• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Dollar is strong as hell !

mementomori

I haven't seen dollar that strong for few years now . 1.25 to euro and 0.78 to canadian , 1.59 to pound -wow dollar really kicks ass lately . Perhaps it's a good time to buy more cigars , definately more buying power for Americans !

I haven't seen dollar that strong for few years now . 1.25 to euro and 0.78 to canadian , 1.59 to pound -wow dollar really kicks ass lately . Perhaps it's a good time to buy more cigars , definately more buying power for Americans !

...but bad for our exports.

You can't keep everyone happy all of the time.

The dollar looked like this and stable 7.5 years ago.

US companies who export obviously are not happy.

The majority of folks are happy, or will be when they see imported goods come down. This with the many sales going on, will hopefully get some people, who can afford it, to spend again. This is what the economy needs.

Brian

You can't keep everyone happy all of the time.

The dollar looked like this and stable 7.5 years ago.

US companies who export obviously are not happy.

The majority of folks are happy, or will be when they see imported goods come down. This with the many sales going on, will hopefully get some people, who can afford it, to spend again. This is what the economy needs.

Brian

You're very likely correct -- except if you work for a company that sells stuff outside of the USA. Then it may not be so sanguine.

Also, as the value of the dollar increases, the price of oil decreases. :thumbs: But, yeah, it does suck for companies that export goods.

Glad someone else noticed. That would explain why I've seen alot ISOM prices starting to drop.

Good for american consumers. Bad for american industry. Unless you're planning on living off your savings for the near future ... just plain bad.

Savings? What the hell is that? lol heh.

No one can have it all, American business needs to get tougher, stronger dollar equals cheaper oil. Better then nothing at all, and one more thing, BUY AMERICAN. :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

Yeah, I can't believe it. I've been shorting the dollar for years as a matter of course. This last one nicked me for a little. Oh well, can't win em all! Time to go long!

JK

Bah! You may be happy, but our dollar only buys $0.61 of your USD. That means less purchasing from small businesses like Tower Cigars etc. It's a double edged sword guys.

Bah! You may be happy, but our dollar only buys $0.61 of your USD. That means less purchasing from small businesses like Tower Cigars etc. It's a double edged sword guys.
Yep, I hear you! But lets be realistic here. The dollar was way down over the last 7 years due to a lack of confidence. It has taken a huge occurrence to set the currencies straight. Amazing
how everyone STILL clings to the dollar. One would think that after the lack of confidence in the US economy, the world currencies would have switched to the Euro, not so. YET!

As a result of a low dollar, all currencies benefited. The Canadian was stronger than the US dollar, the Australian was the highest it has ever been, the Euro and Pound, as well. Many more
US companies started exporting because it became attractive/lucrative for them and other countries. While this is good for the companies that started exporting and I hear what guys like Moki say, it's not cool for
someone who exports now, local industry suffered. Do you have any idea how many factories were set up in China using US factory equipment in the past 7 years, it's staggering. These factories could not compete
any more in their own local industries (American made) and so they sold off entire plants that were relocated to China. I know a guy who did/does this.

When this crap settles with the money markets, the currencies will also settle but I don't see the dollar falling back to 2:1 to GBP (Pound) again, for example. This world is changing, I don't think things will be the
same in the near future. But then, WTF do I know.

Brian

I import alot form the US, but I feel I may soon be cutting this down alot. I've got a few orders coming in at the moment, and I have been questioning how worth while it is for me to do that at the moment, with cigars it still seems fine, the prices are just sky high here anyway, as long as I dont pickup any duties its all good.

Interesting though, I dont know much about this kind of stuff at all, In my simple mind, I expected the opposite, with all the bank problems and economy problems, I presumed this would continue to weaken the power behind the dollar, but instead its got strong, and I must add, very quickly compared to the period of time it took to get to 2:1. Can anyone enlighten me on the basics to why the dollar has boomed at the click of a finger...

I import alot form the US, but I feel I may soon be cutting this down alot. I've got a few orders coming in at the moment, and I have been questioning how worth while it is for me to do that at the moment, with cigars it still seems fine, the prices are just sky high here anyway, as long as I dont pickup any duties its all good.

Interesting though, I dont know much about this kind of stuff at all, In my simple mind, I expected the opposite, with all the bank problems and economy problems, I presumed this would continue to weaken the power behind the dollar, but instead its got strong, and I must add, very quickly compared to the period of time it took to get to 2:1. Can anyone enlighten me on the basics to why the dollar has boomed at the click of a finger...
Yep, you are right, it's amazing how fast the dollar strengthened, against how long it took to get to 2:1 (2 Dollars to 1 Pound)

I do a lot of business around the world and recently I fugged up. Like I said in my previous post, WTF do I know. I had dollars in in Jersey which I converted to GBP at just under 2:1 because I got a better interest rate. Guess what, within 3 months I lost 30% just from the exchange.

Back to your question as to why the dollar strengthened. Historically the dollar has always been the stable currency in the world. Recently in Europe and the UK the shit hit the fan, banks closing, governments nationalizing banks etc, so the dollar once again became the currency of confidence.

The interesting thing here is that the Dollar is at an all time low to the Yen but countries/people would rather invest in Dollars than Yen, confidence thing I guess, OR, WTF do I know? :laugh:

Brian