• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Dog Rocket Review

nobius

Cuban Reject
I am going to kick this off with the worst cigar I have ever bought or held. Cuban Rejects.

Size: Corona
Wrapper: Natural/Maduro(ish)
Price: $1.65 (overpriced if you ask me)
Draw: not tested
Burn: not tested
Flavor: not tested

I bought these in my relentless, on-going search for the "good, cheap smoke". I know all about the Padron x000 series, Punch, Perdomo Fresco, etc. I just can help myself though. I see a cheap smoke that appears to be well put together, and I have to buy at least one. In this case I bought two:

100_2540.jpg

Not too bad at first glance. Here is a closer look at the maduro(ish) version:

100_2545.jpg

Still not bad looking.

What you are not able to experience however is the distinct odor of ammonia emminating from this stick. Seriously, I have mopped my floors and the smell not been this strong. I don't know how I didn't notice this at the store, but it didn't hit me until I removed it from the cello.

Here is the other thing I noticed when I removed the cello:

100_2546.jpg

WTF is that?!?! I may not be the experienced smoker that some of the other members are, but I do know that "maduro" is not supposed to rub off on your fingers.

On to the cut:

100_2550.jpg

Oh look, short filler, what a surprise. The ammonia smell got worse when I cut into the cigar. The other smell that hit me is that of an old cigarette. I am not an expert on tobaccoes, but I think this may be "aged" Burly, or cigarette, tobacco. This is going completely on smell and with no expert information what-so-ever. I also noticed that the tobacco seemed to be packed more tightly at the foot and head of each of these sticks. What effect this would have had on the draw, I can only imagine.

After removing the filler and binder leaves:

100_2552.jpg

Notice the variation in color on the binder leaves themselves. I know that there are blends out there that use different leaves in the binder, but I would not think that any of them use a variation from greenish to almost black.

100_2558.jpg

This is a close-up of the inside of the wrapper. You can actually see the striations where the dye used for the "maduro" appearance is darker in the veins than in the leaf.

On the whole, I am very glad that I noticed the smell and did not light either of the two sticks or put them in my humidor.

Final rating: 0
This cigar has no redeeming qualities other than price.

Back