• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Differences within a cigar line

EmergenCigar

Gentlemen,

I am excited to grow in my smoking experience and learning what best fits my taste preference. Now that I have some favorites, I am left wondering which sticks within a brand to buy next? This dilemma has left me with a question to which I cannot seem to find the answer on CP. If it has been answered, would you be so kind as to direct me to it?

My question is this: Is the same wrapper, binder and filler used in all cigars of a certain line (ie AF Hemingway, Padron thousand series, Monte No 1-5, etc)? Is it merely the ratio of wrapper to filler that determines its taste / rating / preference for all who smoke them?

There is a finite amount of land in Cuba to grow tobacco. Could it be similar to Buffalo Trace Distillery determining which barrels become Pappy, EH Taylor, Eagle Rare, Buffalo Trace and so forth in that these particular leaves wind up being Monte No 1 while others are rolled into No 5? Or is merely the size and shape of the cigar that changes to characteristic of smoke?

Thanks so much!

My question is this: Is the same wrapper, binder and filler used in all cigars of a certain line (ie AF Hemingway, Padron thousand series, Monte No 1-5, etc)? It is my understanding that this is true.

Is it merely the ratio of wrapper to filler that determines its taste / rating / preference for all who smoke them?as far as sizes within the same line, my understanding is yes

I'm certainly not an expert, but answered based on my understanding of what I have read various places.
If I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will correct me.

From my understanding the answer to questions and and two is yes

question 3 is something I would love to hear more on myself

I have no idea about non Cubans... but for Cubans, different farms produce different crops of tobacco (sun, shade, soil), then you have the binder, the filler and the wrapper. With the binder you have different parts of the plant: Volado, Seco, and Ligero (Media Tiempo for Cohiba Behike) Different brands with have different ”bunching” of fillers. And if it’s a skinny like a lancero, the wrapper will make a huge difference in taste (less filler) The binder is usually Volado (bottom leaf of plant, stong for holding everything together, but much less flavor from less sun).

Bill, I think Brett's question was whether or not a specific line of cigars is exactly the same tobacco, filler, binder, and wrapper. In other words, is a Montecristo number 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 all exactly the same tobacco?

Bill, I think Brett's question was whether or not a specific line of cigars is exactly the same tobacco, filler, binder, and wrapper. In other words, is a Montecristo number 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 all exactly the same tobacco?
Gotcha... yes, same binder, filler and wrapper, different sizes yield different flavors.

This might explain a lot.

While all the factories that make a given Cuban cigar may get the same tobacco, some might get a better bale, or even treat bales differently from the time they receive it until it becomes a cigar, thus the reason why some factory codes are better than others?

Cigars are made from basically 100% natural/organic products, tobacco leaves, which will naturally vary to some degree, even if only a minute amount.
Throw in the fact that cigars are hand rolled, and there is yet another potential for variance.
Cigars are not widgets, compared to something say, like semiconductors.
Semiconductors are pretty damn precise; geometrically they may be one of the most precise manufactured products ever made in history. I know this because I worked in the industry for many years. At one time gate oxide layers were typically 225 angstroms in thickness.
Not a lot of wiggle room there. 😆
Cigars are the complete opposite, with a lot of room for variables, and for variance.
Any maker can have their leaves graded & sorted but at the end of the day making cigars is not an exact science.

I have tried every vitola of the AF Anejo except the #77 Shark.
In my experience the Anejo blend seems quite inconsistent. Then throw in the different vitolas & and the blend does present differently.
My sweet spot for the Anejo blend is the 888, which is the smallest ring gauge Anejo.

The LFD Diez is another blend that I have smoked every vitola. This blend seems much more consistent.
My favorite was also the smaller ring gauge examples; the Oriental & the Lancero.

I read an article many years ago that said something to the effect that many cigar makers don't make lanceros for their blends for public consumption but many of them make lanceros for the guy at the top of the company. There must be a reason for this.

Not every blend will translate well in a smaller ring gauge vitola but many blends will. I have purchased several blends in which I trend toward lanceros, and this is after having tried the larger ring gauges from the same blend. The smaller ring gauge just seems to work better for some blends.

I also read that lanceros were originally made for Castro by Cohiba; don't know if that's true but I've read stranger things ................

YMMV

Last edited:
Without going into quantum physics and the organic history of the world, the shark is my favorite Anejo and the 46 is the one I would smoke most often.;) And the difference across the line is distinct.

Also, don't forget that method of storage/maintenance can greatly change a cigar's taste, as well.

Last edited:
Also, don't forget that method of storage/maintenance can greatly change a cigar's taste's, as well.

That is very true: I have some blends that don't seem to age well, and others that age very well. I store them all the same way.

I typically try a stick right outta the box, and then a short time later after a few months, just to get an idea of where they start & where they are going.

Last edited: