• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Do I need to reseason my humidor?

mikemny

I noticed my humidor has been showing low RH, i recently bought another hygrometer, the western caliber 3, I think it is, and it confirms, the bottom part is around 51, and upper shelf around 58

I originally was using a mesh bag with beads, I think 3 oz if I recall, I just recently purchased another Large Tube 65% which says it should cover 1080 cubic inches. So now I have both in there.

I do not have a large humidor, I have the Milano which holds 75-100 cigars if that...really only have about 30 in there at the moment.

When I first got my humidor last summer, I seasoned it for a week, and it seem to hold RH fine, but I notice in winter went down really bad.

So Now I am really worried, and trying to figure out if I need more beads, or should I re season it again?

Any thoughts? Thanks

http://www.cigarpass.com/forumsipb/index.php?showtopic=54228&hl=seasonal%20humidor%20&st=0

Thanks for link...and I understand humidity will go down but I thought that was the point of having a humidor to maintain it?

..rh 51 is ok for cigars on the bottom shelf? for several months? It is April already and still not rising, I guess I have to wait until summer?

I thought anything under 60 will dry out cigars for long periods of time?

If you have had low 50 RH for months now, you might not like the cigars when you try to smoke them. They will probably just fall apart.

Have you checked the seal on the humi to make sure it's still good? You might have a bad seal, if that's the case you can re-season all you want and not have any luck.

I would suggest taking your sticks out of the humi and making a temporary tupperdor or something to keep your stash in.

I would set up a task list of items to check and then mark each off as you decide whether or not they had any influence in maintaining your RH!
In the process you might want to make some upgrades to the items you are currently using as they may have become defective due to poor manufacturing or they are just old and need to be replaced.
I would print off the list provided in the forum and use that as your guide.
good luck