• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Different Sizes? Different tastes?

bringbackphish

So I tried the search function and can't seem to use the right keywords but I have a dilemma. I really enjoyed the La Harencia Cubana Toros, I have been buying fivers for awhile. I desided to break down and buy a whole box. I accidently ordered the Lonsdale size.

They don't seem to have the same flavor profile. The taste is gone, the notes of pepper and redwine are gone. It seems like they have no taste compared to the Toro sized. Am I going nuts or does the size change the flavor that much. I know the Toros have a thicker ring but still.

Thanks,
Rob

Absolutely.
More wrapper to filler ratio in smaller ring sizes.

Age of the cigars also affects taste. Many times
the spice of a cigar will diminish with time. Doesn't
make it bad, just different.

Agreed. Lanceros have the most wrapper to filler, and so I find they have a stronger flavor, for better or worse.

Some blenders try to make every vitola in a line taste the same, as much as possible. Some blends intentionally have or accept differant flavor profiles for differant vitolas.

Then there is the idea that the size that the blender likes to blend in is often the best tasting vitola in the line.

I also think that there is a possibility that some factories use better tobacco in certain popular sizes, like the Robusto.

Yeah, I just had a 4.5 x 50 Camacho Triple Maduro the other night (my second that I've tried at this size) and although I still enjoyed the smoke, I definitely prefer the 11/18. Same follows for the Anejo line that I also had earlier in the week - I would take a #50 over a #48 or #49. Sometimes size DOES matter. ;)