... sweet and spicy"

"That sounds yummy! I want it NOW !" she pleaded with me.

I help her lift the glass to her lips as she took a full gulp of the great American communion.

Getting off my lap, she jumps, skips and waves her hands in jubilation ....... wow, she'll love America...

She sprints off into my bedroom obviously looking for Mummy.

"What did you just feed our daughter?" as she carried out a sobbing little bundle clamped onto her chest, arms wrapped around her neck.

I showed her the Diet Dr Pepper .... she took a sip of it.

"How could you ??!!?? This tastes like ...like... carbonated dishwater!"

I had not until that point in time tasted a Diet Dr Pepper yet.... I thought it'd taste just like the real thing I'd drank from bottles years ago when I went to college in the Midwest.. ... I took a swig off the can and .... it was nowhere near a regular Dr Pepper......

If regular Dr Pepper was a taste of American heaven, Diet Dr Pepper tasted like the purgatory that is Calcutta sewage.

"Daddy! You're naughty!!! I dont want to go to Disneyland anymore !"

I was told to either drink the entire carton myself or give it to an unpleasant neighbor upstairs.

I laid out a saucer of it for the neighborhood cats who were used to their regular watering hole..... they left it untouched.

I left the other 11 unopened cans at the common mailbox area of our condo, free for anyone who wanted a can of soda.

......And I'm still left wondering where it all went wrong....

:laugh: :laugh: FLOL, nice review!

I actually like the stuff, but YMMV!

Funniest read in a while :laugh: . Interesting perspective from someone so far away....

I drink it all the time.

Even my wife thinks it goes great when I let her taste whatever cigar I'm smoking and then take a swig of diet soda.

Having said that. NO it is not the same as regular DR. Pepper. Especially the old recipe made with pure cane sugar.

Especially the old recipe made with pure cane sugar.

Some years ago I visited the Dr. Pepper Museum in Waco, Texas (it was a bonus location on a motorcycle scavenger hunt) and had a bottle of the original recipe there. Wow - completely different drink and very, very tasty.

Sadly, I am reduced to the diet type now myself :(

10 years ago I waded through a whole bunch of sodas, trying to find one that was both palatable, not too high in calories AND most importantly, available when I wanted one. I should say I have kids, so "available" means that the kids won't drink it or at least not until it's the last soda left in the fridge.

Needless to say, I developed a taste for Diet Dr. Pepper! Mostly because nobody else in the family would drink it and it was always available in the fridge.

It's not my "goto" drink though....I finally settled on Fresca! It's a low-cal soda with that frefeshing grapefruit taste!

The really scary part is that now, I actually like it!

I love the stuff. This and Diet Sprite are the only diet sodas I like to drink. I don't really care for the regualr sodas in the states. The corn syrup kills it for me. Now in Europe, they use cane sugar, and it's a huge difference..................Yummy! :love:

The diet vanilla DP is pretty good, had it the last time I was in the states.

was just in the supermarket again this evening ...... oh God...... they have a pallet of Diet A&W Root Beer too !

I try to stay off sugar and have been using Xylitol instead...... one of the better diabetic-friendly sweeteners

Xylitol explained

YIKES! Diet Dr Pepper? sounds hideous.

Ok, my friend, I'm going to unravel the secret of the universe for you.

If you think you found 'nirvana' in Dr Pepper, then you'll absolutely find 'Shangrila' in Mr Pibb!

Try it ! You'll LIKE it!

Hasta,
Darren

And what did you really expect from prune soda?

Thanks for the great read. If it's not Dr. Browns then I am not drinking it.

Fish

LOL, great read. I will have to admit that diet soda is something one must acquire a taste for; I hated it at first but now that is all I drink.

Coke Zero is a good Diet drink that tastes like the real thing, anyone else tried that?