• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Does length matter myth.....in a cigar’s ash

Thoughts

Forehead wrinkle king
There are contests where people try to get the longest ash in a cigar before it slides off. Others may try it with most cigars or periodic cigars they smoke. Either way there are multiple groups out there that strive to obtain the longest ash possible with every smoke. They also tend to rate their cigars with how long the ash holds on and if they can make it till the end.

I’ve never been one to compare the length of the ash to the smoking experience other than comparing short filler versus long filler. All the while some reviews point towards a cigar’s excellent construction versus a tight pack (god the innuendos).

My question is a two parter. Like what you smoke and smoke what you like (Doc), but do better cigars typically come with longer ash. Mainly, should you even be attempting to keep an ash for that long, as some say that inhaling through a 3-foot ash impairs the flavors obtained during the smoking experience. What’s is y’alls experience with this?

@jfields holds the long ash record, which we were discussing not long ago... I believe by concentrating on holding the ash that long, takes away from the sheer enjoyment of the cigar (John, feel free to chime in here)
My opinion is that it is totally arbitrary. Meaning I have had 100 point cigars that could hold a 3 inch ash with no problem at all. And a 100 point cigar that would drop a 1/2 inch ash in my lap... both long filler, but different bunching... But, saying this, I am reminded of the preembargo cigars that have that long ash that you cannot knock off, solid and thick...

All I know is, I like to see my ash look like a stack of dimes. Also, I don’t like when ash flops in my lap so, I always try to drop my ash in the tray when it gets to be an inch mas o menos.

I'm with Bill on this one. A cigar will tell you how long it's ash is going to be. Some ash is a good thing as it forms a thermal envelope, helping the cigar burn more evenly. But, they don't have to have a foot of ash hanging off them to be an amazing cigar. As I recall, the best cigars I've ever smoked usually deposited their ash in my lap at some point....:)

I'm with Bill on this one. A cigar will tell you how long it's ash is going to be. Some ash is a good thing as it forms a thermal envelope, helping the cigar burn more evenly. But, they don't have to have a foot of ash hanging off them to be an amazing cigar. As I recall, the best cigars I've ever smoked usually deposited their ash in my lap at some point....:)
Agreed!

Excellent input guys. This helped clear up alot of the crap found on google. Thanks again for answering!

@Scap Daaaaaaamn that looks good, very nice brother

For years I used to put in extra effort to hold a cigar vertically and preserve the ash but I'm with Sid in agreeing that this had slightly taken away from the enjoyment of smoking. I think it goes without saying that a longer ash keeps the burn cool and straight, there's no myth there.