• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Diplomaticos Theory

mjolnir01

El Cañón de Latón
As of 2010, Habanos S.A. has pared the Diplomaticos marca down to just one vitola, the No.2. Here's a crazy thought: I think the recent relaunch of Vegueros may be a little telling of where HSA is going with Diplomaticos.

I'm guessing in a few years, they'll relaunch Diplomaticos--which was originally intended to be a value-priced version of Montecriso--with some of the new Monte vitolas.  I'd expect an Edmundo, a Petit Edmundo, maybe a Petit No.2, and even a Medias Corona (the new Monte Half Corona is on the horizon)... heck, maybe even a 56+ ring gauge monstrosity as well.  New packaging, a new band, and popular new vitolas.

Completely uninformed speculation here, but does anyone have any thoughts on this theory?

They are good at marketing and getting better.
Your theory could be true.

edited for spelling

I've generally enjoyed Diplomaticos more than Montes... I may just be cheap. They seem to have a funkier quality.

Like QdO's, no cuban brand truly dies, they just live forever as an RE. La Escepcion, anyone?

Possible theory indeed. Maybe they are trying to maje people talk about the brand, make people miss the brand, wait a little, and then reintroduce it "for all you guys by popular demand" kinda way!

Very possible!

Anything is possible, but other than ELs or REs, I'm not holding my breath.

I would definitely pull the trigger on a box of Diplo Petit #2's.....and if they'd take a hint from Partagas on the small formats, a cab of 50 #5's might just get EL money out of me.  

I was re-reflecting on this the other day when I came to another realization that may support my crackpot theory... the latest Asia-Pacific RE release, the Diplomaticos Bushido, which is a Conde 109 size like the Edmundo Dantes.  Scroll all the way down to the bottom of Trevor's page (linky).