• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Digital hygrometer with calibration adjustments?

Cigar Penguin

I know I asked this in another thread in one of my replies but I cannot find the topic to see if anyone answered so here I am asking again.

I love my analogs because I can calibrate them easily with the adjuster screw.
I have 4 digital hygrometers and there is no way to adjust it to zero it or if its off readjust to proper levels.
Even the digital one from radio shack...which I swore would have a calibration button or sdjusting screw did not have one.

Are there any digital hygrometers that I can manually calibrate or adjust,maybe a auto calibration button?

Thanks

I have numerous models of digitals also. I have often wondered the same thing about calibration. I found something a while back that provided instructions to calibrate one of the Radio Shack hygros, but it was so complicated that it was not worth the effort. You would have to take the thing apart and adjust one of the potentiometers (sp), then do the salt test, adjust again, do the salt test, adjust again, do the salt test,adjust again, do the salt test, etc, etc..

I say get a digital, do the salt test - if within 1-2% use it. If not, return it and try again. I currently have 5 different model digitals (Western Caliber III, Little Havanna Perfecto, the round one from the CP store, one from cheaphumidors.com (I think), and one from Lowes.

The Westerns are spot on (all 3)- as is the one from the CP Store. The Little Havanna is 1% off (this is the second one that I bought - the first was 8% off. I returned that one and re-ordered after good reviews from BOTL on this board). The one from Lowes os 5% off (I don't use it in any of my humis - only to measure RH in my basement). The other one is 2% off. I use it in my coolidor.

The problem with the analog hygros is that they are not consistent. I had one of my orginal three analogs that was fairly accurate. I used it in my small desktop for a few months. I salt tested it with my Westerns. It adjusted it to read 75%. I came back from a trip and the wrappers on my sticks in that humi look a bit dry. I salt test it again. It was more than 10% off. This was less than 3 months from my original salt test. I replaced it with the small round one from CP Store and threw it in the garbage.

OK, I have rambled enough. Bottom line. Buy a good digital. Salt test it once a year, replace the battery when needed, and don't trust the analogs

I've got two new Little Havanas and they are substantially off. One is +7 and the other is +6. There must be potentiometers inside but I've not opened them up.

I simply put pieces of tape with the offset and the actual targets and let 'em rip.

Wilkey

Extech has a recalibratable pen hygrometer that comes with a salt test kit.

I've got two new Little Havanas and they are substantially off. One is +7 and the other is +6. There must be potentiometers inside but I've not opened them up.

I simply put pieces of tape with the offset and the actual targets and let 'em rip.

Wilkey

My personal tolerance is 2%. The Little Havanna's are the perfect size for my travel humi, but I refused to compromise. After I sent the first one back - I have had no problems. Though, it is the only one of its kind that I use. If you are not restricted on space - I highly recommend the Westerns. The CP round one that I have is spot one too, buut I have only had that for a short period of time

Thank you everyone for the replies and the links,thats pretty much what I figured.
My radio shack seems to be on the money,but the other 3 little cheapies are off,one by 10%.
I will look into the one from the link,but I doubt I will grab it at that price.

Thanks again,much appreciated.