• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Disaster in Guyana

GuyanaBoy

HAPPY SMOKES!!
Well guys,

I have been in Guyana a little over a week, and things are really bad. We have had MAJOR flooding for the past five or six days (over 26 inches of rain) and as I write this, it is raining again.

Over 3 quarters of the population is flooded out. Take a look at this web site to see the devastation.
www.bryanmaxx.netfirms.com/

You can also go to my website at www.guyana-missions.org for info too.

Please put us on your prayer list. I had planned on being here until the 12th of February, but we are putting together a major relief effort here, and I will probably be here until the end of February or beyond.

Keep us in your thoughts and prayers.

HAPPY SMOKES!

STEVE

My thoughts and prayers are with you Steve and all the great folks of Guyana. Stay safe and God Speed..... :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

My thoughts are with you, stay dry!

My thoughts and prayers are with you. Good luck with the relief effort.

Hope you are able to keep the tobacco dry, Steve! God bless you, mi hermano.
Tom

The Last 24 hours have been quite eventful.

Last night, I met with the Minister of Health to discuss the needs the country has in the health sector. Disease is already starting to rear it's head here, and the water hasn't even receded yet. Health issues in the next few weeks are going to escalate radically.

Then, about 1:30am, it started raining with a vengence. It stormed all night long, and then drizzled all day. As of today, we have had 39 inches of rain since December 26th. Imagine that!

We sent bread, rice, sugar, and flour in three different directions today. East to individuals and an Orphans home. South to two different communities. And West to about six differnt communities.

And all through the day, the flood waters rose about three inches. Rain is in the forecast all weekend long. Pray that won't be the case.

Tomorrow, I meet with seen relief workers to coordinate our efforts and make sure what we are doing is not redundant. They have asked me to be the director of this effort so we will see how that goes.

Some of my friends and co workers have had three feet of water (or more) in their home for five days. FIVE DAYS! ! ! And there are literally tens of thousands of people who are homeless tonight.

This has been one of the worse things I have ever seen and it is far from over.
If I had $100,000,000 I don't think it would be enough. Right now, all we have raised is about $1,500.00, so we are a long way from even making a dent.

Please keep on praying for us!

And yes HudsonValley, the tobacco is still dry! :D I am in one of the local hotels and they are taking GREAT care of me. (In fact, I feel kinda guilty about that.)

Anyway, keep us in your thoughts and prayers and. . .

HAPPY SMOKES! ! !

STEVE

GuyanaBoy said:
We sent bread, rice, sugar, and flour in three different directions today. East to individuals and an Orphans home. South to two different communities. And West to about six differnt communities.
[snapback]159928[/snapback]​
I trust this is what the paypal link is going toward. ?

AbolutelyHudson Valley! That is the reason we are raising the funds.

Today, we sent out about 200 loaves of bread to seven different communities. In fact, we bought every loaf of bread the baker had.

We also had a strategy meeting today with 8 different people to organize a local relief committee. All of these people were doing things in several different directions. Now, we have combined our efforts and won't be doing things that are redundant.

We have set a goal to raise $100,000 for relief, and are working hard to reach that goal.

Keep us in your prayers!

HAPPY SMOKES! ! !

STEVE

Well, I thought I would bring everyone up to date. . . .

Today is the 12th day of the flooding, and over 75% of those affected still have water in their homes. Some houses still have over two feet of water in them. . . and have had for 12 days.

Today, we took delivery of 6.5 tons of rice, and are expecting food stuffs of all sorts of varieties tomorrow. We are really busy trying to get as much delievered as is possible.

Yesterday and today, it rained lightly most of the day. This did not cause the water to rise, but it didn't drop alot either.

On Saturday, we are going to deliver as much as possible to those who are hard hit. This is our first wave of relief. Starting next week, we will enter phase two.

Please keep us in your thoughts and prayers, and visit our website for further information. (www.guyana-missions.org)

Thanks gang! HAPPY SMOKES! ! !

STEVE

Today has been an eventful day.

The supplier we were originally dealing with, who was extending us a line of credit, and felt that he could get all the things on our list, told us at about Noon that he couldn't provide anything.

Needless to say, we left his office discouraged and concerned about our next move.

That is when our staff at Operation Guyana really got in gear. They all got on the phone, got in our vehicles, and started making deals.

Now, it looks like the large bulk of what we need is going to be in our possession by noon Saturday.

That boils down to;

6.5 tons of Rice
3.4 tons of Flour
2.2 tons of split peas
2.8 tons of sugar
1 ton of Powdered Milk
800 lbs of salt
1 ton of Potatoes
800 lbs of Cornmeal
200 lbs of Baking Powder
200 lbs of Curry Powder
800 lbs of sardines
400 lbs of Butter
28 cases of Beach
32 cases of Soy Oil

All of this should feed the twenty congregations that are hardest hit for one week. At that time, we are going to have to deliver more food, and start looking at Furniture, clothes, and other needs.

Thanks so much for your prayers, your encouragement, and your support! And. . . .HAPPY SMOKES! ! ! !

Your Bruddah,
Steve