• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Do you...

Do you do yourcooking by the book?

• Of course!

Votes: 15 20.8%
  • No, I'm a maverick!

Votes: 46 63.9%
  • Atoms and particles behave in probabilistic ways, but our mind is made of atoms and particles... How

Votes: 11 15.3%

• Total voters

insight

Making friends everywhere!
lazytown_cooking_by_the_book_stephanie_bake_a_pretty_cake.jpg

Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable - a most sacred right - a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world.

Looks like the kids are watching way too much Nick Jr. at home Phil. :D

I only have three rules in cooking:

1. If I like everything that goes IN a dish separately, I'll probably like it mixed together, too.
2. Everything is better chunky.
3. Bacon! :D

~Boar

BTW, choice three already assumes a materialist reduction of matter, and that's just stupid. If we're not reducing something like marinara or barbecue sauce, who cares?

I like learning to put flavors together so generally, not by the book. Some things you just can't do w/o a recipe though unless you're a chef.
So yes and no.

I usually glance over the ingredients, then put the book away.

It usually works out, except when there's some special technique or order required. :laugh:

Well, you learn to cook with recipes, written in glossy cookbooks or from granny's terse instructions alike.

Then, when you know what goes with what; you make your own damned recipes. From scratch, as much as possible. Tastes better, costs way less and your brass fittings in the kitchen will be buffed with the thousand excited gyrations derived from a succesful dish.

The first time I go by the book, then I mix it up to see if I like it better or not.

All of my recipes start with "pour a glass of wine and get more garlic". :)

That sounds like a great recipe! .......Oh, you start with that, well that sounds just as great too!:laugh:

Not if you are making ice cream!:p

Bah, everything goes with ice cream. It's one of those magical foods that goes good with everything.

Bacon....The food you are think of is Bacon!

That sounds like a great recipe! .......Oh, you start with that, well that sounds just as great too!:laugh:

Not if you are making ice cream!:p

Bah, everything goes with ice cream. It's one of those magical foods that goes good with everything.

Bacon....The food you are think of is Bacon!

Yes! Bacon another magical food that goes with everything!

I like to try a recipe out first and see what it tastes like. If I think I can improve or make a subtle change then I will make changes. Recipes are like road maps or gps they get you there but not the way you may want to get there. Like in all things in life YMMV :thumbs: