• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Do Cuban cigars have a consistent blend?

jmcigars1

Have heard some people claim cc's dont have a consistent blend the best argument for this would be that supposedly cc's are made strictly with cuban tobacco therefore it is hard to come up with unique blends other than the spices, and other things they spray the tobacco with unlike other cigars which use of a mix of different tobacco from other regions along side the regular blending proccess

wondering your guys thoughts

Have heard some people claim cc's dont have a consistent blend the best argument for this would be that supposedly cc's are made strictly with cuban tobacco therefore it is hard to come up with unique blends other than the spices, and other things they spray the tobacco with unlike other cigars which use of a mix of different tobacco from other regions along side the regular blending proccess

You have a lot of questions, which is great. There is a vast wealth of information here for anyone to peruse and learn from. As someone who is also somewhat of a newer member here, I'd suggest diving headfirst into the search feature and starting there initially.

Which means reading a lot and posting a bit less. Another great benefit to being new here is the opportunity to take part in the Newbie Sampler/Trade. Take a bit to read the way it works below, and then check the latest posts on it to give it a try:

It will help go a long way to establishing yourself as a contributing member to this forum. And you'll get some terrific cigars to boot! 👍

I don't think it's too hard to come up with unique blends. Things like PSD4 & PLPC are pretty consistent with the blend, but definitely don't seem similar to each other in my opinion.

Now like fine wines, year to year vintages might have better years than others due to growing conditions such as weather and temperature.

My experience with frequent smoking of "ISOM: cigars ended in 2019 (I have one or two left) when I departed Costa Rica.

This is my own opinion (and input from one of my former guests, who was a highly experienced "premium" cigar smoker*).

They are produced under a communist regime where there is no incentive to excel. None. A highly skilled surgeon is paid the same as a cigar roller (officially). Cigars are an artificially controlled foreign exchange asset for the government (hence the government monopoly). Prestige brands like [redacted] (created for Fidel) at the upper end have more quality control.

However, ISOM cigars are valued by many purely based on their unobtainability and inflated cost. Many Nicaraguan and Honduran puros are their match, but don't have their cachet. [Redacted], for example (though [Redacted] controls their market and distribution to keep prices up too).

I used to smoke a "store brand" Nicaraguan puro ([Redacted but not available outside CR]) sold by the only real B&M cigar store in San Jose**. My guest, who had a walk-in humidor full of high end, highly rated (by [Redacted magazine] and others) cigars (ISOM and others) took multiple bundles back to the US. Why? Quality and consistency.

ISOM cigars are good cigars, but they aren't the Holy Grail. I've had verified real ISOMs that wouldn't draw.

*He used to buy out whole limited edition runs at the big events.
** A certified [Redacted] retailer. The [Redacted] in San Jose didn't want to deal with retail.

Last edited:
My experience with frequent smoking of "ISOM: cigars ended in 2019 (I have one or two left) when I departed Costa Rica.

This is my own opinion (and input from one of my former guests, who was a highly experienced "premium" cigar smoker*).

They are produced under a communist regime where there is no incentive to excel. None. A highly skilled surgeon is paid the same as a cigar roller (officially). Cigars are an artificially controlled foreign exchange asset for the government (hence the government monopoly). Prestige brands like [redacted] (created for Fidel) at the upper end have more quality control.

However, ISOM cigars are valued by many purely based on their unobtainability and inflated cost. Many Nicaraguan and Honduran puros are their match, but don't have their cachet. [Redacted], for example (though [Redacted] controls their market and distribution to keep prices up too).

I used to smoke a "store brand" Nicaraguan puro ([Redacted but not available outside CR]) sold by the only real B&M cigar store in San Jose**. My guest, who had a walk-in humidor full of high end, highly rated (by [Redacted magazine] and others) cigars (ISOM and others) took multiple bundles back to the US. Why? Quality and consistency.

ISOM cigars are good cigars, but they aren't the Holy Grail. I've had verified real ISOMs that wouldn't draw.

** A certified [Redacted] retailer. The [Redacted] in San Jose didn't want to deal with retail.
You don't have to redact names of cigars etc. just don't spam links and talk sources openly.

Just trying to avoid any idea I'm spamming.

For example, the cigars I used to smoke in Costa Rica. You can only buy them in one place as they are rolled for that shop. I can't even get them anymore (CR is viscously anti smoking and forbids mailing tobacco). I'm not going to mention the cigar name or the shop since you'd actually have to go there to buy them. And that shop sells (legitimate) ISOM sticks so I won't mention any brands he sells.

Last edited:
So why have a link function on the board? Honest question.

I'd disable it.

Meanwhile, what's your opinion on ISOM cigars?

So why have a link function on the board? Honest question.

I'd disable it.

Meanwhile, what's your opinion on ISOM cigars?
When you start your own cigar forum, I guess you can disable that function... In the meantime you are here and I and others are trying our best to help you along with the way things are done on this forum. As for ISOM cigars, I like them quite a bit, but agree that the quality control is not always there.

IMHO, no. At least not over several years. I also believe most non-CC’s also have blends that change. The most consistent of the mass produced I’d say are Fuente, and Padron, without hesitation. I’d even toss Tatuaje, Warped, anything by My Father cigars or Oliva in that mix. Since tobacco is organic, it’s almost a guarantee that there will be changes over the years.

You don't know what the [Redacted] you are talking about...

Really? Honest question.
Because a link function is used to link to locations on the internet. If a user links to a cigar or cigar accessory to for whatever reason then they are linking to a source. And you don't want that.

Because a link function is used to link to locations on the internet. If a user links to a cigar or cigar accessory to for whatever reason then they are linking to a source. And you don't want that.

The sources rule is about Cubans. It's explained more in the new members rules. If you see a good deal on, say, Oliva Melanios at CigarPage or even CI, you can mention it outright and embed or post the link directly to the sale page. In fact, that kind of contributing is welcomed here.

It's just with CCs still being illegal here in the States, it doesn't benefit this community by openly discussing actual illegal wares. If it were done, we'd be besieged by the unscrupulous out there more than we already are.

We do not wish to be besmirched in such a way here.. hence the common sense rules.

The sources rule is about Cubans. It's explained more in the new members rules. If you see a good deal on, say, Oliva Melanios at CigarPage or even CI, you can mention it outright and embed or post the link directly to the sale page. In fact, that kind of contributing is welcomed here.

It's just with CCs still being illegal here in the States, it doesn't benefit this community by openly discussing actual illegal wares. If it were done, we'd be besieged by the unscrupulous out there more than we already are.

We do not wish to be besmirched in such a way here.. hence the common sense rules.

@MilesMingusMonk Be sure to include @xyz123 as a potential candidate for inclusion on the Board of Directors at the next BOD CP meeting. And bring an extra fez just in case...

@MilesMingusMonk Be sure to include @xyz123 as a potential candidate for inclusion on the Board of Directors at the next BOD CP meeting. And bring an extra fez just in case...
Wait that’s all it takes to make the board?

And here I thought the strategy was spending wayyy too much money on double banded cigars. Someone has sent me astray. 🤣