• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Digital Hygrometer Questions

2K6TBSS

Hey all,
I have a couple questions about my Xicar Digital Hygrometer. I tried to search, but didn't find anything. If these questions have been answered before, please point me in the correct direction.

How often should a do the salt test (recalibrate) on the hygrometer to ensure that it stays accurate? Once a month, every other month, every 6 months??? I did the salt test when I first got it about a month ago, and it read 75% after 24 hours in the plastic bag.

Also, how often should the battery be changed? I have read on here that as the battery gets low, you will see very off readings, and would like to avoid that. Should it be changed like 1 time a year, every 6 months, every 3 months, daily :laugh: ?

Thanks,
Jeff

I salt tested mine when I got them 2 years ago and haven't bothered since. I also just replaced the batteries in them in the last month or so. The display would fade in and out on me. I never salt tested it when the battery was low so I have no idea as to whether they loose their accuracy or not. Honestly, I use CI's Humicare Crystals in the humidor this time of year and Heartfelt Industries 65% RH beads in the summer in the Humis (and beads year round in the cooler) and don't worry about it too much. I've found the Humicare crystals give off more moisture in the winter when the air is dry and the beads soak up excess humidity in the summer better when the air is humid. I suppose I could use the beads year round, but in the winter it would take too many of them and thus reduce my storage capicity.

I'd suggest the salt test every time you replace the batteries.
You'll know when it's time to replace the batteries. The display
gets dim and eventually disappears.

Chemyst :cool:

I calibrate and change my battries every 6 months.

I move the batteries in to less critical items (clocks, remotes, etc.) so as not to waste them.

Thanks for the replies guys! I was thinking about replacing the battery about 1 time a year. Just wanted to make sure that they would last that long, and it seems as though they would.

I test and calibrate with a 65% Boveda pack. This way I know that my hygrometer is calibrated at the RH that I keep my cigars at. I know that the salt test is accurate for 75% RH, but I figure that there is too much margin for error in the 10% difference.

The Boveda packs are not too expensive and if you keep them in a small tupperware container when not in use they will last a long time. I have about 12 hygrometers, so it seems like I am always calibrating :rolleyes: