• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Don Pepin Tabacos Baez - Serie SF (Short Filler) Corona

{tpc}

Professional Poker Tournament Loser
Ok, so here goes with my first review. Something struck me about this cigar in such a way, that I simply HAD to make a review here.

Size: Corona

Wrapper: Nicaraguan Habano

Filler: 70% Cuban-seed Nicaraguan longfiller, 30% short-filler

Cost: $3.85 (at my local B&M)

Length: 6

Ring Gauge: 46

Manufactured: Hand Made

Strength: Medium-bodied

Ok, so first off, my local b&m has a deal where if you purchase any 5 singles you get a free cigar from a certain rack. Typically I don't make a large purchase of singles at any one time because this rack is generally lacking in quality or even new stuff. On this day however, to my surprise, they had this cigar on the rack. What looked to be 2 fresh boxes even. So a shopping I went, and I ended up taking home 2 of these cigars. After letting them rest in the humidor for awhile I decided last night would be the night to try one.

Overall construction was nice for such an inexpensive cigar I thought. I punched the cap and tested out the draw, pre-light. It was loose and a bit borderline in my opinion, but again we are talking about an inexpensive cigar and short filler at that, so I wasn't too concerned. I've had worse in that department. It wasn't quite sucking air through a straw but it was approaching it.

I fired it up and felt the burn was excellent. At least for the amount it burned. I could only smoke roughly 1/4 - 1/2 inch of this stick. The taste could be best described as smoking a very large unfiltered camel cigarette (no offense to unfiltered camel enjoyers). Absolutely horrible. I gave it to my wife to see what she thought, and after the first draw, a horrible look came across her face. Now she is no seasoned cigar smoker, but has enjoyed a few with me in the past. I said "unfiltered camel?" and she said yes handing it back and repeatedly told me to put it down and go get a "good cigar". I rebuffed that request and tried to give it some more time, but she was right, it had to go down. Pretty much ruined my night as I didn't even want another cigar after that.

I will hold on to the other and let it age longer and see if that helps, or give it to some unknowing buddy that will only smoke that 1st 1/4 inch anyways. It didn't taste "young" or "sick" by any means, but maybe it was just that. Time will tell I guess.

On a scale of 1 to 5 stars, I would give this 1 star and only because the construction seemed nice (despite the draw) and the burn was pretty even from the get go.

Thanks for the review. I enjoy most of Pepin's blends, but stayed away from this because of the short filler. While that may or may not be the reason for its poor performance...I'm glad I stayed away.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I had two wildly different experiences, myself.

First, I bought a box that was amazing. I never believed a short filler could be so good. However, it did require a few days in the humi to dry them out.

Second, I bought another box and they were completely dried to a husk and tasted horrible. No recovery possible and I returned them for a refund.

Can;t get much more different than that! Since then, I bought and smoked a box of Tabacos Baez serie H Robustos and enjoyed them even more than the other two versions.

P.S.

Also, I have returned a record number of purchases lately. I don't know why so many. Could be dumb luck or ... who knows. But they were all the same problem - very dry.

Very interesting vortex. Since the local b&m is fairly new, I make the assumption that the smokes I had were relatively fresh. They did not feel or act dried out at all, but didn't seem wet either, hence why I made my attempt. I have heard good things about the other Tabaco Baez smokes (not SF ones) so may have to try them some day as well. I've had some subpar smokes in the past but this one took the cake as they say.

Dang it. I have a bundle on order. :angry:

At least my expectations are super low now. Got to look at the positives.

Very interesting vortex. Since the local b&m is fairly new, I make the assumption that the smokes I had were relatively fresh. They did not feel or act dried out at all, but didn't seem wet either, hence why I made my attempt. I have heard good things about the other Tabaco Baez smokes (not SF ones) so may have to try them some day as well. I've had some subpar smokes in the past but this one took the cake as they say.
I recommend the Serie H at no more than 65% RH. Great Habano wrapper like what he used to use on his blue label line before he started using the darker ones. Never could figure out that change.

For what they are, I think it is tough to beat. The filler is comprised of tobacco from San Cristobal, LADC, and My Father. They are nothing out of this world but are nice little yard 'gars.

Well I finally got around to smoking the other one about a week ago while doing some yard work. So after about 9 months of resting time in the humidor. I am willing to revise my previous rating (not that it meant anything anyways lol) from 1 of 5 stars to 2.5 of 5 stars. This time around, it was like a completely different cigar, with exception of the draw which was almost identical. The flavor was not that of the aforementioned unfiltered camel cig as before, which was a nice change of pace. I can't nail down exactly what one might call a flavor profile as I am just not good at such things, but I would call it mild to slight medium in strength. It was exactly what I had expected of the first one (which let me down) and of a $3 budget type cigar.

Will I seek these out? Doubt it. But I won't be as hesistant to try one again the 3rd time around. Hopefully the first one I had was just a bit off and most of these are similar to the second one I tried. Either that or it was just too young and needed more time to rest in the humidor.

Well I finally got around to smoking the other one about a week ago while doing some yard work. So after about 9 months of resting time in the humidor. I am willing to revise my previous rating (not that it meant anything anyways lol) from 1 of 5 stars to 2.5 of 5 stars. This time around, it was like a completely different cigar, with exception of the draw which was almost identical. The flavor was not that of the aforementioned unfiltered camel cig as before, which was a nice change of pace. I can't nail down exactly what one might call a flavor profile as I am just not good at such things, but I would call it mild to slight medium in strength. It was exactly what I had expected of the first one (which let me down) and of a $3 budget type cigar.

Will I seek these out? Doubt it. But I won't be as hesistant to try one again the 3rd time around. Hopefully the first one I had was just a bit off and most of these are similar to the second one I tried. Either that or it was just too young and needed more time to rest in the humidor.

For $3, give the 3 x 3's or 4 x 4's on bestcigarprices.com a shot. They are Davidoff seconds. I've smoked through a bundle plus a few myself, and Jon (soulpuppy), has also had a number of them and we both were impressed with how good they were. Very consitent in taste, the only issue we have encountered has been construction, but, heck it's a second.

Tony...I bought a box of these when they were rated pretty high on the CA top 25 a few years back. Man did they suck! I was hard pressed to smoke them as yardgars. The box was the nicest part of the deal...I hated to throw it away! They didn't taste 'young'...they smoked hot and burned very quickly due the them being lightly filled I think.

I have to look to see if I have a few singles left to try one again...although I suspect they wouldn't improve much with age.