• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Don Pepin Garcia Blue Label "Firecracker"

CRQuarto

Brrraaaiiinnnsss.....
Don Pepin Garcia Blue Label "Firecracker"
Size: 3" x 50 rg
Wrapper: Nicaraguan Corojo
Binder: Nicaraguan Criollo
Filler: Nicaraguan Corojo / Criollo
Strength: Medium - Full

I recently had the pleasure of participating in Greg's Newbie 101 Pass, during which I was given the chance to snag this little treat. I've had a few of the various vitolas from the DPG Blue Label line, and found them to be very well rounded, full bodied smokes that hit the spot just right. I figured that while this really is just a shorter version of a robusto sized cigar, the novelty design of it is just too cool to pass up!

Pre-Light

Nothing beckons to me more than a cigar with a wrapper that glistens with oils! The reddish hued corojo wrapper hugging this cigar was covered with a great looking sheen that felt as thought it came off on the fingertips, and when brought to the nose I found a deliciously rich tobacco scent. The construction was done in typical Pepin fashion, superb with a nice bit of flair in the novelty fuse-like extra long pigtail cap coupled to a perfectly done Cuban style triple seam cap. The covered foot was a nice touch as well, sure to give an extra kick once lit. The cigar had a good weight in the hand and passed the squeeze test with flying colors, with just a consistent spring to the overall feel of the stick.

Draw & Burn

I decided that I would use the punch on the bottom of my Xikar lighter to open up the head, so I ran the long "fuse" through the punch hole and removed it cleanly after which I found a perfect draw with just the right amount of resistance. Once lit, the sharp, even burn revealed a very tight, white ash that held strong until let go at the halfway point through the smoke.

Flavor Profile

The pre-light draw carried on it a nice woodiness with a touch of good tobacco, and once lit the covered foot gave the start a nice kick of white pepper that subsided after a quarter inch in. Once the flavors settled in and the white pepper subsided, I found a full flavored smoke that tasted of worn leather, cedar, strong tobacco, and that white pepper. The spiciness was very prevalent in the nose and mile long finish, which is unsurprising as this is a Pepin smoke.

Overall Impression

This cigar is typical to the Blue Label line as it a solid performer with rich flavors and mild complexity. I very much enjoyed it for what it is; a short, delicious smoke that will satisfy the full bodied cigar lover. I'd love to get a box of these as not only are they great, short in time smokes, but they also would make for great gifts and bomb fodder.

DSC_2492.jpg

DSC_2485.jpg

DSC_2495.jpg

DSC_2489.jpg

DSC_2482.jpg

DSC_2498.jpg

Pretty unique looking cigar. I'd be up for trying one of those if I could find one. My B&M allows you to smoke for one hour, once a week so I certainly like the idea of a short smoke... and I think that'd fit the bill.

Very interesting looking cigar. I was surprised to read that the ash did not stay on for the entire session. How long did it take to smoke?

Very interesting looking cigar. I was surprised to read that the ash did not stay on for the entire session. How long did it take to smoke?

It probably fell due to me being clumsy. :D I'd say it was probably a 45 minute smoke down to the nub!

It probably fell due to me being clumsy. :D I'd say it was probably a 45 minute smoke down to the nub!

Perfect time for me! Will have to give these a try some time. Thanks for the review Charles.

My pleasure, sir, and thank you for the kind words. :). I'm glad the review helped, that's what I do them for!

This was definitely a hot item in the pass and for good reason as they are really good little smokes. I believe I've only got two left, one of those things where I hate to smoke them as I probably won't be getting any others. I'm sure they'll catch fire one of these days.

Finishing 1 right now that has neen sitting around in my Humi for a while. These things get better with age.

This review brings back memories. The Firecracker is a great little smoke, I had one a long time ago. I'm going to have to find myself a box. :)

Wow! It saddens me that I'd never heard of the Firecracker until this review. I'm a fan of the Blue Label and a fan of short smokes so this looks right up my alley. Excellent review, nice pictures as well.

Back