• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Dog owners, please help....

Darren, what breed? is your dog overweight, what do you feed? need more info!

Rene

Glad things are working out Darren!

Not to make this about "me" but so you know that I understand what you're going through.

I have a 12 year boxer (Buster) who started dragging his feet. After a butt load of really expensive tests (as you know), it turns out he has a degenerative spinal condition and has continued to get worse and worse. Luckily, he doesn't seem to be in any pain but I think he only has a few weeks left.

God speed bro, sounds like what we were wishing for!

~Mark

Mark,
I am so very sorry to hear this about your beloved Buster. Stories like that break my heart as I'm an animal lover through and through. Prayers for you and Buster.

Darren

Darren, what breed? is your dog overweight, what do you feed? need more info!

Rene

hello Rene,
My dog is a Papillon. He was over-weight and initially when I brought my dog in for his hind leg lameness the surgeon who will be doing the procedure this coming Thursday (Dr Van Ee) told me that Mickey should lose weight to bring him down to his normal size (9 lbs, versus the 15.4 lbs he was at !!!!). Needless to say I started him on walks every other day (because they would exacerbate his spinal problem) as well as cutting his food down to lesser amounts. Sadly, along with this spinal issue Mickey is also prone to bladder stones and has had 2 surgerys already, each one 5 years apart from the other. Because of this condition he is permanently on Science Diet U/D, the wet/canned variety.

Darren

UPDATE - 1/22/09
Mickey is undergoing the hemilaminectomy procedure as I type this. I'm praying he pulls through and Dr Van Ee is highly successful with this surgery. As a dad I'm on pins and needles waiting to hear back from the surgeon to see how Mickey did.

Please pray for my little guy at this time. We're not out of it, yet.

Thanks to all,
Darren & Mickey.

Mickey_after_2.jpg

Ok, scratch that update above. Mickey is OUT of surgery and everything went well. The extruded disk that was pinching off his spinal cord at the T12, L1 position has been fixed. This is nothing but good news. That means he will be well on his way to a more positive recuperative time table.

The doctor told me he came out of the surgery well and they have him on a little more morphine to keep him pain free.

I'll keep you all up to date on how things progress from here. Now comes the hard work of recuperation, and rehabilitation.

All the best,
Darren and Mickey

I am very happy to hear this. I will continue to send positive thoughts and prayers his way.

Congrats!!! As a fellow dog owner it always makes me sad when a dog is not doing good. Hopefully soon he will be as good as new!!!

That's good to hear. He looks like a playful little guy! I hope he's back to normal in short order. :thumbs: