• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Different taste/same type

OldGob

As my pallett becomes better for tasting cigars I have noticed that two cigars of the same type taste different in different sizes. The shorter thinner Carinos are more harsh then the Churchill size.  The Churchill is mild and almost sweet while the shorter (can't think of the name right now)  thinner Carinos is harsh and almost bitter on the retrohale.  Why is this?

OldGob said:
As my pallett becomes better for tasting cigars I have noticed that two cigars of the same type taste different in different sizes. The shorter thinner Carinos are more harsh then the Churchill size.  The Churchill is mild and almost sweet while the shorter (can't think of the name right now)  thinner Carinos is harsh and almost bitter on the retrohale.  Why is this?

Are you saying...

Size_Matters507.jpg

I've read that before several times.
Supposedly smaller cigars havemore flavor than the larger ones.
Unless you're talking about something like Asylum Straight Jacket of E.P. Carrillo INCH which are rolled with large sizes in mind.

Smaller cigars need to be smoked slower or they heat up to much and get bitter and harsh. Larger cigars are more forgiving.

Most people, as they get father info the hobby,prefer smaller ring guage cigars because the wrapper is usually the best leaf and gives the cigar most of its flavor.

Nestor Miranda was at a cigar event I attended in June and he talked about the effect that length and ring size has on cigar taste. His point was that if you want to taste more of the wrapper, smoke a long thin cigar because there is a higher Wrapper to filler/binder ratio. In a large ring gauge cigar, you will taste more of the binder.filler and the wrapper is a complimentary taste. So following his logic, a Cameroon lancero will have much more of the sweetness of the wrapper than a Cameroon Robusto. I am sure there are blenders that offset the filler/binder with the stronger wrappers but for the most part what he said seemed to make sense.

Bsneed51 said:
Smaller cigars need to be smoked slower or they heat up to much and get bitter and harsh. Larger cigars are more forgiving.

Most people, as they get father info the hobby,prefer smaller ring guage cigars because the wrapper is usually the best leaf and gives the cigar most of its flavor.
Do you remember what Wilkey's secret small cigar draw technique was? I've always wondered, though I've been using Mad Monk's triple draw for a while now with good results.
Bsneed51 said:
Smaller cigars need to be smoked slower or they heat up to much and

theebug said:
Nestor Miranda was at a cigar event I attended in June and he talked about the effect that length and ring size has on cigar taste. His point was that if you want to taste more of the wrapper, smoke a long thin cigar because there is a higher Wrapper to filler/binder ratio. In a large ring gauge cigar, you will taste more of the binder.filler and the wrapper is a complimentary taste. So following his logic, a Cameroon lancero will have much more of the sweetness of the wrapper than a Cameroon Robusto. I am sure there are blenders that offset the filler/binder with the stronger wrappers but for the most part what he said seemed to make sense.
That's why I wish they'd make a Diamond Crown lancero, it might actually be worth $18 or whatever they charge.