• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Do any of you actually prefer to keep your smokes under 60%?

FireFighter 227

Weather has been super dry here in the southwest (10% and lower), so as you can imagine, it's been tough to keep humidity in my humidor. My average readings have been right around 60%, often a couple points under. It probably doesn't help that I open my small humidor at least once a day. Even with the low RH in my humidor, my smokes are still great. Just wondering if any of you actually prefer to keep your box under 60%

I live in the SW as well. I've found that when I've had a cigar that got below 60% it draws too easily and has a harsher taste to it. The smoke seems kind of raspy. I had to put 2 of the round humidifier jars in my desktop to maintain 65% here in AZ. You might try that. :thumbs:

A well known member here used to comment that he ran his cabinet at 58%. Personally, my cabinet hangs in the 65% range, but YMMV.

My cab is running between 58% and 62% and the cigars are fine. I might bump it up a little in the spring so the ligero gets a bit more moisture so they are not as strong though.

I keep my cigars at 69%-72%.
I like them more moist then dry,
didn't have any problem so far with that besides some drawing issues but that's rare.
I believe its a matter of taste.

Mine generally hangs around the 68-70%

Though I have heard that it is better to age cigars at a slightly lower level.

No, I try to keep mine around or above 65% rh. I find that many of my sticks end up taste a bit off it it drops below that, then the burn problems start for me then too.

My cabinet sits between 60-62 in the winter and right at 65 in the summer and I do not have any problems. Before I got another half pound of beads it was below 60 for a little while and all was well.

My cab is running between 58% and 62% and the cigars are fine. I might bump it up a little in the spring so the ligero gets a bit more moisture so they are not as strong though.

This is about what I'm running. Within the last few weeks I've bumped everything up to about 65%, but all winter it's been between 58%-62% and everything is smoking great. As a matter fact I've found that when the rH is too high the flavors become muted. Pepin doesn't recommend smoking any of his stuff over 65% IIRC. JO's in particular only smoke well for me at 60% or lower. YMMV

My vinotemp has about 3lbs of beads, all drawers and shelf are about 63-65%, but my top drawer, all my opus,htf, for some reason has been hanging at 58-61%, they are smoking fine though..

I have had a very hard tie holding humidity as well. Around 60% or less. I even added a water pillow to both my humi's and still no real results. Maybe 1 or 2% increase to RH with the WP.

I prefer to keep mine at 60% as much as possible. My finished basement naturally stays around that level most of the time. Right now, the RH down there is running in the mid 50s and my coolers are staying at 60. I have 65% beads but the temperature down there is usually around the mid fifties as well so the beads can't seem to raise the RH in the coolers much higher than 60% which is fine with me. In the summer, I run a dehumidifier down there to keep the room around 65%RH and the coolerdors start to creep up to that level. I find that I prefer my cigars at 60% rather than 65%. I haven't added water to my beads in the past two years.

I keep mine between 60 to 62% at all times. All my cigars smoke great at this RH%. I used to keep it at 69% and over the years I have changed my stance on the RH to what its currently at.

Mine are usually between 61 and 65 depending on how much I'm in there and what not. I tried 65-70 when I started out but found I didn't like the way they smoked. Like everyone says, it is really what you like.

Like many of us I started at 70% and it took me a while to embrace the wisdom of those that came before me. I went to 65% for a while and noticed a marked improvement in draw, burn and flavor but was still unsatisfied. Finally went to 60% and that's where I've been for years now. I aim for 55-60% and don't panic unless it dips toward 50%. I had no draw problems last year. The year before I had one tight drawing stick which I put back and revisited a few months later and it drew just fine. This is just one man's experience and YMMV.

Like many of us I started at 70% and it took me a while to embrace the wisdom of those that came before me. I went to 65% for a while and noticed a marked improvement in draw, burn and flavor but was still unsatisfied. Finally went to 60% and that's where I've been for years now. I aim for 55-60% and don't panic unless it dips toward 50%. I had no draw problems last year. The year before I had one tight drawing stick which I put back and revisited a few months later and it drew just fine. This is just one man's experience and YMMV.

Ah a man after my own heart! I've smoked a few of the Sheriffs cigars and can attest to his strategy :thumbs:

Living in high humidity Houston, It is very easy to keep my box at 70% rH. I like the taste of a moist smoke. It all comes down to personal preference.