• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Don Pepin Garcia Blue in Robusto

Nowhereman

I've had three of these beauties resting nicely in one of my humidors for a year.
The decision came to me that I should try one of these because I haven't had a Pepin offering in a long time.
So here it is.
Visually stunning as this guy produces near perfect looking cigars.
No visible seams and the cap is perfect.
Under the nose is what I call the Cuban Que; spice and some barnyard.
Pepin like spice bombs.
I went right to my favorite V cut for this cigar as I have never been disappointed by it.
My 1st cold draw made me nervous since it was a tight draw bordering on way too tight.
I told myself, "just relax and light er up".
I did and was met with a cigar that felt like I was drawing cement through a straw.
The flavors were superb, the burn was as good as anything I have ever lit.
Spice and a great earthiness that were balanced to perfection.
This cigar is labeled as a full but the balance was so nice it could of been a medium easily.
I pinched this cigar in places to open it up as it was packed but it did not help.
My stubbornness and the greatness of this cigar kept me from putting it down.
The spice and earth kept going on in perfect unison all the way to the last inch and a half before I said enough is enough.
I understand why so many people like Don Pepin cigars; they are unique.
Two left in the humidor and I will burn another one before this weekend to see if I just got unlucky with the 1st.
I have a skewer ready this time but, I hate using those things.
All in all I can't give it four stars due to the draw thing but, I'm willing to give it another chance.

Attachments

• IMG_4353.JPG
    IMG_4353.JPG
    122.1 KB · Views: 26
That is a great cigar!!!! One of my all time favs.

Next time try dry boxing it over night and see if it opens up for you. All my DPGs like to smoked a bit dryer.

T

Great review.

I agree with the dry box suggestion. Pepin even addressed this early on that his cigars are designed to be smoked on the dry side.

Reactions: MX
I've smoked a ton of DPG Blue cigars. Never had a bad draw. Not one. I can easily recommend that you try dry boxing your sticks. I'd also double check your hygrometer, just to be safe.

Pepin is one of my all time favorite rollers (along w/ Fuente). I've never had a bad Pepin. He crafts some amazing cigars with excellent build and flavor profiles.

Never smoked anything by Pepin. Or maybe I did. Anyhow, flavors sound interesting. Thanks for review.

I've smoked a ton of DPG Blue cigars. Never had a bad draw. Not one. I can easily recommend that you try dry boxing your sticks. I'd also double check your hygrometer, just to be safe.
I recommend you follow the advice of the brothers here. I've had many Pepin sticks, only had one with tight draw issues. An OR El Centurion Belicoso. Back in 08 or so when they were released. I also used to keep my humidor at 70/70 with an obsession. Newbs get over that eventually. I have since stored sticks at 65 and have never had another Pepin stick with the tight draw issue. That said. Cigars are a hand made, organic product, so, you may find one that sneaks through quality control.

OK, pulled em and dropped them into a small humi I use for my Padrons, Liga #9s and My Father Le Bijous.
It runs at 65.
Shouldn't take that long.

...and if you thought it was good with a tight draw.....just wait!

OK, pulled em and dropped them into a small humi I use for my Padrons, Liga #9s and My Father Le Bijous.
It runs at 65.
Shouldn't take that long.

Give them several days....even dry box one for a couple days. I'll bet the draw issues vanish.

Anyone here smoke a lancero? I overlooked the size when ordering a couple of these and low and behold.... I received some lanceros. I've never smoked a cigar that long before.

@CMontoya79 - sent me a robusto, I believe and I enjoyed it very much!

Anyone here smoke a lancero? I overlooked the size when ordering a couple of these and low and behold.... I received some lanceros. I've never smoked a cigar that long before.

@CMontoya79 - sent me a robusto, I believe and I enjoyed it very much!
If it was me, it was likely a 5 5/8 x 46 Exquisitos.

The lanceros are good also.