• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Don Pepin Garcia's

theginguy

Hey everyone,

I been smoking cigars on the weekends now for a couple of years and I've gravitated mostly to Don Pepin's; mostly blues and sometimes the black label's.

They've become my goto smoke. I've tried many brands, but the brands that I've been continually trying and comparing are Tatuaje's, Padron 2000's, Oliva's, Hemingway's and Patel's.

But out of all of these, I keep coming back to Pepin's. I like the flavor profile, the mediumness, the smoothness and coolness.

I'm not looking for looks; the binding and the burn line isn't a big deal for me.

So my question is thus...... I'm pretty sold on Pepin's but I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as far as to any other brand that might come close and or very comparable?

The other two cigars that I've enjoyed are the Tatuaje Havana VI's and the Cuban Cohiba ( I don't remember which one it was and I've only smoked one of these Cohiba's and I haven't tried any american cohiba's, they are a little out of my price range).

But what I'm looking for is a medium cigar with nice coffee/nutty notes, smooth and under $10.00.

I've tried the Oliva V series a couple of times but wan't really a big fan but I've read good things about the Oliva G Maduro's. I might try that one here soon.

Anyway.... if you have any suggestions I would appreciate them, thanks.

A Padron 2000 or 3000 would be my first suggestion as a decent smoke for the price. These aren't as spicy on the tongue as the Pepin smokes are, but IMHO they are darn good.

You said you tried the 2000. What were your impressions on that one...??

A Padron 2000 or 3000 would be my first suggestion as a decent smoke for the price. These aren't as spicy on the tongue as the Pepin smokes are, but IMHO they are darn good.

You said you tried the 2000. What were your impressions on that one...??
I swear you're on the Padron's payroll!.... :laugh:

Joking aside, Tom is right on the money with his advice...the *000 series from Padron is well worth the money and packed with flavor. I suggest you try a few of each starting with the 2000/3000 and work your way up....and remember, they are made in Natural & Maduros...so you have your work cut out for you! Make it a fun journey and write down your impressions as you go, a cigar journal is great for new smokers. One of my favorites is the torpedo (6000) in the Natural wrapper....great cigars for the money.

Good luck... :thumbs:

Tatuaje Browns, Pepin Blue and Padron series are all great. The Oliva Gs are pretty good too, though I haven't had the maduro. The Padron 2000 are the most coffee-like, IMO, but all are great cigars in the price range you mentioned. Maybe try a Bolivar Royal Corona too. More of a creamy coffee flavor but a great smoke nonetheless.

Try the 601's. Red, Green, Black and Red and Blue labels. They're blended by the Pepin's. They are excellent cigars that don't get talked about much.

Doc.

If you like the Pepin stuff, head down to this thread and try the smokes his son blended with Al, one of CP's finest.

Blindedbyscience,

Love your sig btw. :)

Anywho, thank's guys for your reply's. This really helps me narrow things down. I'm a creature of habit, for me; I tend to stick with what I like rather then move around. Especially when it concerns cigars and pipe tobacco. I find what I like and I stick to it. :) Don't get me wrong, I know most like variation..... I'm just not one of them. Lol.

So It's been awhile since I've picked up a Padron, so I'll definitely pay them a revisit as well as the Bolivar's and the 601's

Thanks again. :)

Happy smoking.

If you like the Pepin stuff, head down to this thread and try the smokes his son blended with Al, one of CP's finest.

Will do, thanks tomthirtysix

The Oliva that is closest to Pepin's flavor is the Oliva serie O. Spicy with a nice sweetness.

I just smoked a Brickhouse and it was similar although a Fuente product. I'd wager it was Fuente's answer to this demand for more flavorful cigars.

But the Padron x000s are spicy Nic Puros so they are similar.

Try the 601's. Red, Green, Black and Red and Blue labels. They're blended by the Pepin's. They are excellent cigars that don't get talked about much.

Doc.

I'd have to agree. Great cigars, and can be found for reasonable prices.

What didn't you like about the Oliva V line? The Serie O is still a great cigar in natural and maduro...

Pepin has soooo many different cigars out there now. I really enjoy the San Cristobal guajiro and francisco.

"Smooth, nutty flavors" - I always think of the NC Punch line (the champions are a great cigar).

I always find some spicy notes in the AF Don Carlos #3.

Rocky Patel Sungrown is always decent.

I know what you mean when you say you keep gravitating towards Pepin smokes. I am the exact same way. I always want to try something different, but keep coming back.Just FYI, I found two great Pepin samplers that are on CI right now that are at a great price.

http://www.cigarsinternational.com/prodDisp.asp?item=SP-JXASST23&cat=19&page=

http://www.cigarsinternational.com/prodDisp.asp?item=SP-JXASST24&cat=19&page=

You can get Black Labels, Tatuaje, San Cristobal, 5 Vegas, Blue Box Press, 601. 20 Pepin cigars for $70 and last I saw CI had free shipping through Fathers Day. The only thing, please don't order too many so there are some left for me.

Since we seem to have the same preferences, here are some others I found that were good sticks, at a reasonable cost.

Definitely Padron 2000 or 3000
CAO La Traviata Divino
Brickhouse Robusto
Don Lino 1989 (great in the morning with a cup of coffee)
Cain F Nub
El Baton Torpedo
CAO Brazilia Gol

But what I'm looking for is a medium cigar with nice coffee/nutty notes, smooth and under $10.00.

Try the My Father 2011 limited edition. Let me know, I have only 3 boxes. :laugh:

One of these two is not like the other. One of these two just doesn't belong.
laugh.gif

Doc.

Agreed on the post above 100% and you cannot go wrong with Padron either.

I know what you mean when you say you keep gravitating towards Pepin smokes. I am the exact same way. I always want to try something different, but keep coming back.Just FYI, I found two great Pepin samplers that are on CI right now that are at a great price.

http://www.cigarsinternational.com/prodDisp.asp?item=SP-JXASST23&cat=19&page=

http://www.cigarsinternational.com/prodDisp.asp?item=SP-JXASST24&cat=19&page=

You can get Black Labels, Tatuaje, San Cristobal, 5 Vegas, Blue Box Press, 601. 20 Pepin cigars for $70 and last I saw CI had free shipping through Fathers Day. The only thing, please don't order too many so there are some left for me.

Since we seem to have the same preferences, here are some others I found that were good sticks, at a reasonable cost.

Definitely Padron 2000 or 3000
CAO La Traviata Divino
Brickhouse Robusto
Don Lino 1989 (great in the morning with a cup of coffee)
Cain F Nub
El Baton Torpedo
CAO Brazilia Gol

Awesome, thanks!

Also try Tatuaje Regios (brown label) and the Cabaiguan RX Maduro.

I also love Pepin smokes, tend to go black more than blue but love both. And I also love those two I mentioned so maybe you will too.

Try the My Father 2011 limited edition. Let me know, I have only 3 boxes. :laugh:

One of these two is not like the other. One of these two just doesn't belong.
laugh.gif

LMAO. Sorry. I'm excited to try them. I FINALLY got them in and I am eager to smoke it.
Excited to "try them" or 'sell' them? :whistling: