• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

District 9

souldog

OG Post-Whorer since 2008 bitches...
Who here has seen it? I went yesterday with Mrs. Souldog and Stoggie13, and man alive, was it an awesome movie. I'm a bit of a sci-fi fan (just don't turn on SyFy Channel when I'm around, I'll break your TV), and I loved this movie. I thought it was well written, the characters were done well, and the story wasn't your typical "alien first contact" type movie.

As the movie began, I was a bit disappointed as I thought it was going to follow your typical sci-fi storyline of, "Aliens come to planet, we contact them, find out the Aliens are going to destroy us, humanity comes together to defend earth, Aliens are defeated, everybody goes out for a beer." I have to say I was happy when the plot turned away form that "Independence Day" model. :thumbs: The documentary style isn't anything we haven't seen before, as portrayed in The Blair Witch movie, but the cinematography is done very well for the style it's shot in.

The violence wasn't glorified, although it is graphic but shown shortly, and definitely earns it's "R" rating. I personally wouldn't bring a 9 year old or a queasy wife to go see it, but man alive was the movie good. I really hope they make a District 10. Post what you thought about the movie, and if you're planning to go see it!

http://www.district9movie.com/
district-9-poster.jpg

Thank you Mr. Blomkamp.

I have been excited about seeing this movie, the trailer looks pretty cool. Several people have said it was very good, so I will be heading to see it soon.

Brandon

I saw District 9 yesterday and thought it was great.

It's a little confusing in the beginning, but once it gets going (and you figure out what is going on) it is fantastic.

I much agree with what has been said. I thought the first third was kinda slow because the movie caught me off guard. I thought it was going to be the typical action alien movie but after it was over, I felt like I did enjoy it rather well.

Me and my girl went to see it yesterday, and like yourself it was great to see something fresh on the screen without the cookie cutter alien movie. The main character was also pretty hilarious " FOOKEN HELL MAN " lol

I've been following this movie since it was pre-production, and I have had high hopes for it. I'm glad you enjoyed it Jon, you summed it up pretty much the same as my other friends who have seen the movie.

I'll reveal my nerdiness now with this information....

The reason I was so excited about this movie, is because it is rumored that this is Neil Bloomkamp's proving grounds to show he can take on a huge blockbuster movie. Prior to District 9, Bloomkamp had never done a film before, he was actually a director for commercials, albeit he was touted to be one of the most innovative directors on the scene of commercial production. Peter Jackson at the time was looking for someone who was unknown in the film industry to direct a huge film that he had in the pipeline, the movie based off of the video game franchise "Halo". Jackson chose Bloomkamp, believing that he would be the perfect director for the film, as he was unknown but possessed great talent. Unfortunately, it seemed that every potential financial backer of the film, such as Fox and Paramount, didn't feel the same way and believed that the movie should be directed by someone with experience under their belt, as the film has the potential to be a huge, and I mean absolutely huge, cash cow. So, without the financial backing to get the movie production started, Jackson put it on indefinite hold until he could secure investors. In the meantime, he and Bloomkamp worked on producing District 9, and it is rumored that this is Jackson's way of sticking it to the investors and saying, "Told you, bitches!" Hopefully if District 9 does well enough, the Halo movie will be back on track....

Yeah, I'm a nerd at times....whatever! :laugh:

I was told that District 9 was based on a short movie produced by Bloomkamp.
Does anyone have a link to this?

Never mind I found it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlgtbEdqVsk

Warning:
if you have not seen the movie (and plan on seeing District 9) don't watch this short film.

Great movie, go watch it when you get the chance. I thought I'd give my review of the movie; it gives it a bit of a twist.

I was told that District 9 was based on a short movie produced by Bloomkamp.
Does anyone have a link to this?

Never mind I found it:
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=ZlgtbEdqVsk

Warning:
if you have not seen the movie (and plan on seeing District 9) don't watch this short film.

Correct, what I meant by first movie, is this is his first full length film. He's done several "shorts", including some Halo ones that you can find on Xbox Live, actually. Also, thanks for the warning, I haven't seen the movie yet as I promised my brother that when he moves down here on the 26th of this month we would go see it, as well as Inglorious Basterds.

I had no idea what District 9 was until last week. All of the NYC buses had billboards on their sides saying Humans Only. And bus stops had this sign:
3658801219_7cae0be3dc.jpg

Someone finally told me what it was. I got to go see this now

Ive really been looking forward to this movie. Cant wait to see it. Looks unlike anything ive seen before!

I had no idea what District 9 was until last week. All of the NYC buses had billboards on their sides saying Humans Only. And bus stops had this sign:
3658801219_7cae0be3dc.jpg

Someone finally told me what it was. I got to go see this now

That's so cool! I love viral marketing! Go see it dude, the movie is awesome!

Most of the movies I've seen lately were underwhelming to say the least :( but this one looks good. May have to brave the dreaded theater...shudder...and go see this one on the big screen. Thanks for the tip souldog.

I caught the midnight premiere, it was great! What a refreshing change of pace compared with many of the action movies released lately.