• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Do you crack...

MichaelD

What does this button do again?
So perhaps a silly question, but when you guys first store boxes in your humidor, do crack them open? I get that in time even a closed box with adjust to the relative humidity level within the humidor, but I figured storing them initially would accelerate the process so that I can enjoy a rested cigar sooner. I've been using the little lock hinges to keep the box lids cracked open. Stupid idea?

Thanks in advance.

I've never done it mainly because I figure that the box is probably halfway decently humidified. Years ago, I used to wrap a damp towel around a box, overnight, if it took a while to arrive from the vendor.

I used to do that when I had a smaller rotation of cigars, so that I could smoke the cigars sooner... Now that I have enough stock to choose from, I let the boxes closed, and they just rest as is untill I have the urge to smoke them....

Guess it also depends on the condition of the box once it gets to you.... If properly humidified upon arrival, and you have a properly maintained and seasoned humidor, they should be ok from the get go.....

I'll open them for inspection.  Several years ago I bought a box where the sticks were almost completely covered with mold.  Although this has happened only once, it just seems prudent to inspect a box when it arrives.

I always inspect them, perhaps even gently stroke them and whisper sweet nothings to them... My precious. Oh wait, what were we talking about again?

But yes, I for sure take a look. I guess once I can't stack them without cause a Jenga topple, I'll keep them closed. Thanks guys.

I always open the box and give the cigars a careful look before they go into the humidor.

After inspecting the boxes, I close them completely and then place them on the most humid part of my humidor.

Completely closed for me.  But I stack a bunch, so there's really no way to have any cracked open even if I wanted to.