• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Dominican leaf to Cuba?

Read this article and let me know your thoughts:

Interview with Emilio Reyes

Here's my thought:

For the life of me, I cannot understand where you're going with this.

The title of this thread is "Dominican leaf to Cuba?" but the article you referenced doesn't appear to me to have anything to do with that. This article is just a bio on Emilio Reyes.

Read this article and let me know your thoughts:

Interview with Emilio Reyes

Here's my thought:

For the life of me, I cannot understand where you're going with this.

The title of this thread is "Dominican leaf to Cuba?" but the article you referenced doesn't appear to me to have anything to do with that. This article is just a bio on Emilio Reyes.

From the article:

"Don Emilio, with brothers Augusto, Leonardo, and Priamo Ernesto, supply dark tobacco to some of the most prestigious brands on the U.S. and international markets, as well as to the Cuban cigar industry. That statement draws my surprise, and Reyes explains his family has regularly supplied Cuba since his grandfather Julio’s time, about 100 years ago"

From the article:

"Don Emilio, with brothers Augusto, Leonardo, and Priamo Ernesto, supply dark tobacco to some of the most prestigious brands on the U.S. and international markets, as well as to the Cuban cigar industry. That statement draws my surprise, and Reyes explains his family has regularly supplied Cuba since his grandfather Julio’s time, about 100 years ago"

I've heard from a number of highly placed people that Cuba has for years sourced some of its tobacco from outside of the country. But then I've also heard from other equally highly placed people that Cuba does not.

Personally, I just really don't care. If I like the cigar, I like it, and I could care less what they blended to make it.

OK, I am intriged. Is this article "new news?" I think I remember seeing Flor de los Reyes at my B&M, but I am not familiar with any of the others. Are they good?
And what about this statement... “Except for the years 1993 and 1994, when I was there, Cuba has and does not ferment their wrapper tobacco”

Is that true? And is it true in the DR, NIC, etc...?

Brand: Flor de Los Reyes, Emilio Reyes, Santiago, Dominican Republic.

Cigar lines:
Adan y Eva (Flor de Los Reyes flagship premium brand) - retail $3.25 to $5.50.
Dominican Republic Gold (DRG), (Aged for 10 years) - retail $4.00-$5.00.
Robusto XO Maduro (Mysterious?)
Traders Reserve
Emilio Reyes
Breves
Flor de los Reyes
Don Priamo
Los Reyes Unidos

C&G...always looking for new experience. (cigar smoking)

From the article:

I've heard from a number of highly placed people that Cuba has for years sourced some of its tobacco from outside of the country. But then I've also heard from other equally highly placed people that Cuba does not.

Personally, I just really don't care. If I like the cigar, I like it, and I could care less what they blended to make it.

I was hoping this article would stir some discussion and viewpoints from people. I heard once from a Perdomo rep that Cuba was importing tobacco from Nicaragua but I just laughed it off as the guy trying to push his own product. Now I read this article with some HUGE claims. Not only does he mention about Dominican tobacco to Cuba, he also talks about them using Connecticut shade, and he says they don't ferment their wrapper leaf!

Now, is Emilio full of it or is there some truth to any of this? If he was really in Cuba as a consultant for 5 years, that sort of information could be checked out so he wouldn't make that part up. I don't know what to think anymore.

From the article:

I'm with you there.

I do find it somewhat interesting that Cuba would bring tobacco in from other countries, but it doesn't really make a difference to me. If they are doing that, though, they certainly shouldn't be advertising those marcas as puros. I don't know if they really do (I'm not really all that knowledgeable about Habanos and their business practices), but they shouldn't.

Well Zee if the claim is true, then a puro is not a puro as most of us believe.

Thanks for sharing this info. But I doubt seriously that there is enough leaf in Cuba to produce the record number of cigars for world wide consumption without a little help from their friends.

Well...much like how farmers cross-breed certain species of fruit (for example) to yield a larger or more pest resistant fruit, the same applies w/ tobacco plants. Playing around w/ various species to produce either fine quality tobacco for use as wrappers, or leaves that would make excellent blends, etc.

I'm not opposed to non-Cuban cigars. (Although I admit...that I tend to gravitate towards them...haha)
Different countries have different climate conditions which can produce wonderful cigar traits that are unique to a particular region.

Much like expensive cars. A Bentley is different from Rolls Royce is different from a Bugatti, etc.

I don't for a second believe his "unfermented wrappers" claim. That, in my mind, casts doubt on everything else he's saying.

Perhaps they're buying Dominican tobacco. If they are, that doesn't mean it goes into Havana cigars.

As others have mentioned, as long as I enjoy what I'm smoking, I really don't care where it comes from.

I don't for a second believe his "unfermented wrappers" claim. That, in my mind, casts doubt on everything else he's saying.

Perhaps they're buying Dominican tobacco. If they are, that doesn't mean it goes into Havana cigars.

As others have mentioned, as long as I enjoy what I'm smoking, I really don't care where it comes from.

