• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Dog question

Shooter

Living life on the heavies.
Anybody have any experience with one. I was playing with our bulldog and noticed his ear is about twice the size it should be. It's swollen and full of fluid. I have researched it and its either surgery or let it heal itself.

Any advice...

Thanks
Shane

Could be a yeast infection. It's that time of year. You really should take him to a vet.

NA

That happened to my dog's nuts right after we adopted him and before he was neutered...swollen like you wouldn't believe.

But after Marty's neuterization, he was just fine, with a little medication.

This might not help you with your dog's problem, but at least it gets your post BTT. Hope your dog gets better quick... :thumbs:

Well the poor guy has ear problems all the time, and it is supposed to come from shaking of the head and rupturing of a blood vessel and it turn you have a giant blood blister.

It looks just like the pictures I have seen. But it doesn't seem to hurt him that much. I guess another trip to the vet is in order...

Thanks
Shane

My Great Dane gets these every so often from her flapping her ears. Hers don't get that big, but they do go back down eventually.

I've been told by vets that with a dog who's ears flop down (we've always had retrievers and setters) they're very prone to ear mites and if left uncleaned, can become quite a problem (we've been there).

I'll second other's suggestions and get the big guy to a vet. May be something worse than ear mites, but hopefully not.

Our Pitbull has that problem now...Our vet instructed us to leave it alone. It will shrink....

Yep...vet time.

Good luck with the furry family member - B.B.S.

It could shrink, assuming the dog stops shaking it's head. But, with a big ear-pillow hanging for thier head, they tend to shake more.

When I worked for a vet this was common. If it doesn't shrink, the vet will have to drain it. They make a bunch of small cuts on the flap of the ear to drain the fluid and then stitch up the cuts. Nasty sh*t to watch. I've even seen a dog that came back for a second time because it shook it's head while healing and the fluid just built up again.

Best thing you could do is take the dog to the vet ASAP.

Leaches!!! Works every time. Cheap to buy on the internet...dog doesn't know they are there!

Leaches!!! Works every time. Cheap to buy on the internet...dog doesn't know they are there!

Serious

No...but I have heard of them being used for various surgeries like re-attaching an ear or findertip...they get the blood flowing in the small blood vessels and they suck a lot of blood. Maybe worth looking into!

-Fetter

The wife and I decided to let it ride for a few days and see how he does. He is in no pain and seems to be doing fine. From what i have read and some others advice, it should take care of itself.

My lab had it once. After swimming she shakes her head a lot. The vet said leave it and it disapated, though she has a wrinkly ear now. After a day or so, it healed and it was too late to do anything. It hasn't happened again, and that was about 6 years ago.

My lab had it once. After swimming she shakes her head a lot. The vet said leave it and it disapated, though she has a wrinkly ear now. After a day or so, it healed and it was too late to do anything. It hasn't happened again, and that was about 6 years ago.

Ahh its a 90 pound bulldog, you think he cares how he looks :D .. hell his gas could gag a maggot, and he has half his hair.. poor guy.