• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Don Pepin Black "Cuban Classic"

MartyMcFly

Cigar: Don Pepin Garcia Black
Size: 5x54
Shape: Belicoso

For the past week I have been patiently waiting for today to come. I had a pretty rough week full of studying and preparing for speeches and exams. Today was the first day that I knew I would have a couple hours of down time and since I was in such a good mood I decided to make my first attempt at a review. So ladies and gents here goes!

I was very excited about the said cigar as this was my second DPG and I absolutely loved my first (El Rey De Los Habanos). Upon my first inspection the cigar was gorgeous. It had very few veins and they were minimal at best. The wrapper had a nice glossy look as it was somewhat oily. The overall appearance was very enticing and certainly set the tone for the rest of my smoking experience!

Picture039.jpg

After cutting and lighting I finally took my first draw, which presented a spicy initial taste with an underlying subtle sweetness. The remainder of the first third continued in much the same fashion, however the further along I got the spice seemed to continue to mellow. What I noticed was that as the spice gave way it yielded to a wonderful bready sweetness. This was subtle and very pleasing, never overbearing.

Picture040.jpg

The second third maintained this little essence of spice combined perfectly with its bready sweet accomplice. By now I was completely taken by this cigar. I absolutely loved the balance and it was incredibly smooth. Much of the rest of this cigar smoked the same all the while producing volumes of smoke, and after about an hour it was unfortunately time to lay this baby to rest.

Picture041.jpg

Overall I absolutely love this cigar. It's bready sweet taste combined with the perfect amount of bite made for an intoxicating experience. It burned straight and needn't a single touch-up. My only gripe was that the ash was somewhat flaky, but everything else more than made up for that. The DPG Black now has a spot amongst my favorite smokes to date and I will certainly be picking up more of these next time I stop in at my local shop! This comes highly recommended to anyone wanting to try a Pepin or great cigar for that matter.

Picture047.jpg

Appearance/Construction: 94
Taste: 94
Burn: 92
Overall: 93.33

Just to give credit where it is due my review mimics the style of Turk10mm as I feel he does some of the best reviews on this board! So thanks Turk for the template and subsequently helping me along with my first review. I hope all of you enjoy my first review and I hope it is benificial. Any comments/critiques are welcome. :thumbs:

Nice review and pics. :thumbs:

The Cuban Classic has quickly become one of my favorites. I love this cigar.

Indeed... as my avatar suggests, I love em too! :love: Went through a period where they started to taste a bit harsh to me, so I am continuing to let them rest a bit. Tried one yesterday and was pleasantly surprised that they are on their way back to what I remembered. I am considering the fact that they were "sick" and just need to settle down. Damn, this cigar smoking requires more patience than I ever thought.

Great review. Thanks for sharing it.

mac

Just to give credit where it is due my review mimics the style of Turk10mm as I feel he does some of the best reviews on this board! So thanks Turk for the template and subsequently helping me along with my first review. I hope all of you enjoy my first review and I hope it is benificial. Any comments/critiques are welcome. :thumbs:

Hey man, I'm honored that you'd say that. Great review on a great smoke!! Wow, I don't know what to say. Thanks bro! Keep at it. Some folks think that reviewing takes away from cigar smoking. Personally, it adds to my cigar smoking experience. When I smoke alone, I'm reviewing.

Thanks again man, and I hope to see more reviews from you!

Nice review. I just had a '77 and it was d'lish. One of my favorite daily smokes. IMO some rest and a lower humidity brings out the flavors you mentioned. I had a few fresh ones and they were on the bitter side. Thanks for sharing the experience.

Great review..... :thumbs:

I've really been going through the "Blue Label" smokes lately. Very good as well...... :cool:

Best Regards - B.B.S.

Good review!

The perlas are among my "chosen 10" to keep a box of on hand at all times. I also really like the Beli.

To me, this is just about the perfect cigar.

Great review! I like this cigar, too!

Right now I have three of the Cuban Classics sitting in my humidor, 1 robusto, 1 perla and 1 figurado. I think if I have time this weekend I'm going to try to "catch up" on my smoking time and will burn the robusto and perla along with a few other cigars.

I haven't smoked any perlas yet but I have high hopes. It looks as if it is the perfect size that I have been looking for recently. I've been looking for a relatively short smoke and I hope this is it.

I haven't had many but the Cuban Classic line is steadily becoming one o favorite cigar lines.

Awesome review. As I've said in another thread about these bad-boys, they are now my favorite cigar. I have one left in my humidor I'm saving for my Sunday morning smoke. Next month I'll probably order a box.

btw, I've experienced the flakey ash as well, the longer they sat in my humidor at 60%, the better they did though.

Good review!

The perlas are among my "chosen 10" to keep a box of on hand at all times. I also really like the Beli.

To me, this is just about the perfect cigar.
LB - I also recently discovered the Perla in this blend. As I'm always on the lookout for a great, small smoke, these made my "short list" as well.... :thumbs:

Cheers - B.B.S.

Thanks for the good review. I just finished my first one and really enjoyed it.

Ernie

Very nice review, thanks for sharing.

I have yet to smoke a DPG so cannot comment. ???

Brian

Just smoked my first one the other night, and they are indeed a wonderful cigar. Very very glad I got a 5er of robustos and will def be picking up more myself. To me it was very very spicy, which I enjoyed a ton!