Yep I was really skeptical about the non-fermented claim of the wrappers too. I have to ask myself though, does Emilio really have anything to gain by making these claims though? He's not hurting for money based on the article and the history of his family in the business, so I just don't know.

I'm not against non-Cuban cigars either, on the contrary there's alot of non Cubans I really enjoy, Padrón being my favorite. I just got back from smoking a Don Pepin black label and man, it was good! As Tony pointed out though, if it's true they're importing tobacco from other countries, the claim of a puros is a lie. Food for thought is all I intended.

Pretty interesting, makes you wonder where the maduro wrapper for the new cohibas are coming from.

Thanks for the info Zee!

I've yet to have a single cooban to remotely taste anything like a Nicaraguan, Dominican, Honduran, Brazilian, Chilean, Costa Rican, whatever......

Maybe the so-called imported tobacco goes into the cigars that are not made for export? There is, to me, a very distinct flavor profile between different regions and I can't imagine this being done to EXPORT quality coobans.

I seriously would doubt it, there seems to be a certain jealousy from productors outside Cuba and claiming they send leaf to Cuba would just boost their image and prestige as a premium and equivalent to Cuban,

my 2cents

I seriously would doubt it, there seems to be a certain jealousy from productors outside Cuba and claiming they send leaf to Cuba would just boost their image and prestige as a premium and equivalent to Cuban,

You'd be surprised at the things that go on in the Cuban cigar industry. You might think there's a steeped, valued tradition, etc, etc., but for the majority of people in the business, they are just churning out product. Some remarkably short-sighted things tend to happen.

'I've yet to have a single cooban to remotely taste anything like a Nicaraguan, Dominican, Honduran, Brazilian, Chilean, Costa Rican, whatever......

Maybe the so-called imported tobacco goes into the cigars that are not made for export? There is, to me, a very distinct flavor profile between different regions and I can't imagine this being done to EXPORT quality coobans.'

According to this article though, the unique flavor profiles of Cuban cigars are due to the RH remaining at over 90% most all of the time, and the even fermentation that this results in. Given this, is it then at least conceivable that tobacco from other regions could come to taste Cubanesque if fermented in Cuba? Seems like one Hell of a stretch to me, but the logic appears to be there.

'I've yet to have a single cooban to remotely taste anything like a Nicaraguan, Dominican, Honduran, Brazilian, Chilean, Costa Rican, whatever......

Maybe the so-called imported tobacco goes into the cigars that are not made for export? There is, to me, a very distinct flavor profile between different regions and I can't imagine this being done to EXPORT quality coobans.'

According to this article though, the unique flavor profiles of Cuban cigars are due to the RH remaining at over 90% most all of the time, and the even fermentation that this results in. Given this, is it then at least conceivable that tobacco from other regions could come to taste Cubanesque if fermented in Cuba? Seems like one Hell of a stretch to me, but the logic appears to be there.

knuck, I just don't think so. Though climate (RH) undoubtedely plays a role in growing and fermenting tobacco I don't believe it's enough to contribute a "Cubanesque" profile in a cigar. In my opinion the over riding factor contributing to the unique properties of certain tobaccos is soil and frankly none is more unique than Cuba. As an example, if I were to take fillers that I grew in Nicaragua and sent them to Cuba for fermenting I don't believe that simply by virtue processing or the RH in a given locale in Cuba it's going to make the tobacco taste any less Nicaraguan. I believe the reverse would be true also.

knuck, I just don't think so. Though climate (RH) undoubtedely plays a role in growing and fermenting tobacco I don't believe it's enough to contribute a "Cubanesque" profile in a cigar. In my opinion the over riding factor contributing to the unique properties of certain tobaccos is soil and frankly none is more unique than Cuba. As an example, if I were to take fillers that I grew in Nicaragua and sent them to Cuba for fermenting I don't believe that simply by virtue processing or the RH in a given locale in Cuba it's going to make the tobacco taste any less Nicaraguan. I believe the reverse would be true also.

Interesting viewpoint John.

As an aside, do you have any, um, opinions about whether there's tobacco going from the DR to Cuba?

I've never seen these lines offered in my B&M. Anyone tried the Adan y Eva's before?? Know where I might be able to pick some up? I'm looking to try this unique tobacco that they have formulated...

BTW - Smokin' an Oliva Serie G torp while I write this. Fine smoke...

mac

Interesting viewpoint John.

As an aside, do you have any, um, opinions about whether there's tobacco going from the DR to Cuba?

tig I've heard a lot about tobacco from Nicaragua going to Cuba which I can in no way substantiate. This is the first I've heard of tobacco from the DR finding it's way into Cuba. Personally I have a diffacult time believing it but a lot of things I've heard lately could (emphasis on could) make it plausable.

mr. mac, I can't take credit for the Oliva cigars. My company only grows tobacco and is completely unrelated to the Oliva's who make cigars. We've been in bussiness for 75 years, they for eleven. Though they do use our wrappers.