• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Discussion at local shop

brian29

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I was at a local shop yesterday morning and participated in an interesting discussion. I wanted to see how some of the botl's here felt about the subject. At my local shop there was a gentleman saying that he only smokes larger ring gauge because they have more flavor. As he was saying that I started to think to myself that I could not agree with him 100%. I started to name just a few of the recent brands releasing lancero sized cigars and how great they tasted. I tried to tell him that flavor is affected by a large number of things aside from ring gauge. I mentioned humidity, how fast he is smoking his cigar, etc. (all knowledge I have gained here on CP :D ) in the end he remained stubborn and acted as if I didn't know what I was talking about. What bothered me the most is that he used his age as an arguing point. You are only 26 he said and he was nearly double my age. Instead of getting upset, I remembered having 2 DPG Cuban classic perlas in my shirt pocket. Being that they are of a smaller ring gauge I treated him to one. We both smoked it and I asked him what his thoughts were. He didn't admit to being wrong, but asked me where i got them and how much was the box. That was all I needed to feel like I had proven my point.

So what is everyones else's opinion on the subject?

Thanks,

Brian

42 educated me to the fact that coronas, lanceros, and the like being they are a smaller ring gauge that means there is more wrapper than filler and binder. Meaning you smoke more of the premium tobacco therefor more flavor profile. I tend to agrree.

Although my favorite size cigar personally is 5.5 X 50.

Growing Shade.com said:
There has been great debate over the years on whether the wrapper has any significant influence on the flavor of the cigar. Cuban producers claim the wrapper has little influence while producers from other countries tend to believe the wrapper accounts for 50 percent or more of the overall flavor of the cigar. If you asked my opinion, I would have to agree with the non-Cuban producers. The darker wrappers being more sweet and the lighter wrappers being more neutral.

I have always been of the opinion the wrapper has a considerable amount of influence of the taste of a cigar. Today I believe growers have perfected the art of rolling the smaller ring gauges to enhance the draw and flavor. Thus, you might find the more experienced rollers will be rolling the lancero and panatela sizes.

42 educated me to the fact that coronas, lanceros, and the like being they are a smaller ring gauge that means there is more wrapper than filler and binder. Meaning you smoke more of the premium tobacco therefor more flavor profile. I tend to agrree.

42 also taught you how to catch, instead of pitch, but ya don't see ME releasing that info. all over the board!!

:sign: :sign: :sign:

Aw who am I kidding, the only person who's gonna read this is TomthirtySix, and THEN he'll tell 42 when we're in chat, and then the jig is up!!! :0

In all seriousness, I am in agreement with Elsinore Matt and Jesus Matt. Herfin' together, we have all found and have come to the "Camp of the Lancero" for more flavor. :thumbs:

42 also taught you how to catch, instead of pitch, but ya don't see ME releasing that info. all over the board!!

:sign: :sign: :sign:

Aw who am I kidding, the only person who's gonna read this is TomthirtySix, and THEN he'll tell 42 when we're in chat, and then the jig is up!!! :0

In all seriousness, I am in agreement with Elsinore Matt and Jesus Matt. Herfin' together, we have all found and have come to the "Camp of the Lancero" for more flavor. :thumbs:

Just because you have a gun you think you can talk all that smack huh?

OK Copper how about you take off that badge and gun and meet me behind the B & M for a smoke off

... I tried to tell him that flavor is affected by a large number of things aside from ring gauge...
QFT

In my limited experience, I think it can go either way. While it's true that as the ring gauge gets smaller you have a higher wrapper/filler ratio, that doesn't necessary mean the cigar is going to have more flavor. Although it often does, it depends on the flavors/strengths of the wrapper vs. filler. Also, "having more flavor" doesn't necessary mean the cigar is going to be better or more enjoyable. I find that I enjoy smaller ring gauges in some blends, while in others the wrapper is too overpowering and I prefer a good 52 ring cigar instead.

It depends on the cigar. You just can't say, across the board, that any specific size automatically has certain attributes. It is the Tobacco, the intent and skill of the Blender, and the skill of the rollers, that all affect the outcome.

I'm about to go outside and smoke a HUGE 52X8" maduro...I will report back later on the ratio of filler to wrapper and the effect on taste, draw and construction...no I probably won't...but I am gunna' go out and smoke that cigar!